Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Onboard Ethernet and USB 3.0 Ports Stopped Working After Update

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 runningpc

runningpc

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 10 July 2018 - 09:56 AM

After installing update KB4023057 for Windows 10 Pro x64 (v1709) and restarting my PC, I got a BSOD and now, the onboard Ethernet and USB 3.0 ports seemed to have stopped working on my Gigabyte X79-UP4 board.

BlueScreenView shows the Bug Check String was "DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE" caused by driver "ntoskrnl.exe".

Ethernet orange LED is on and devices I plug into the USB ports are still powered i.e. USB devices show LED lights on or charging. Both USB ports and network devices also show up as working in Device Manager. However, nothing I plug into the USB ports that used to show up no longer do such as mass storage devices and phones. Oddly enough, the USB 2.0 ports still work perfectly fine.

I tried to boot into a live Linux CD just to see if it was a Windows problem and again, the Ethernet doesn't appear and neither do any USB devices.

I read on another thread somewhere shutting down the PC and unplugging the mains for a while would clear the CMOS and fix the problem. I did this and the Ethernet port still didn't work but the USB ports started working again... for a while.

So, was the update and the ports breaking at the same time just a coincidence? Does this look like I need to replace the main board?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 10 July 2018 - 10:47 AM

You said you have version 1709.

If you would, press Windows Key + R & type winver into the Run box & press Enter.

screenshot_48.jpg

Then post a screenshot of the version window--- Mine---

screenshot_48.jpg

Since Windows 10 updates itself how have you managed to hang onto V1709 ?

I Googled it a bit & found that others have had problems with the update.

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#3 runningpc

runningpc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 10 July 2018 - 11:33 AM

It says version 1709, Build 16299.522 which is the latest build for that version. It's just the way Windows 10 updates are rolled out apparently - either your machine is opted into the targeted updates branch in which case you'll have version 1803 or you're not and you'll get v1709 like I do.

You can go into Windows Update > Advanced Options to choose the branch you want to be in although non-targeted has been my default.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows-10/release-information

You said you have version 1709.

If you would, press Windows Key + R & type winver into the Run box & press Enter.

screenshot_48.jpg

Then post a screenshot of the version window--- Mine---

screenshot_48.jpg

Since Windows 10 updates itself how have you managed to hang onto V1709 ?

I Googled it a bit & found that others have had problems with the update.

#4 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2018 - 11:48 AM

OK.

I'm semi-annual.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

#5 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2018 - 11:55 AM

I just thought v1803 might solve your problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users