Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ubuntu 18.04 And/Or Linux Mint 19 As A Daily Driver

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 10 July 2018 - 06:11 AM

Hello All,

I have one simple need for an operating system that I can use as a daily driver; I want an OS that can just go to sleep after a designated period of time unless there is media playing, i.e. videos or music. To me that seems like such a simple and basic requirement for an operating system. I want to be able to walk up to my machine and just log in, Google something real fast and walk away with the assurance that it will just go to sleep in a couple of minutes. 

On the flip side I want to be able to play a full length movie from any web site or a full length album from my hard drive and just walk away and let my media play without the machine shutting down after a few minutes. Is there any Linux distro that can do these two simple things.

This post is specifically regarding the newest Ubuntu and Linux versions, Ubuntu 18.04 and Linux 19. These two distros have the bug that a simple suspend after a designated period of time no longer works. In my household I have several people that use my machine and they are not that computer literate. My wife for example just wants to check an email or Google a recipe and just walk away from the computer. I want the computer to just go to sleep automatically after she walks away from the computer. This feature does not work in the current versions of Linux Mint (Cinnamon) or the current Kubuntu or Ubuntu.

Conversely there has never been a way to just select an album to play with any of the available apps and then play the whole album without the machine suspending the playback after about 20 or 30 minutes unless you go through a series of menus and select different suspend features every time that you use the machine. I want to play a 2 hour concert all the way though or a 30 minute song-set by just playing the file without having to adjust the suspend time for every different file length.

These are things that Windows does automatically yet I have tried at least 60 or more different Linux distros and none of them seem able to do this. What is so hard about writing a simple suspend code?

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=272480

This is just the latest in my requests for assistance. I have also started threads at the Ubuntu forum and have not received any answers. Maybe someone here has written some code that would help the situation.

Rocky

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,349 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 10 July 2018 - 10:25 AM

Hey Rocky Bennett,

I use both Ubuntu 18.04 and Linux Mint 19 and both are plagued with the bug so I guess it's just up to which distro you like the best.

I like both of them and although I find things I don't like about each one of them.

The dislikes or issues I have with ether one of them is very minor and nothing I can't live with.

Either one would work very well as a daily driver although I use Lubuntu 18.04 for a daily driver most of the time.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,672 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2018 - 12:59 PM

Thanks for the advice but this is really the only thing that I need from any operating system, I need my system to automatically go to sleep at a designated time. I guess that I will try MX Linux next.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,075 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 10 July 2018 - 01:12 PM

Try Manjaro yet?

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#5 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,672 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2018 - 03:39 PM

Yes, I have had very good luck with Manjaro in the past, it worked exactly as expected. Maybe I should just install that again and see how that works for me now.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#6 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:10 PM

@ Rocky:-

If you can set the desired sleep time (but have to adjust the setting for each file length), then perhaps this is a silly question, but.....why not write your own small script that will do just that?

That's the beauty of Linux. You don't have to wait for someone else to write the desired code for you; you can do it yourself..!

I have a couple of small scripts I use in Puppy, if I want to set the machine to switch off after a preset time (30 mins and 60 mins). Okay, these are power-off scripts (not suspend ones), and I tend to use these if I'm listening to streaming radio, and just want to go off to sleep while listening (and don't really care at what point it goes off).....but I don't see why they couldn't be adapted to work for you.

30 mins:-

sleep 30m && wmpoweroff &

60 mins:-

sleep 60m && wmpoweroff &

Like I said, there should be a way of adapting these. Say, a script which would allow you to enter a track (or directory of music); which would then scan the length of the file (or directory), then add, what; 2 mins? before activating sleep, power-off, suspend.....whatever.

The sky's the limit here, mate; literally. You could even make it up with a small GUI front-end powered by YAD (Yet Another Dialog). My personal scripting skills are absolutely lousy, however.....otherwise, I'd see if I could come up with an example for you.

