Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 or older version? Z83-F Mini PC

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 donisonleague

donisonleague

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 10 July 2018 - 10:59 AM

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but it's probably the closer to the theme of the thread.

If not, please feel free to move it to the right section.

I've recently bought a Z83-F Mini PC, which comes with Windows 10 pre-installed.

Now, i'm going to use the Mini PC for working purposes, so it will be running browsing and adobe flash instances 24/7.

I'll be able to physically access the machine and reboot it from time to time, to avoid excessive RAM consumption or CPU temps.

The Mini PC features an Atom x5-z8350 CPU (2M Cache, up to 1.92GHz) and 4 GB of RAM.

I was thinking, should i replace W10 with an older version of Windows to lower the pressure on the machine? Maybe going back to W7, or at least W8? Buying licenses is not a problem, since i get refunded.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,844 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 10 July 2018 - 12:34 PM

I doubt that will gain you anything, really.

Just turn off pretty much anything that can run in the background (Settings, Privacy, Background Apps) that you know you won't be using and the resource footprint of Win10 could very well be lighter than either Win8.1 or 7.

I certainly wouldn't be rushing out to replace the OS without trying what came with the machine and what is the only version of Windows that is currently scheduled to be maintained past 2023 (2020, if we're talking Win7, and that's almost here).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,335 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2018 - 03:53 PM

Ha, cool little pc!  Did this one come with the horrible little 32GB eMMC System Disk?  And if so, you are aware of the limited drive space with Windows 10 installed?  And almost inevitable inability to upgrade Windows once drive space has been limited by other software?

Are you using an SD Card to expand your usable software and file space?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#4 donisonleague

donisonleague
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2018 - 04:26 AM

Ha, cool little pc!  Did this one come with the horrible little 32GB eMMC System Disk?  And if so, you are aware of the limited drive space with Windows 10 installed?  And almost inevitable inability to upgrade Windows once drive space has been limited by other software?

Are you using an SD Card to expand your usable software and file space?

Yes, yes and yes.

I'm using a 128GB SD Card.

There won't be any software installed except for:

>Speccy

>My job software (1-2 GB)

>A downloader software

Atm the CPU is running @ 70C (Before it was 80C but i placed an alluminium plate under the pc and it's working pretty well).

CPU is often close to 100%.

RAM is kinda fine. 1-2 GB are always available.

@britechguy what else could i turn off?

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,335 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2018 - 07:28 AM

After turning off almost all Privacy Settings and Hotspot 2.0 I'm still using 1.6GB of RAM with nothing open.  3.6GB now with Chrome and 14 Tabs open.  Terrible!  Literally that is all I have open except for Task Manager.  I think it uses more RAM with all these things turned off lol.

Edited by pcpunk, 13 July 2018 - 07:29 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,827 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2018 - 07:49 AM

Good luck when Windows 10 wants to do the next major upgrade.  :)  I'm not sure how that will work with such a small OS drive. Is this 32bit or 64bit Windows? The reason I ask is because of the 4GB limit on the computer. 

I would consider installing shutup 10 after shutting down everything in Windows 10 Privacy settings. Do not disable Defender.

Something is causing your 100%CPU usage. You can see what is using your CPU usage in the Resource Monitor. Click the process in the upper pane showing the high CPU usage. In the lower pane you will see the service attached to that process.

#7 donisonleague

donisonleague
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2018 - 08:06 AM

Good luck when Windows 10 wants to do the next major upgrade.  :)  I'm not sure how that will work with such a small OS drive. Is this 32bit or 64bit Windows? The reason I ask is because of the 4GB limit on the computer. 

I would consider installing shutup 10 after shutting down everything in Windows 10 Privacy settings. Do not disable Defender.

Something is causing your 100%CPU usage. You can see what is using your CPU usage in the Resource Monitor. Click the process in the upper pane showing the high CPU usage. In the lower pane you will see the service attached to that process.

