Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

start menu right-click menu closing

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tronaquar

tronaquar

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 10 July 2018 - 05:52 PM

hello, first post here so the title is my problem.

If i go to start menu search option and type any app and right-click on it (to run as administrator) the menu closes instantly.

If i restart my computer it does work again for a timeperiod, not sure how long it takes to malfunction.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PlasmaWaffle

PlasmaWaffle

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 10 July 2018 - 06:47 PM

Right-click crashes are typically caused by third-party shell extensions. To identify the culprit, you need to use an utlity like ShellExView, and disable non-Microsoft context menu handlers one by one (or disable items in a batch) and observe.

ShellExView - Shell Extension Manager For Windows: 

And the instructions are here (see "Method 2")

#3 tronaquar

tronaquar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:06 AM

wow alright thanks for your intel, i will give this a shot when i have some time on my hands.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:24 AM

You can also perform a Clean Boot to see if there is a third party service causing this.

How to perform a Clean Boot.

Warning:  Disabling items in Services or Startup may leave your anitivius disabled until the process is ended.  For this reason I would suggest that you perform this process off line.

Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the R key to open Run, then type msconfig in the search box.  This will open System Configuration.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, you should enter the password or provide confirmation.

1. Click/tap on the General tab.   

2. Click/tap on the Selective startup option.

3. Remove the check mark in the Load startup items  check box.

clean-boot-1.png

4.  Click on the Services tab.

5.  Place a check mark in the Hide all Microsoft services check box, this will remove the Microsoft Services from the list but will still be running.

6.  Click Disable all, this will remove all of the check marks in the Services list.

clean-boot2.png

7.  Click on Hide all Microsoft services.  Click on Apply then OK  

clean-boot3.png

Click on Restart in the window that opens.

When the computer is restarted it will boot normally.  

If the problem does not continue after the restart please do the following.

8.  Divide the number of these services by two and you place checks in the first half of these, then restart the computer.

9.  If the problem doesn't return in those services remove the checks and place checks in the remaining services and restart the computer.

10.  When you find which half the service is in go on to the next step.  

11. The half which has the service causing this problem remove half of the checks as you did previously to see which half has this service.  Restart the computer.  

12.  If it isn't in the first half of these services, do the same with the last half of the services.

13.  Once you have narrowed it down to the last three or four services remove the checks one at a time till you find the service at fault.

Once you have found the service post it in your topic.  

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 tronaquar

tronaquar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:29 PM

@dc3 @PlasmaWaffle thanks for your help, do i get these problems becouse of a virus / malware? I also noticed today and yesterday my computer did not go into sleepmode. i have about 26 processes. https://gyazo.com/f39b32f4f56ac9ef61de2c67c2664dfa as you can see, maybe you can already identify a culprit? that i can't run stuff as admin through the start menu search option after a while does not bother me that much so i could disable 1 of those every day. if it is not virus/ malware related atleast. 

#6 tronaquar

tronaquar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2018 - 03:09 PM

the sleep mode is probally becouse of my xbox controller i read this https://appuals.com/fix-windows-10-wont-sleep-automatically/ and a bell ringed in #3 since i plugged in my xbox controller 2 days ago and it suddenly started happening.

#7 tronaquar

tronaquar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2018 - 03:13 PM

yes, confirmed my computer not going into sleepmode is becouse of having a xbox controller plugged in. Pretty random stuff for the paranoid.

#8 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 930 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:44 PM

Hi, good advice from the previous posters, you do need to read the instructions for the nirsoft utils, maybe give us a screen shot of your current right click context menu.

This site is very comprehensive (and trustworthy) The Nirsoft programs (you need two utils) are towards the bottom and instructions are included. (applies to win 10 as well).

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/how-to-clean-up-your-messy-windows-context-menu/

You appear to have Avast, Malwarebytes (I hope that is the free version) and elements of McAfee on your machine. Any AV apart from windows defender is a problem for a home users computer. Two AV's will and do conflict with each other. My advice to improve your security and performance, use Avast's uninstaller and McAfee's uninstaller and be rid of them, use only the free version of malwarebytes if you must, I don't recommend it, and use what most of us do now, Widows defender.

#9 tronaquar

tronaquar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2018 - 06:33 AM

thanks for the help @jenae it is this menu that i have trouble with. https://gyazo.com/abb8adde3242705e3a73c8e397b471bb

when i turn on computer and search something in start menu right click always works fine then after a while 1 hour - 2 hours it instantly dissapears and i am not able to use it untill i restart again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users