Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No image on monitor but pc boots fine!!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Dinasticks

Dinasticks

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 10 July 2018 - 03:01 PM

So recently I bought a new gpu and power supply but I now face a new problem. My pc boots perfectly without problems, but there is simply no image with my gpu... I can even press Alt+F4 followed by enter to shut it down when it is finished booting! Using On-Board video works perfectly.
I have tried dozends of things like:
Resetting BIOS
Reseating RAM
Trying a different cable for monitor
Uninstalling drivers and reinstalling them
Reinserting it in my mobo countless times
Etc.

Please help guys ive been struggling like this for weeks and I'm close to shunning this thing out the door!

My specs are:
Intel I3 3.2 ghz
Nvidia GT 1030 Aero Itx
4 gb ddr3

Here is a little story that will help : When I booted up the gpu for the first time my monitor got a signal and I was able to install drivers. After that I ran a game (osu!) and there was an fps cap in the settings menu which I changed from 120 to 240. Right as I changed this my pc rebooted and this was where my monitor stopped getting info from my gpu. A few minutes later I realised my Power Supply was too low and so I got a brand new 480 watt which was more than enough for my gpu, but sadly this didn't solve my problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 846 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:43 PM

Older monitors used to have there own internal CPU which would say SIGNAL OUT OF RANGE meaning the horizontal or vertical frequency would not work with that monitor.  Do you get the BIOS screen when you turn it on?

What is the make and model of the "mobo"?

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#3 Dinasticks

Dinasticks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 02:01 PM

DavisMcCarn
I am able to get to the bios screen but the problem is I can't see anything because the screen is black.
I have a MSI MS - 7613 ver 1.1

#4 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 846 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 03:23 PM

Have you tried removing the NVidia card and using the onboard video on the system board?

P.S. Is this an HP PC?

#5 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 846 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 03:26 PM

Oh, you answered the onboard question in your first posting; but, if it is an HP PC, lots of them absolutely hate non approved GPU's and the BIOS checks.  Was there an older GPU and what was it?

#6 Dinasticks

Dinasticks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 03:45 PM

My pc had an older gpu. GT 630
I think it is hp but I don't really know how to check xp

#7 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 846 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 03:48 PM

Does the old GPU still work and have you tried it?

#8 Dinasticks

Dinasticks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 03:54 PM

The old GT 630 broke. Old age and such. It's the reason why I got the GT 1030

#9 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 11 July 2018 - 05:55 PM

Sounds to me that you need to change this setting for fps back to 120 since that is what appears to have broken the system.

Depending on how you made the change this might be a little tricky, depending on where this change was made. I suspect that you may not be able to revert this change using the on-board graphics as the computer will not be looking at your video card which will make seeing the 1030 difficult !  You may need to find some willing friend who will allow you to mount it in his computer. Still it is always worth trying to see if you can do this using the on-board graphics.

Chris Cosgrove

#10 Dinasticks

Dinasticks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:42 AM

The reason why the 240 fps made my system crash was because there wasn't enough power. I put the gpu under load. Thats why I bought a new psu...
And the fps setting is an option ingame (osu! Is a rhytm game that requires the lowest latency possible. The game was designed to handel unlimited fps stablely)
I am trying to get another rig in hand but I don't bet I can get one.

#11 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 846 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:40 AM

1) Remove the 1030 card and boot using the onboard video which you said works fine.

2) Go to Programs and Features in the control panel (Start Settings or WinKey+R and APPWIZ.CPL in the run box)

3) Uninstall the NVidia drivers (all of them if there are more than one).

4) Reboot when asked to do so and redo #2 until they are all gone.

5) Shut the PC down and turn it back on to confirm it is working OK.

6) Shut it down again and put the 1030 card back in.

7) Move the video back to the 1030 card and turn the PC back on.

8) Install the Nvidia drivers again if Windows doesn't do it for you automatically.

The GT1030 card only consumes 30 Watts so the bank screen was not caused by the PSU (period)

https://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt-1030/specifications

I think you simply forced the card to use a higher frequency than your monitor could deal with which will result in a blank screen so be careful about doing it again.

#12 Dinasticks

Dinasticks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2018 - 11:49 AM

I just did that and the result is still a blank screen.
I uninstalled the drivers of my card and started up my pc but the screen is still blank.
This is so strange. I did the same thing yesterday and it worked but when I shut it down it started giving a black screen again.

#13 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 846 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:15 PM

We have got to know the model of HP that you have.

With the PC turned of (!!!!), look on the bottom of the tower.  The same sticker that has the serial number should have the HP model number and/or the product number (almost always ends in #ABA).  Can you post one of them, please?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users