Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issue started with BSODs, then no display signal, now constant reboot cycle.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AshKetchup

AshKetchup

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 09 July 2018 - 12:03 AM

Hey all. I'm scratching my head anxiously over this issue that's gotten progressively worse, and I'd love some help.

I built my PC back in December and I have Windows 10 on it. I usually have it running through the night to play white noise and help me sleep. About a month ago I started getting BSOD with the frowny faces, and my PC would reboot. The stop codes were usually “memory management” or “page fault in nonpaged area”. I didn’t do anything about it at the time, stupid me.

They started getting more frequent, and the BSOD wouldn’t force a reboot anymore so I’d have to power off manually. I even started having trouble getting things like the monitor display and keyboard to work. I looked into how to fix the “page fault” error and ran some scans in the command prompt. I wasn’t able to complete them before getting another BSOD with the “memory management” stop code. Again, I had to manually reboot. I discovered the display wouldn’t come on unless I used my graphics card’s HDMI or DVI ports. I tried booting in Safe Mode and it still gave the error after a while.

I was then unable to consistently get any display. Tried DVI and VGA, didn’t work. Tried DVI port from the GPU, only worked sometimes. Tried my TV with HDMI, only worked sometimes. PC was powering on, just no display. I opened the case up and reseated the RAM and GPU. A bit dusty inside, so I blew on it (bad idea, I know). Took it to Geek Squad and they were able to have it run through a diagnostic test, but the BSOD persisted.

I was about to power it on today to try some of the things mentioned here, like updating BIOS and Windows updates and to back up my files on a flash drive, but now it won't even stay on. It powers on for about 30 seconds without display, then shuts down (power light off, fans stop spinning). It just gets stuck in a rebooting cycle until I hold power to shut down. At first I was thinking if any hardware was the culprit, it'd be the motherboard. Now I don't know at all. Could it be the power supply? Should I try reseating the RAM again? Taking a can of compressed air to the inside? Resetting all connections to the mobo? Here's a link below to my parts. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MLRTXH

Edited by AshKetchup, 09 July 2018 - 12:04 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 09 July 2018 - 11:19 AM

Hi. . .

First, I would take it back to the Geeksquad if within warranty timeframe.

You could also try to run some hardware diagnostics -

RAM - memtest86+ - run 1 stick at a time; alternate the slots - https://www.sysnative.com/forums/hardware-tutorials/3909-test-ram-memtest86.html

HDD - SeaTools for DOS, LONG test - https://www.sysnative.com/forums/hardware-tutorials/4072-hard-drive-hdd-diagnostics.html

Regards. . .

jcgriff2
Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

#3 AshKetchup

AshKetchup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:33 PM

Thank you! Turns out I was dumb and didn't make sure the RAM was in ALL the way when I reseated it. Now it will POST and I can get into BIOS and all that good stuff. I still only get a display using graphics card's DVI and HDMI ports, but not 100% of the time. My PC also seems to take a good minute or two to give a display and load Windows after I power on. And of course, still getting BSODs with "page fault in nonpaged area" and "memory management". I was able to get Windows updates and update my BIOS to the latest version. I did the trick with holding down reset for 30 seconds with system unplugged. Still no luck. Would you suggest I back up my files and do a fresh install of Windows?

#4 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 12 July 2018 - 03:36 AM

I don't know if you have this Troubleshooting pack or not.

screenshot_48.jpg

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#5 AshKetchup

AshKetchup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2018 - 10:58 PM

I don't know if you have this Troubleshooting pack or not.

screenshot_48.jpg

Hey, sorry for the late reply. I do have that troubleshooting pack but it couldn't identify the problem. I'm not hooked up to Ethernet right now. Troubleshooting is difficult right now because I'm getting ready to move to a new apartment but here's what I've done so far:

Previously, I updated my BIOS using instant flash to the latest version. It did not crash during the update

I powered the PC off manually (held power), turned off the PSU, unplugged, and held reset again for 30 seconds

I tried the DVI and VGA ports on the motherboard’s IO panel

I tried the graphics card’s DVI port

I tried HDMI ports on IO panel and graphics card using a VGA to HDMI adapter (still no monitor display)

I shut down the PC again

I opened the case and unplugged/reconnected the CPU power connector and CPU fan connector

I double checked the manual to ensure my dual channel (4x2) RAM were in the right slots

I powered the PC on. Got it to display the “BIOS home page” (F11 to enter BIOS, F2 to run UEFI setup utility, etc). The screen remained there, either frozen or unable to continue, so I powered off manually

Opened the case and sprayed compressed air to clean out dust (wasn’t that dusty to begin with but I bought the can for that reason)

Powered PC on and stuck on BIOS home page again. Powered off manually

I noted there are 9 standoffs screwed into the case behind the motherboard but only 8 screws in on the front (I know a step is to make sure all screws match the standoffs but I’m not quite ready or confident in dismantling all the connections)

I reseated the graphics card and ensured all power connections are good

I took out one of my RAM sticks (had them in A2 and B2) and placed the other single stick in A1 (first slot closest to CPU)

Powered on, got through POST! Windows booted up! Logged in. All files intact. Showed 4GB memory working in task manager. Ethernet not plugged in at the moment. Opened a few PDFs and Microsoft Word. BSOD crash happened with stop code Memory Management (Ugh!)

Previously, these BSOD crashes would seemingly keep the PC on and I didn’t hear the noises of a reboot. This time, the PC rebooted as you would expect.

I tried logging in when Windows came up. Tried to load desktop, but another BSOD. This time, a new stop code “Bad Pool Header” and subsequent reboot. Tried logging into Windows again, and another BSOD with “Page Fault in Nonpaged Area”

This time around, after the reboot I got this page. Instead of clicking “restart my PC”, I powered off manually

I put the same RAM stick in A2 and got BSOD (memory_management) and subsequent reboot when trying to log in to Windows. Same thing happened with the RAM in B1. When I put the stick in B2, I was able to log in to Windows and get to my desktop. I have Steam and Spotify set to autoload. I canceled the autoload of Steam, and I got an error for Spotify saying it was likely corrupted by a virus. Before being able to do anything else, I got BSOD with “DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL” (4th unique stop code, ugh).

Upon reboot, I went into the BIOS and was able to check everything without any issues or crashes. With the BIOS at its latest version now, I’m not sure what to check here. CPU/mobo temps, Vcore voltage, and fan speeds are all normal. I stayed in the BIOS for about 15 minutes. Upon exiting the BIOS and logging in to Windows, BSOD with memory_management before getting to desktop.

Took out the RAM and tried the other RAM stick in A1 slot. Windows booted up, saying “automatic repair”, then “diagnosing your PC”, then the message “Automatic Repair couldn’t repair your PC”. I was able to shut down or see advanced options like “Go back to previous version”, “System image recovery” or “Startup settings”. I chose to shut down the PC using the option on the screen

Booted up w/RAM in A2. Got into Windows to desktop and disabled automatic startup for Steam and Spotify. Attempted to use Blue Screen troubleshooting pack from the Control Panel but it found nothing. Did a few more things like opened multiple PDFs, Word docs, Paint.net, and played a game of Solitaire (I suck at Solitaire). No BSOD. (I shut down through the start menu. I will attempt to connect to Internet tomorrow and stay online with it).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users