Mike. :wink:

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#7 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,672 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:44 PM

Mike, that sleep problem regarding file length is really only a problem with some of the odd Linux distros that I use like openSUSE and Fedora. The problem with the sleep function not working correctly is present on the newer Debian based distros. I really wanted to use Linux Mint 19 as my daily driver but the bug that is present does not put my computer to sleep automatically after a specific period of time.

Manjaro has always worked for me but I have a problem with the Manjaro forum, it does not allow me to join. I just thought that maybe MX Linux might work for me but I have never tried it so it might be a fun experiment.

Thanks for your suggestion. I am still poking around and will report back with any new developments.

Rocky

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#8 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,672 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 06:08 AM

Mike, Unfortunately your solution will not work in my situation.

A) I really need the computer to be always on in case one of my family members needs to use it real fast for something.

B) My family members also play concerts and albums that are stored on the computer. They can not be expected to run script, they just want to select an album and play it.

I want a Linux distro that can just go to sleep when there is no one using it and there is no music playing, automatically. Windows has been able to do this since at least Windows XP, why can't Linux just figure out a nice sleep (or suspend) option for casual users?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,882 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2018 - 03:16 PM

Since Linux cannot perform this I just don't Sleep, much like other compromises in Linux.  This is partly why I use Windows more and more these days...unfortunately.  An even simpler process to have IMO, is mouse pointer speed adjustment, and beyond me why it cannot be easily configured in Linux is again beyond me?  I wish at least some one would explain why.  Also, I don't Sleep any of my computers.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#10 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,075 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2018 - 05:05 PM

Since Linux cannot perform this I just don't Sleep, much like other compromises in Linux.  This is partly why I use Windows more and more these days...unfortunately.  An even simpler process to have IMO, is mouse pointer speed adjustment, and beyond me why it cannot be easily configured in Linux is again beyond me?  I wish at least some one would explain why.  Also, I don't Sleep any of my computers.

I think the issue with suspend is very complex as there is so many variations on hardware that the linux kernel developers cant control for every instance.

as for the mouse sensitivity issue, i do recommend cinnamon for that one.

But hey at least Linux doesn't forcibly put Candy Crush Saga into your system without your consent that's still better than bleep windows.
Seems like every goddamn update Microsoft adds and more bullbleep to the start menu I will never use such as phone access and bleep Candy Crush and Dolby software what a crock of bleep

Edited by MadmanRB, 12 July 2018 - 05:09 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2018 - 05:13 AM

I think the issue with suspend is very complex as there is so many variations on hardware that the linux kernel developers cant control for every instance.

as for the mouse sensitivity issue, i do recommend cinnamon for that one.

But hey at least Linux doesn't forcibly put Candy Crush Saga into your system without your consent that's still better than bleep windows.
Seems like every g*****n update Microsoft adds and more bullbleep to the start menu I will never use such as phone access and bleep Candy Crush and Dolby software what a crock of bleep

Well, the mouse issue has always been an on & off one for me, have learned to bear with it. :P

Yes Microsoft does add these (sometimes unwanted) 'features' to Windows 10. Yet can be removed via the Settings, just type 'uninstall a program' & these will be listed, with the option to do just that. The Dolby option is to add Atmos & one has to have recent hardware to support it, won't work on older computers. I use either Realtek or NVIDIA audio most of the time, sometimes Intel when there's no other option on notebooks, so just like the games, I turn Dolby off in the Start Menu. 

On the other hand, there's lots of goodies (free music & TV) in the Windows Store, if one takes the time to look. Just avoid any that displays 'in-app purchases' & all will be OK. 

That said, I hope that Rocky finds a suitable solution for his needs. :)

Rocky, does the Linspire distro you shared with us during the holidays meet your need, or have you tested the feature yet? I still have one copy of this fantastic OS installed, makes my MSI FX603 purchased new in 2011 run faster than out of the box speed & will keep running until the wheels falls off. May try the Terminal line to update the distro once it expires, to save paying for the newer version. 

