Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What to buy for my studying needs?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Sarloos

Sarloos

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 09 July 2018 - 11:24 AM

Hey Everyone :)

I have kind of a specific request. Was thinking of buying a tablet, mainly for reading study material, but then got the idea to spend a little more on a device that I could use on campus on days where I don’t need my more heavy duty laptop. I say device because I’m starting to think something like a 2in1 laptop rather than tablet, would be the best choice.

With that said I’m having a hard time navigating the almost endless options and finding the device that fits my needs the best. The price would ideally be about 400 eur = 470 usd.  

Here are my needs:

• Can run windows 10 or maybe Chrome OS
  • Good screen for reading (minimum 1080p and ample brightness for outside use)
  • Size: minimum 10 inch screen.
  • CPU: good enough for everyday stuff
  • RAM: 4 gb (ideally 8 but think that will be to expensive)
  • Storage: 64 gb and up
  • (if a laptop, it needs to be able to flip 360°, so I can use it as a tablet)

Don’t care about:

• Sound
  • Graphics card
  • Touch pen

If you want any other information I’ll gladly provide it. And if some of my needs are not logical or realistic, feel free to tell me or come with alternative suggestions.

Thanks in advance for any answers!

Regards,
Sarloos.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 09 July 2018 - 01:36 PM

Where are you buying and how much are you able to spend?  I picked up this RCA Android Tablet just to have an Android device that wasn't tied to the Amazon store.  Something similar may suit your purposes.

#3 Sarloos

Sarloos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2018 - 01:33 AM

Hey Kilroy :)

I think I'll end up buying it on amazon.de, unless a better offer comes up in a store (live in Denmark btw.). My budget is about 400 eur = 470 usd.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,358 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2018 - 01:53 PM

Sarloos, I think you're going to be best off getting an Android tablet with keyboard.  Looking at Amazon.de you should be able to pick one up for less than 200 euros.  Since they are running Android and not Windows you don't need 4GB of RAM, 2GB and 3GB seemed to be the norm.  I would suggest getting one with Android 7 or Nougat.  I didn't see any running Oreo.  For storage look for one with the ability to add an SD or mini-SD card for additional storage, again since it isn't Windows you can do will a bit less storage.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:25 AM

If the purpose is really mostly reading with some occasional web surfing or e-mailing an Android tablet would be ideal.  Many of those come with keyboards if you want them and you can definitely buy Bluetooth keyboards (most of which fold up and are easily portable) to use with them.

There are lots of options, and lots of inexpensive options, in that market.  The only thing I'd suggest you watch is that the device has an SD or microSD slot to allow you to expand your storage.  Some do not, and if you want to carry quite a bit of reading material, and/or music, and/or photos [you get the point] you can max out the device's internal memory relatively quickly.  Also pay attention to the maximum capacity SD/microSD card the device will accept.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#6 Sarloos

Sarloos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2018 - 04:35 PM

Hey Kilroy and britechguy.

Thank you for your answers.

I understand the appeal of an android tablet for the typical user, but I need a windows (or alike) system, so I can run some programs that are essential to my studying line.

A sd card slot definitely sound like a good idea, so I don’t have to worry as much about running out of space.

I see you both suggest going with a more inexpensive option. I would gladly spend a little more to get a better experience in the long run, but do you not think it is worth paying up a little more? Here I’m especially thinking of the quality of the screen, as I would think better resolution and brightness makes for a nicer reading experience (especially outside). As for ram, because I am planning on running windows, 4 gb is really the least I would go for.

Looking forward to hearing you feedback :)

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,358 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2018 - 10:57 AM

The problem is that it won't be a little more.  For a PC you're going to run about double the amount you want to spend or if you find one in your price range I doubt performance would be acceptable.  You might be able to put Windows on a 64GB drive, but with 4GB of RAM it would be a miserable experience.

An Android device would accomplish your reading goal, the ability to use it as a tablet, and allow you to perform many other tasks such as e-mail and taking notes.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 14 July 2018 - 09:32 AM

He or she can get a laptop that is more than adequate for his or her needs for well under US $470, at least in the US.  Some examples:

https://www.amazon.com/HP-Performance-A12-9700P-Quad-Core-Processor/dp/B073BJP7QY/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1531578247&sr=8-6&keywords=laptop+pc+amd+a12

https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-320-15ABR-Widescreen-backlight-A12-9720P/dp/B075WDDXTH/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1531578247&sr=8-4&keywords=laptop+pc+amd+a12

https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-A12-9720P-Quad-Core-Bluetooth-802-11ac/dp/B075RTR8W5/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1531578247&sr=8-5&keywords=laptop+pc+amd+a12

https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-A12-9720P-Quad-Core-Bluetooth-802-11ac/dp/B075RTR8W5/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1531578247&sr=8-5&keywords=laptop+pc+amd+a12

And there are many more.   It's easy to get a laptop that is quite the workhorse and has way more than adequate speed (blazing if you spring for a small SSD) for under $500 US, and that's even if you exclude manufacturer certified refurbished units.  You can start heading into "full flagship" that's approximately 2 years behind release date if you are willing to go refurbished and can get real bargain basement prices on even current mid-range machines if refurbished is OK.  The last several laptops I've purchased have been manufacturer refurbished HPs and you wouldn't know they weren't brand new.  (I've also done the same for routers as well).

P.S. Forget reading outside, period, unless you can find a shaded spot.  I have yet to see any device I'm willing to read for any period of time even on overcast days in "full sunlight" on those days.

Edited by britechguy, 14 July 2018 - 09:35 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users