It's 64bit.
I'm not really worried for the updates, 25GB should be enough for most and if not i can always downgrade. I guess i'll avoid compulsory upgrades if bigger than that at least 😂
Anyway, CPU significant processes are two: the one i use for work and windef sometimes. CPU is running @70% most of the time, with no turbo boost though

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,827 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2018 - 08:11 AM

Windef would be Windows Defender, your antivirus. Just curious. Are you saying you have 25GB of free space on the 32GB drive? 

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,844 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2018 - 08:13 AM

Most modern OSes will intentionally try to maximize the use of RAM as a method of keeping things as speedy as possible.

Unused RAM is a completely wasted resource.   It amazes me how much RAM goes into many systems these days and, when you look at the percentage being used, it's low, which is a strong suggestion that you have far more RAM than you actually need.  On this system, with Chrome and Firefox running with two windows open each, and each of those windows having at least 15 tabs open (some quite a few more), Chrome is using 2.4 GB and Firefox 2.1 GB, and all the rest of the processes are eating up memory that only totals around 76% of the 12GB on this system.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#10 donisonleague

donisonleague
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2018 - 08:19 AM

Windef would be Windows Defender, your antivirus. Just curious. Are you saying you have 25GB of free space on the 32GB drive? 

I'm sorry, it was meant to be 15, but i'm typing from my Phone 😥 Basically i've only Windows + 1GB of my program there.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,827 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2018 - 08:23 AM

Brian, the OP stated 100% CPU usage vs RAM usage. That would be different, correct?

I'm sorry, it was meant to be 15, but i'm typing from my Phone Basically i've only Windows + 1GB of my program there.

15GB free is going to be tough on a 64GB semi annual upgrade. 64bit requires 20GB of free space for an upgrade but I could be wrong. 

#12 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,844 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2018 - 08:43 AM

Brian, the OP stated 100% CPU usage vs RAM usage. That would be different, correct?

This thread has been moving particularly quickly.  I was attempting to respond to pcpunk's observation regarding RAM in post #5.

There is this great myth that having huge amounts of RAM, most of it unused, "makes things faster."    It doesn't.   Having too little with an almost constant need to swap can slow things down terribly, but provided that is not the case beyond stopping that more RAM is not better, it is generally irrelevant.

If any machine has 100% CPU usage "that sticks" then something is wrong and something is causing it and that something does need to be tracked down and whatever needs to be done to correct it undertaken.

~ Mark Twain

#13 donisonleague

donisonleague
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2018 - 08:53 AM

I'm sorry, it was meant to be 15, but i'm typing from my Phone Basically i've only Windows + 1GB of my program there.

15GB free is going to be tough on a 64GB semi annual upgrade. 64bit requires 20GB of free space for an upgrade but I could be wrong. 
I know 20GB are suggested, but so far i've managed to fully update w10 with no problem. As far as 64GB updates are concerned, i can still use my 128GB SD although things would be a lower.
The system however is running 24/24 so it's not like i'm in a rush, if it takes twice the time to update it's not a problem.

For the CPU: without Windows defender doing something in the background, cpu usage is around 70/80% with temps in the low 70C.
I don't think this is caused by some sort of problem, it's simply doing its job at running the software, which is quite demanding for an atom cpu.

EDIT: with windows defender working actively, it goes to 100% and temps go up to mid 70C

Edited by donisonleague, 13 July 2018 - 08:54 AM.

#14 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,844 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2018 - 09:08 AM

70° C is not problematic for an Atom 230 or 330, both of which have a maximum operating temperature 85.2° C.

Does it ever drop from 100% CPU usage?   I wouldn't be surprised at 100% on an Atom during scanning, particularly the initial system scanning, but it shouldn't be perpetually in that state.

~ Mark Twain

#15 donisonleague

donisonleague
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2018 - 09:26 AM

Yeah, it spikes here and there at 100%, but, just for example, with job software + wupdate installi g modules it hangs between 80-90% with high 70temps. I'm not there to monitor it always, but my guess is that whilst it's only running my job software, cpu load is about 60%. At the present moment, it's listed at 50% in task manager for that + about 30/40% from Windows update. It rarely hit 100% without Windows defender doing things in background.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users