Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Freezing Randomly - Possible Water Damage

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 adaleenx3

adaleenx3

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:20 PM

So, in the past my computer has had issues with freezing randomly, but since this only happened once or twice per week, I never devoted a ton of time into fixing it. But, during a storm this week, my place received heavy roof damage, and flooded quite a bit. I'm unsure if water got into my computer directly (I waited 24 hours just in case), but the power strip it was plugged into was under water. The wall that the power strip was plugged into, was also soaked to the point where it was pouring water from the sockets and outlets. 

Well, now it's gone from crashing once or twice a week, to instantly crashing 3 times within 10 minutes. I've completely moved my computer into another room (that had no damage), and it plugged into a wall directly.

Should I submit it to insurance as damaged or does anyone have any suggestions? We already have a claim open with insurance for the damage to the house and I've already started a list of other damaged items to submit. We're already paying just over $2,000 USD in a deductible since the house has about $5,000-$8,000 damages before including furniture and what not, so we've already stared that.

Notes: Computer would freeze while doing homework or gaming, it wasn't picky. If I used the windows 10 feature to reinstall windows, it always resulted in an error. I purchased a ssd and have done a clean install of window with no luck in the past. Updating windows is out of the question as it freezes. Already done full checks for viruses 10x over. If using my wireless network adapter, it sometimes boots it off my computer, and won't reconnect without restarting my computer. 

Should I submit it to insurance as damaged or does anyone have any suggestions on what I could try first?

Originally Built on a $1,000 budget.

Processor: AMD Fx™-6300 Six-Core Processor 3.5 GHz

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960

RAM: 16.0 GB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,831 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2018 - 09:06 PM

any suspicion of water damage is serious.  A complete inspection is called for here, looking for any obvious signs of water, especially if the unit hasn't been cleaned in a while, a little moisture will make mud pies from the dust.

#3 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 810 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:48 AM

when ever electronics get wet you should always pull the battery, if it has one.  and power cords and any external device that is self powered and is attached by a cable.  then turn it on it's side so gravity can assist in drying out your computer (turning whatever on its side so the pc board is vertical and moisture can seep to the bottom).  and I always wait longer then 24 hrs (3-4 days) because if it there is a lot of humidity in the air then it's going to take longer to dry.

If it's something you value then you should dis-assemble it and dry it manually.  especially is the liquid contains any sugar.  sugar & electricity don't go well together.

Edited by mightywiz, 11 July 2018 - 09:49 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users