Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp-pro Logs Me Off Immediately I Log On

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 chris manson

chris manson

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 11 October 2006 - 12:17 AM

Problem: cannot recover data from protected user ID.

This HDD was full of rubbish, so I removed the drive and made it "D:" in a clean PC and scanned it with up-to-date AVG Free and then 'Norman'

Everything seemed OK, but when I put the HDD back in it's own PC and started again, the logon problem began. I have the passwords to both accounts, including Administrator, but the same thing happens on all accounts.

I can access the HDD by adding it into another PC, but the XP-Pro system ( on the 2nd PC) denies me access to the user files on the "D:" drive. Seems someone enabled security. Normally a good idea(?)

Anyway, I need to recover two years of email and addresses for a doctor at a charity clinic here in East Timor.

Any help would be much appreciated!

thanks
chris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 11 October 2006 - 11:13 AM

The simple fix here is to take ownership of the files. In practical use, it may be a bit more complicated (permissions are sorta flakey!). This fix doesn't apply if the EFS is used (or the folders were made "Private") - that requires that the user has made a backup of the privacy key.

In XPPro, right click on the file/folder in question and select Properties, then the Security tab, then the Advanced button, then the Ownership tab. Double click on your username in the dialog box and then click on OK to change the owner of the files (also, ensure that the checkbox below the usernames is checked so that ownership will be carried down through the directory structure).

That should allow you to access the file/folder and you should be able to copy it. Copy it to a FAT32 disk in order to be sure that the file permissions are gone.

Here's some links about Access Denied errors:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/42756/how-to-fix-an-access-denied-errors/
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertz...p;cr=US&p=1
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users