Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Share Drive Access Outside Of Network

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 milkyway12

milkyway12

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 10 July 2018 - 06:17 PM

Hey, guys, super easy question for most of you, but believe it or not .. I do not know the answer to this .. actually .. i sorta do, but I feel like I am missing something.

We have a Windows Server 2008 R2. On this server, I want to setup for myself and my plant manager to be able to access the Shared Company Folder outside of the Network of the Factory Site.

We can all access the Shared Drive as long as we're plugged in or connected to the on site Network .. however .. I need to be able to have access to the Shared Drive on this server outside of that Network. 

------

We both are using Windows 10 Home Edition - is there a way for me to be able to access the Shared Drive without having to use something like CloudBerry Remote Assistant or Team Viewer.

For example .. just setting it up as a "Drive G: or Drive Z: ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:12 PM

Remote access VPN is your best option. The other option is to setup a SFTP server software secured with RSA keys.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 milkyway12

milkyway12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 10 July 2018 - 08:24 PM

Some how a previous technician just setup a drive (G:) on the plant managers computer, and he accessed the Shared Folder like he would his (C:) drive.

I understand you can map the drive onsite and have it sitting in File Explorer where you can see it and access it, but some how he had setup where he would just click that Shared Folder like a drive and access it even off site.

Were sure its only a VPN service like Team Viewer that gives him this access?

If you go to Advanced Sharing / Network you can create a workplace connection. Like file:\\VCfactory/Company Shared Drive

That works fine when on the same Network but he somehow got that to work while offsite.

Edited by milkyway12, 10 July 2018 - 08:32 PM.

#4 tristar

tristar

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 13 July 2018 - 09:00 AM

He probably had Offline files setup, this would carry a "local copy" of the files and sync them back once he connected to the network.

#5 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 15 July 2018 - 08:48 AM

Per Sneakycyber, you wouldn't want to expose that shared drive publicly. Best options are VPN, SFTP server with secured keys, or if you have Office365, a shared OneDrive folder with locked-down permissions. You can sync the OneDrive to your computers, access it from a browser, or both.

Per tristar, Offline Files is another option, but it gets messy when it comes time to sync if you've both made changes to the same file while offline.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users