Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Audio not working with Realtek Drivers on Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mwest26

mwest26

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 10 July 2018 - 06:38 PM

About a couple of weeks ago, I discovered that the audio on my PC wasn't working. My speakers have a volume knob and I keep them turned off 90% of the time so I don't know how long this has actually been a problem, but I actually discovered it a couple weeks ago when I tried to turn my speakers on and no sound played. First, I tried my speakers on another PC and they worked fine. I then tried another set of speakers on my PC and they did not work. My PC is custom built and the speakers are plugged into the Line Out jack on the back, which is where they have always been. I have attempted to uninstall all drivers from the device manager in the Sound, Video, and Game Controllers category. The same drivers get re-installed and the issue is not fixed. When I open the sound settings from the control panel, the Playback tab shows two enabled sound devices: Realtek Digital Output and Realtek Digital Output(Optical). I have tried setting both of these as the default device and no sound will play for either of them.
194838d1530925572-audio-not-working-real
There is a "Speakers" device, which shows as not plugged in. Now, here is where it gets interesting. If I plug the speakers into the "Side", "Rear", or "C/Sub" jacks, then the "Speakers" device will show as plugged in. I can right-click the device and choose "Configure Speakers". If I choose one of the audio channels, (usually 7.1 surround), I can click on each individual speaker in the layout shown and one of them will make a sound. Which one makes the sound depends on which jack I connect it to, but it's always a speaker that I don't actually have (i.e. SR or RL). I have two speakers, so whenever I uncheck all of the optional speakers, leaving me with "L" and "R", neither of those two speakers work. I am really at a loss here. This seems like it is something that should be easy to fix, especially by uninstalling and re-installing the drivers. I am on Windows 10 Version 1803.

I should also mention that I uninstalled all drivers from the device manager and then installed the audio driver from the disk that came with my motherboard. It simply re-installed the Realtek driver and NVIDIA driver. As before, I have the same two Realtek devices to choose from and neither of them work. As far as the NVIDIA driver, that is for the HDMI ports, which I don't have speakers for. When I right-click the sound Icon in the bottom right corner of my screen and click Troubleshoot Sound Problems, this is what comes up (suggesting NVIDIA is for HDMI).  It might also be worth mentioning that my PC is custom built.  I built it in 2013 and installed Windows 8 on it.  I upgraded to Windows 10 three years ago and haven't had any sound problems until now.  I've done all the basic stuff and am really at a loss.  Any ideas would be appreciated!

194903d1530974531t-audio-not-working-rea
194904d1530974542-audio-not-working-real

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 598 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 10 July 2018 - 08:49 PM

Hi, using powershell we can discover what windows has for your sound drivers.

Press win + x keys together and select Powershell(admin), an elevated powershell prompt will open.

Copy these two cmdlets  seperately and after each one right click anywhere in the powershell window, the cmd will append to the prompt, press enter. This will tell us the name of the device and the driver version, Two notepads will open, (make a note of the version numbers)

Get-WmiObject Win32_PnPSignedDriver| select devicename, driverversion | where {$_.devicename -like "*NVIDIA High Definition Audio*"} | out-file $home\sound1.txt

start notepad $home\sound1.txt

Get-WmiObject Win32_PnPSignedDriver| select devicename, driverversion | where {$_.devicename -like "*Realtek High Definition Audio*"} | out-file $home\sound.txt
start notepad $home\sound.txt

Next still in powershell type:- 

cmd (press enter) a cmd prompt will open in powershell.

Copy this cmd and right click anywhere in the powershell window it will append to the prompt, press enter.

wmic sounddev get Caption, DeviceID, PNPDeviceID, Manufacturer, status /Format:List > 0 & notepad 0

Notepad will open with details about your sound cards these include a Ven & Dev number, you can check these numbers on the manufacturers web site to ensure you have the right drivers. Make a note of the driver version number and make sure it is latter then your current version.

#3 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2018 - 10:53 PM

Have you explored the right click menus for your audio stuff ?

screenshot_48.jpg

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#4 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 598 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:42 AM

Hi medab1, post #1 shows a screen shot of device manager if there was a device problem (such as, there is a problem with this device..) then the device manager would flag this. I suspect a setting or driver incompatibility problem. We need to check drivers first.

