Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Crash Periodically , then wont boot for sometime.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 WanderGuard

WanderGuard

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 09 July 2018 - 11:20 AM

So before i start: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/261145-31-perform-s...

1. yup
2. yup (fans spin)
3. standoffs are fine
4. video card seems to be seated fine.
5. all attached
6. only have one stick of 8GB ram
7. ram clicks in nicely, all seems to be fine
8. yup verified
9. yes
10. yes
11. no
12. using stock cooler with pre-applied thermal paste
13. yeah
14.yes everything there seems to be in order
15. no loose screws or wires
16. yup
17. no speaker provided
18. front panel plugs are connected properly
19. yeah
20. yup
21. yes
22. no effect
23. everything's tight

Build: 
Processor: Intel i3 6320
Motherboard: Asrock H110M-HDS
RAM: Ballistix Tactical 8GB DDR4-3000 UDIMM (x1)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 Mini
PSU: Corsair CX430 Watt
Windows 7

Problem:
So the pc is about a year old and have had 0 problems with it up until a couple of days ago.After about 30 to 60 minutes of use, (no matter what, gaming, browsing or being idle) it'll freeze, crash,then attempt to restart. However, it wont boot, fans will spin but no display on monitor, mouse doesn't light up. The only way i can get it to boot is by leaving it unplugged for about 30 min(approximately, sometimes it takes longer), then turning it on. That works for another 30ish minutes then it crashes again and same problem.

Things I've tried:
Clearing CMOS; no effect
Running memory diagnostic: No errors
Running Memtest86+: can only got 1 pass and 39% into the second one until it freezes, the + and _ still blink, but no errors in that time
Reassembled the entire pc: No effect.
Checking CPU Temp: downloaded speedfan and the cpu temp seems to be fine, hovering around 35 degrees to 45 degrees (Celsius)
Minimally tried stress testing it with prime95 for about 15 min, cpu temp seemed stable (35-40).

Only other thing to note is that during the waiting period of 30min to turn it on, if its plugged in power goes to the keyboard(lights up) but immediately after the crash and upon the initial restart it tries, there's no power to the keyboard(don't know if its that important).

Any help at all would be appreciated, at this point i would just like to know what part is causing the problem so i could get it replaced.

Edited by WanderGuard, 09 July 2018 - 11:22 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 09 July 2018 - 01:52 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

What your describing sounds like a heat issue, especially the won't restart right away part.  So, the primary suspects will be the CPU cooler and fan.

Have you blow out the case with canned air?  Pay specific attention to the CPU cooler and fan.  If that doesn't do it replacing the cooler and fan while applying a new coat of thermal paste should solve your issue.

#3 WanderGuard

WanderGuard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 13 July 2018 - 03:22 PM

Hey sorry for the late reply, took a while to get my hands on canned air and thermal paste. So i blew out the case and applied a new coat of thermal paste (no replacing fan at the moment). No effect. To check if it was a overheating issue i monitored my cpu temp and tried prime95 cpu torture test. I ran it for 1 hour and 28 min with no errors. Highest recorded temp was 79 degrees, hovered around 75ish for the duration. Now what happened after could be coincidence, but it might shed some insight to the problem. The pc froze up again after the test ( about a minute after i stopped the test, and was browsing the web). The cpu temp at that time was 40 degrees. So i doubt the issue is an overheating one. Just thought it was strange how the pc ran perfect when the cpu load was at 100% for an hour and a half(the longest run so far), then froze soon after it stopped.

Anyway thanks for the reply.

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,886 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 13 July 2018 - 11:42 PM

This does sound like a power supply problem.  The regulators are not getting reset after a fault, thus the waiting period.  Usually the 5 volts fails, that's why the fans will spin, 12 volts needed there.  I do think the 450 watt is under powered and what led to the fault.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users