Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Line of Pixels In Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kill3rWhale

Kill3rWhale

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 08 July 2018 - 08:22 PM

Hi. I recently bought an Eluktronics N850HP6 Pro-x Gaming Laptop (GTX 1060, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD). A few days ago a vertical line of discolored pixels appeared. This line actually appeared before, but went away quickly. I don't know what caused it to disappear. Below I have attached a picture of the line. I am unable to take a snippet of the line. The line extends from the top of the monitor to a little above the taskbar. Initially, it only showed on the Windows login and desktop, and when I dragged a window over it, it wouldn't show, unless there was blue in the window, in which case it would show in the window, but only in the blue part. It also would not show on black or white. To fix it, I tried updating my drivers, then restoring the system to a point when I didn't have the line. It didn't work, and in fact messed up a bunch of other stuff, so I used a system image I made a few days after getting my laptop, again before I had the line, and restored windows from that. The line was still there, except worse. It then showed in windows and apps, regardless of color, but when certain colors were placed over it, the pixels in the line would change color. It has since again gone back to only showing on the Windows desktop and in blue in windows. I have successfully updated all my graphics drivers, including Intel HD Graphics 630, because my NVIDIA isn't even on unless I'm plugged in and playing games or running graphics software. I have also run Window's memory diagnostic tool with no issues. I was wondering if it was a hardware issue with the display, so I went into the BIOS to see if I could see the line, and I was pretty sure I couldn't. So then I booted to Linux Mint from a live USB and saw no line, ever. I double checked this to make sure. However, I could see the line in Windows installation media and during Windows test before restart. I have run Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool and everything passed. Running dxdiag indicates no problems found. Booting into low resolution and safe mode doesn't help either. So I tried resetting the PC from "Reset this PC" in settings, and the line still persists. Please help

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jjkusaf

jjkusaf

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 08 July 2018 - 08:54 PM

Probably hardware (screen). If the line appears in the BIOS (or a Linux Live USB) ... than it is hardware. If the like doesn't appear on an external display (another monitor/TV) ... than it is the notebook screen.

Under warranty? Send it back.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 09 July 2018 - 11:39 AM

As jjkusaf alluded to, the BIOS is not part of the operating system.  Because of this you can boot into the BIOS to see if the line still appears.  If it dosen't then the problem is software related.  If the line still appears in the BIOS you have a problem with display.  Unfortunately to pursue this and diagnose the problem you will need to check the internal connections, something you do not want to do if this laptop is still under warranty as it will most likely void the warranty.  Another option if it is still under warranty would be to take it to a repair shop that is authorized by the manufacturer to have them perform a warranty repair. 

If the problem is with the display... take it back to the seller to replace the laptop or get your money back.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Gregk430

Gregk430

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 09 July 2018 - 09:16 PM

Going with dc3 on this one, if it's not your monitor and you see it in the bios you will have to consider hardware

Edit: Let us know

Edited by Gregk430, 09 July 2018 - 09:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users