#5 mwest26

mwest26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2018 - 06:44 PM

Hi jenae.  Thanks for the info.  I ran the commands and here is the information that I got:

devicename                   driverversion
----------                   -------------
NVIDIA High Definition Audio 1.3.30.1     

devicename                    driverversion
----------                    -------------
Realtek High Definition Audio 6.0.1.6699   

Caption=Realtek High Definition Audio
DeviceID=HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0887&SUBSYS_10438444&REV_1003\4&137BA947&0&0001
Manufacturer=Realtek
PNPDeviceID=HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0887&SUBSYS_10438444&REV_1003\4&137BA947&0&0001
Status=OK

Caption=NVIDIA High Definition Audio
DeviceID=HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10DE&DEV_0041&SUBSYS_10438434&REV_1001\5&230D4A8A&0&0001
Manufacturer=NVIDIA
PNPDeviceID=HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10DE&DEV_0041&SUBSYS_10438434&REV_1001\5&230D4A8A&0&0001
Status=OK

I am not 100% sure what I need to do with this info.  You had mentioned checking the manufacturer's website.  My PC was custom built, so does that mean I should check the manufacturer of the motherboard?  I have an M5 A97 R2.0.  When I search in google, it brings up this page:  https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/M5A97_R20/HelpDesk_Download/

On here, there is a newer version of the Realtek driver:  6.01.7848.  Should I download and install that?

#6 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 598 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2018 - 08:22 PM

Hi, yes give them a try. Since the spring update v1803 MS have defaulted the driver download to windows, you need to reset it back to NO (drivers should only come from the manufactures web site OR the MB if built in).

Press the win +r keys together, in the run dialogue box copy:-

Rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL Sysdm.cpl,,2

Press enter, open "device installation settings" put a check in NO and save changes.

#7 mwest26

mwest26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2018 - 06:36 PM

Ok, I tried downloading the latest driver from https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/M5A97_R20/HelpDesk_Download/ (I made sure to select Windows 10 64-bit in the dropdown.)  The sound still isn't working.  Here is the information I get now when I run those commands:

devicename                   driverversion
----------                   -------------
NVIDIA High Definition Audio 1.3.30.1     

devicename                    driverversion
----------                    -------------
Realtek High Definition Audio 6.0.1.7848   

Caption=Realtek High Definition Audio
DeviceID=HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0887&SUBSYS_10438444&REV_1003\4&137BA947&0&0001
Manufacturer=Realtek
PNPDeviceID=HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0887&SUBSYS_10438444&REV_1003\4&137BA947&0&0001
Status=OK

Caption=NVIDIA High Definition Audio
DeviceID=HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10DE&DEV_0041&SUBSYS_10438434&REV_1001\5&230D4A8A&0&0001
Manufacturer=NVIDIA
PNPDeviceID=HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10DE&DEV_0041&SUBSYS_10438434&REV_1001\5&230D4A8A&0&0001
Status=OK

Any other ideas?  I'm really at a loss.  This is normally something I can fix with a simple driver re-install (possibly preceded by a google search).

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2018 - 06:46 PM

In Windows control panel select large or small icons vs category view. You should see the Realtek HD Manager icon. It this what you used to for sound settings? If not then open it. There may be some settings there you need to tweak. This is a Windows 8 thread but some of the responses may help.

24606-c99271e3a117e320e6c8f9faf15a06f7.j​

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 July 2018 - 06:47 PM.

#9 dhagerjohns

dhagerjohns

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2018 - 07:31 AM

Press the Windows Key + R and type services.msc in the dialog box, and press OK.  Scroll down to Windows Audio, and make sure it is set to automatic, and turned on.  You can double-click on the entry to open the dialog box to make changes.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2018 - 07:36 AM

Press the Windows Key + R and type services.msc in the dialog box, and press OK.  Scroll down to Windows Audio, and make sure it is set to automatic, and turned on.  You can double-click on the entry to open the dialog box to make changes.

In the original post it was stated sound does come from the speakers.

I can click on each individual speaker in the layout shown and one of them will make a sound.

If that was the case wouldn't the service be active? I may be wrong on this though.

#11 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2018 - 08:35 AM

Maybe Troubleshooting ?

screenshot_52.jpg

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#12 mwest26

mwest26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2018 - 08:39 PM

In Windows control panel select large or small icons vs category view. You should see the Realtek HD Manager icon. It this what you used to for sound settings? If not then open it. There may be some settings there you need to tweak. This is a Windows 8 thread but some of the responses may help.

24606-c99271e3a117e320e6c8f9faf15a06f7.j​

Fixed it!  In the control panel, there was a Realtek HD Audio Manager icon.  I clicked on that, then clicked on the connector settings wrench icon shown here.Attached File  realtek control panel.png   344.16KB   0 downloads

In the next window, the HD Audio Front Panel option was selected.  I changed that to AC97 front panel and voila the sound is working!

Attached File  connector settings.jpg   69.15KB   0 downloads

Thank you for leading me to this!

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2018 - 08:58 PM

You're Welcome,

Glad you got is sorted although using AC-97 is not HD audio.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users