Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why do some VPNs claim to block malware?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 1,035 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 09 July 2018 - 03:46 PM

I just saw a commercial for Nord VPN and they claim that there VPN can block malware, How is VPN suppose to block malware? I mean its just VPN not antimalware or a sandbox. And Nord is not the only who's made this claim. Whats the deal here how can they make these claims?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,751 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 09 July 2018 - 04:41 PM

I don't know about Nord VPN specifically, but there are VPN subscriptions that come with anti-virus and website blacklisting features, for example.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#3 Replicator

Replicator

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 10 July 2018 - 09:31 AM

They are targeting the 'mum n dad' computer users who know little about anything when it comes to security.

Nordvpn advertise here on TV in OZ, claiming that they stop hackers in their tracks and protect you.

This may be true for MITM attacks and anyone sniffing traffic from your LAN to the WAN (and vise versa), but what about hackers with root access to your machine through previously injected malware from that bad email attachment you opened......or the pop-up software update you clicked on?

Any VPN wont do squat to protect you from this once infected!

It is actually false advertising, but no one with the knowledge, time or money has the gumption to hold them accountable in a court of law, so they get away with it.

The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear!
CEH, CISSP @ WhiteHat Computers Pty Ltd

#4 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,035 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 14 July 2018 - 08:49 PM

I don't know about Nord VPN specifically, but there are VPN subscriptions that come with anti-virus and website blacklisting features, for example.

I guess you were correct Nord VPN has a black listing feature built into it.:)

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/offer/deals/deal-for-77-percent-off-a-nordvpn-3-year-vpn-subscription/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users