Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not as easy as it sounds - USB port shuts down with screen

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RChadwick7

RChadwick7

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 09 July 2018 - 02:42 PM

I've got a Dell 7130 Tablet. Whenever the display shuts off (Close the lid while docked, inactivity timeout, running Nirsoft's utility that shuts down the display), the USB port powers down and disconnects. Using a USB meter, I have verified power shuts off. I'm running a fresh install of Windows 8.1 x64. I have gone into power management and configured everything USB to not shut off to save power. I have configured the lid action to do nothing.

I have found only one thing that disables this. If I uninstall the Video driver (Intel 4200), the USB stays powered. I have done a fresh install of Windows, and the USB port is fine. Then, the very next thing I do is install the Video driver, and the port shuts off. I have installed every driver except video, and all is good. My best guess is that the Video driver is sending a signal to the system that the screen is off, and it's telling something else to shut off the USB. I have gone through every BIOS option, and every version I can install.

Does anyone have an idea what this could be? Anyone have this tablet? I briefly tried a 5130 (Atom version of the same tablet) and it's USB port stays on fine, but it has a much older BIOS. It could be the BIOS, but I still have a hard time believing even Dell would add this feature without an option to turn it off, and keep it that way for almost 10 revisions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2018 - 02:56 PM

I assume you have also disabled USB selective suspend, correct?

https://www.eightforums.com/threads/power-options-add-or-remove-usb-selective-suspend.51294/

#3 RChadwick7

RChadwick7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2018 - 03:43 PM

Yes, I disabled USB Selective Suspend.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2018 - 04:03 PM

I think your are correct in your assessment of the video driver being the problem. Did you download the video driver from Dell's site or Intel's site?

If you still have problems after downloading the other video driver (intel or Dell) you may want to update using the Media Creation Tool for Windows 10. People say that Windows 10 is still be offered for free and will activate. That may fix the USB problem though an upgrade to Windows 10 may not be something you wish to do.

Use-Media-Creation-Tool-to-Clean-install

#5 RChadwick7

RChadwick7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2018 - 04:54 PM

I originally downloaded Dell's driver, but on a new install I've also installed Intel's driver, and let Windows Update find a driver. All three shut the USB port down. The only driver that doesn't is the Generic driver.

Definitely avoiding Windows 10. I might install it for troubleshooting purposes, but not sure what that would tell. If I can't find a solution, I'll probably just install Linux.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2018 - 05:06 PM

I'm not sure how Mint 19 works on touchscreens but for people moving from Windows that's one of the better distros.

https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_tara_cinnamon_whatsnew.php

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZFVPsqTTXY

You can always boot a live USB and see how the tablet acts. You would need to disable SecureBoot in your UEFI settings first. Use Rufus with the iso for a bootable USB.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users