Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice On How To Setup A Video Conferencing System For Client

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 andrewlee394

andrewlee394

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 09 July 2018 - 09:43 PM

Dear tech gurus,

My company has been tasked to setup, install & test a video conferencing system for them in the coming months. The project will be kicking-off soon & at this moment, I don't have a clue how would the network diagram would look like for this system. The hardware specs include the following listed below :

CISCO Spark P60

Polycom Group 500 & 700

2 flat-screen TV monitors

HD Cameras for visuals

I have tried Googling results for "Video confering network diagrams". However, there're not much useful results I can find. I have no experience setting up such a system. Could any of you advice how to go about it?

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 10 July 2018 - 02:44 PM

Good luck.

I just pulled Polycom equipment and installed the Cisco Spark (now WebEx) equipment (Room Kit, 55 and 70 inch Spark boards).  The Cisco equipment is easy enough to install and configure, provided everything is HDMI.  I didn't have experience setting up the Polycom equipment, so I don't know anything about how it was configured and since it was going away I didn't take the time to learn it.

Are you expected to get both systems working together, talking to each other?  Using a WebEx account it should be possible for the Polycom to call the WebEx, but I'm not real clear the other way around.

From how it was explained to me Polycom is point to point, like a telephone and Cisco is "the cloud".  If you can have them on their own networks you'll be better off as they will not drag down performance of everyone else when a call is in progress.  One of our remote sites would call and say the network is slow and the first question was, "Is there a video conference right now?".  I haven't heard the complaint since the switch over to the Cisco equipment.

#3 andrewlee394

andrewlee394
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 11 July 2018 - 03:52 AM

Hi Kilroy,

Thanks for providing useful information about your Cisco Spark implementation. For our client's setup, yes I think both Polycom & Cisco spark will be working together to maintain the video conferencing system. Right now it's still at the beginning stage & we have to first draw out a sketch of the network diagram to show in visual format, how the devices will be connected & to what devices. Do you have any suggestions on how a network diagram for this setup will look like? I haven't a clue on how to sketch up such a diagram. I tried searching on Google several times, but found no useful diagrams as sample. Any ideas on this?

Thanks.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 16 July 2018 - 03:25 PM

Well, your first step is going decide what equipment is going in what room.  Then you can look at the network requirements for the equipment.  As I stated previously, if you can segregate the video equipment from the rest of the network, either via VLANs or hardware, you'll be better off as it won't bog down the rest of the network when it is being used.

Is this all going in the same building or different buildings?

I'd suggest getting a hold of the manuals for them to see what the network requirements are, and it will probably tell you a lot of other good to know information.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users