Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ATX case with hard drive bay facing front to rear, not sideways

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 nonaste

nonaste

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 10 July 2018 - 11:40 AM

I'm looking for the old style ATX case where the hard drive bays mount the hard drive with the connectors facing the rear of the case and NOT facing the side of the case. Does anybody still make a case in that configuration?  I do routine drive cloning and my backup drives are not mounted in the case.  Before I could open one side of the case and swap hard drives.  With these new cases it's necessary to open both sides of the case. Very inconvenient.  I'm not looking for a case with a rotatable hard drive cage.  Too expensive.  I tried the sata to usb adapters for cloning but these adapters have been unreliable.  Using the computer connectors always work but the way they build these new ATX cases make the cloning job more difficult to as I can not quickly remove/install hard drives.

Edited by nonaste, 10 July 2018 - 11:45 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2018 - 02:23 PM

Maybe something like this would work for you.  That way you just need a couple of 5.25" external slots, which should be easy enough to find.

#3 nonaste

nonaste
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2018 - 03:04 PM

Maybe something like this would work for you.  That way you just need a couple of 5.25" external slots, which should be easy enough to find.

Yes.  Thank you.  I didn't know this device was available.  I believe it is exactly the solution to my problem.  Thank for the heads up.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 10 July 2018 - 04:02 PM

I'm not 100% on this but check out the DIYPC range at newegg. I believe those cases have what you are looking for.

#5 nonaste

nonaste
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:02 AM

I'm not 100% on this but check out the DIYPC range at newegg. I believe those cases have what you are looking for.

Thank you. Previously I tried Amazon, Ebay and even Craigslist with no luck.  I also tried  Newegg earlier but not under the DIY heading.

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:12 AM

There are also external USB powered docking stations:

https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-External-Enclosure-Docking-ST0014U-D/dp/B01J4XNLN6/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ll1&tag=fabathome-20&linkId=271e46c027d315c164374d0245d93c9e

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#7 nonaste

nonaste
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:55 PM

Thanks for the link.  Does anybody know which of these devices has the superior reliablity?  Or is it a crap shoot like with the sata to usb adapters?

#8 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:38 AM

I have been using Orico for several years, and never had one fail on me yet. I set up my wife's system with one of these 4 years ago and it is still good. I set up clients' backup systems using these, and so far nobody has complained of failure. If you want multiple bays, Orico also has dual-bay units. Can they fail? Sure they can, I am sure there are some that do. But if you read the users' reviews you can get a pretty good idea that the failures are in the low-minority.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#9 nonaste

nonaste
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2018 - 06:11 AM

I have been using Orico for several years, and never had one fail on me yet. I set up my wife's system with one of these 4 years ago and it is still good. I set up clients' backup systems using these, and so far nobody has complained of failure. If you want multiple bays, Orico also has dual-bay units. Can they fail? Sure they can, I am sure there are some that do. But if you read the users' reviews you can get a pretty good idea that the failures are in the low-minority.

Thanks for the recommendation.  If it's a electronic device it can fail, usually at the most inconvenient time. Lol.  But I definitely need something like this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users