Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Large SSD Img to Smaller SSD?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 chiiibill

chiiibill

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 09 July 2018 - 11:36 AM

Will be buying a new laptop.

Current laptop (Win 10) has a 512g SSD and 1T HDD

Due to price constraints most new laptops I'm considering have, at most,a 256g SSD + 1T HDD

Space used on SSD is approximately 175 g. 

Img to HDD should not be a problem BUT  is it possible to install the img from the 512g SSD to the 256g SSD?

(also, the fact that the new laptop came with Win 10 pre-installed should not present an issue, should it?)

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 09 July 2018 - 12:45 PM

What software was used to create image?  How large is the image file?

Louis

#3 chiiibill

chiiibill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2018 - 12:53 PM

Macrium Reflect Free

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,643 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 09 July 2018 - 01:04 PM

Hello again, Chilllbill!

If I understand correctly, what you actually want to do is install your old lap W10 OS on to your new laptop, thus wiping its existing W10 OS that came with the comptuer. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Well, I can offer two options for that, and both are not ideal situations.

#1: Overwrite your existing OS on the new laptop: First, as you have already foreseen, MacReflect will not be able to install a 512gig partition onto a 250gig partition. The only possible option that might work (note I have not tried this so I have no experience with it) is to purchase the paid version of Macrium Reflect and use the incremental backup option to image only the Windows OS (not the entire partition), and that should be small enough to fit on the 250gig SSD in the new lap. HOWEVER (always one of those every time we want to do something, right?) remember that Microsoft ties your Windows account to the MAC number on your motherboard, so you may be prevented from activating your restored Windows OS because it is registered to a different MAC motherboard (that being your old laptop). You would have to call them first and get that straightened out before attempting it, or you might find yourself up a tree with no ladder.

#2: Physically remove the 500gig SSD out of the old laptop and install it in the new laptop. This would give you the added advantage of a larger SSD. However...you will run into the same problem described above in #1. So it comes back to getting M/Soft's blessing on the arrangement.

As far as your 1TB HDD (with no OS on it, only storage), that should work fine.

Unless someone else on the forum has other suggestions, that is my thought on the matter.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 amfrank

amfrank

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2018 - 01:20 PM

Macrium Reflect Free

It's definitely possible with Macrium Reflect Free to resize the partition you are restoring. See their knowledgebase article here:

https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW7/Restoring+an+image+from+within+the+Rescue+Media

https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW7/Modifying+restored+paritition+properties

Edited by amfrank, 09 July 2018 - 01:29 PM.

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,643 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2018 - 02:35 PM

Well, I do understand that restoring from a smaller partition to a larger partition is easy, no problem. That is illustrated in your second link, going from a 122 gig to a 16TB partition.

However, it is not exactly clear if you can go the other direction, from a larger partition to a smaller. In your first link, this is the reference that is a bit ambiguous as follows (bold and underline mine):

If the image contains only data, restoring it is very simple using Macrium Reflect. You can restore it back to its original location without interrupting the operating system.

and again here, it seems as if you are going from smaller to larger partition sizing:

possible to select a different target disk and to drag partitions to different locations and resize them to use the available  space

It seems as if they are separating data storage from the OS, and do not specifically state that you can go either direction, smaller to larger AND larger to smaller.

And again, I would suppose that if you use the incremental feature in MR and select only the Windows OS, thus excluding the entire empty-space in the partition, it should be possible.

Hopefully someone might post in who has actually done this, gone from larger to smaller partition.

However, my original "caution" still applies; will Microsoft ok this and activate Windows on the new installation?

Edited by ranchhand_, 09 July 2018 - 02:36 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,441 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 09 July 2018 - 06:22 PM

I rarely use Macrium, but consider that one of the primary uses of imaging/cloning software is to transfer the OS from a larger, slower HDD to a (usually) smaller, faster SSD. The would seem to be no sensible reason why it would not do exactly the same thing between two SSDs. I have certainly used Acronis TrueImage to do that.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#8 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,643 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2018 - 09:02 PM

So you are saying that it is possible to re-image back onto a smaller partition from a larger partition?

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,441 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 10 July 2018 - 06:18 AM

Indeed, as long as the partition contains less data than the capacity of the smaller partition/drive. Otherwise it would not be possible to speed up your system by changing the HDD to a smaller SSD without reinstalling the OS and all your software from scratch onto the new SSD. (At least not without re-sizing the HDD partition to match the size of the SSD, which you can't always do precisely.)

Earlier this year I imaged an elderly friend's slow Hitachi 500GB HDD onto my spare 128GB SSD to smarten things up for her. And my own laptop of 5 years originally came with a 680GB HDD, which after the warranty expired, I imaged onto a 256GB SSD (now using a 525GB).

Edited by Platypus, 10 July 2018 - 06:20 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#10 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,643 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2018 - 06:35 AM

Ok, Looks like Chiiibill can have that option. Thanks for the input!

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,612 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 04:01 PM

I think the main problem here is not imaging from a larger SSD to a smaller SSD which is possible if the amount of data on the large SSD is smaller then the target SSD's capacity. Your problem is trying to image to different hardware. Firstly, you will have a problem activating the OS because the larger SSD's OS is tied to different hardware as ranchhand already mentioned and the new computer already has a key embedded in firmware. I don't know how that would affect the Product ID that is in your Windows image. Second and most importantly, the OS on the larger SSD had different drivers for different hardware. There may be an issue with booting. 

Macrium Paid I believe allows you to image to newer hardware where different drivers will be installed. 

https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW/Re-deploying+Windows+to+new+hardware+using+Macrium+ReDeploy

#12 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:08 PM

Macrium forum---

https://forum.macrium.com/

They helped me before.

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

#13 chiiibill

chiiibill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2018 - 02:49 PM

Just another thanks for all the helpful information.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users