I'll be the first to admit, when there's several users running a single or couple of computers, it's hard to accommodate the needs of everyone. Regardless of installed OS. This is why I have a dedicated notebook still running Windows 8.1 Home for my wife, another with Linux Mint 18.3 for company who needs a loaner while here & the rest for myself. Half were self builds, one was purchased new (XPS 8700) & the rest (all former corporate PC's) were found on eBay at unreal prices for the money, the most expensive less than $115 shipped with Intel Core 2 Quad 9650 & OEM Win 7 Pro (now upgraded to W10 Pro). A smaller model of the same series was grabbed for $99 shipped & featured a Core 2 Duo Q9550 & the WEI on both machines were the same before upgrading the GPU on the mini tower Optiplex 780.

Nowadays, there's Sandy Bridge systems for the same price, many to choose from. Just a suggestion if budget allows, having a computer for each person, or a couple extra to be shared with fewer family members/friends, will allow for better customization. It would be a total mess for me to share with several others, preferences are subjective & why I don't share. Plus I like my online life to be private (within my home), w/out an VPN, the ISP can see all, so this works better for everyone. :)

I've yet to migrate to Linux Mint 19, it's stated extra features has been added, am having issues with the Linux EFI bootloader installing on the /boot partition created. This was worse with LMDE, the bootloader refused to install anywhere other than the Windows EFI partition. This is BS, with BIOS/MBR computers, this would install wherever desired, even on the root partition itself (would then use EasyBCD 2.3 to finalize the dual boot). So that's where I'm at today, am exploring the Hyper-V option, dual booting becoming a deal of the past. If not Hyper-V, then free VMWare vSphere Hypervisor. The main PC has the needed resources to run Type 1 hypervisors, so why not take advantage? This is another situation you may be able to benefit from, provided the OS itself meets your need. Gives everyone their personal PC on the same hardware, with the ability to use full resources. :thumbup2:

Good Luck on getting where you want to be, with persistence, it'll happen! :thumbsup:

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#12 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,672 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2018 - 06:08 AM

I am using openSUSE 15 right now and it works perfectly. I know that this system suspend bug is only part of the newest Debian based distros, it was not present in the distros based on Debian 8, it only began with Debian 9 based distros. I like openSUSE anyway, and the suspend feature works perfectly, so I am doing fine right now.

Rocky

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#13 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 19 July 2018 - 07:44 PM

I really need the computer to be always on in case one of my family members needs to use it real fast for something.

To me this seems simple, dont put the PC to sleep and dont turn the PC off, I have my monitor set to turn off after 15 minutes of inactivity the rest stays on I only shut my PC down if I need to reboot it.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#14 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,349 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 19 July 2018 - 07:53 PM

I really need the computer to be always on in case one of my family members needs to use it real fast for something.

To me this seems simple, dont put the PC to sleep and dont turn the PC off, I have my monitor set to turn off after 15 minutes of inactivity the rest stays on I only shut my PC down if I need to reboot it.

Yep all of my computers are on 24-7 and get rebooted once a week for the hell of it.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#15 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,672 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2018 - 08:32 PM

Although the always ON option seems like a great idea, I have a 650 watt PSU and 5 fans in my Haswell based PC. When the computer is asleep, it is essentially in a ready to use mode except that all 5 fans are not running and my PSU is sending a trickle of juice to my CPU instead of actually using 650 watts of current to power the whole system.

All that technical mumbo-jumbo aside, I am actually a big fan of openSUSE. It is super easy to install and configure and it does everything that I want on a daily basis. My wife and family also seem comfortable using openSUSE because it looks and works in a very familiar way. So actually this is a win-win for me. I just wanted to run Linux Mint because all the cool computer nerds are running Linux Mint, but for right now I think that I'll stick with openSUSE.

Rocky

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users