Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Older design Flagship, or newer mid range?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 superking75

superking75

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 08 July 2018 - 08:06 PM

I realize there isn't any single one answer to this type of question, but am interested to see other people's line of thought on this subject. 

For a budget ranging no higher than about $400 (maybe a tad higher) USD would it be better to get a 2-3 year old flagship design, or a brand new mid-range phone? Why?

Personally, I'm considering the Samsung Galaxy s7 edge (or s8 if it's cheap enough in November) or the Google Pixel XL. I plan to wait till around Cyber Monday in november to buy and link up with Verizon. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 996 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:02 AM

I tried to save some money last year and switched to a brand-new Motorola Droid (on Verizon) and regret my decision almost every weekend. (One more year to go....)

I came from a couple of Samsung phones and I know they've got their problems but dang, they are fast.

I would go with the older flagship - they are popular for a reason.

My wife's almost 2 year old S7 still runs circles around my brand new Droid   (these are not the 'droids you're looking for) :luke:

And the camera, esp. in low-light situations, is waaaaay better than mine.

On the plus side, my coverage with Verizon is wonderful. Now if the phone could just match my coverage I'd be much happier.

My 2 cents. Hope it helps.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 12 July 2018 - 01:27 PM

You are correct, there is no "right" answer to this question.   The number of variables is just huge, and tech specs do not always translate into "works better" in the real world for what you use the phone for.

I've just been in this precise situation in my own household.  I have a Galaxy S7, which I like, but the screen is getting too small for me.  My partner had no smartphone and finally broke down and said he wanted one because he wants to be able to use Waze.  Our service is on T-Mobile, so an unlocked GSM phone is what we were looking for.

I went through three different models:  BLU Vivo XL3 Plus, Dougee Y6 Max, and Redmi 5 Plus before settling on the last one.   The first was great but for one major thing:  it could not make outgoing calls.  It would put itself into its own Do Not Disturb mode as soon as you tried to place an outgoing call.  This happened on *two* of these devices (I thought the first had to be some sort of fluke) and even their technical support (which was great, I wish the device had been) folks said something was wrong with the units after going through a long and through diagnostic process.

The Dougee Y6 Max, which has a huge 6.5" screen, would have absolutely been a keeper except for a deal breaker:   The GPS in them is, how shall I put this delicately, completely unusable.  How I missed that in the reviews for the device I do not know.

The Redmi 5 Plus looks and feels like a flagship phone, though the tech specs aren't the highest.  That being said, it is a way more than adequate performer in day to day use for all purposes and at $189 new the price is hard to beat for the feature set.

I just decided to do my own experimenting with a flagship from 2016 from a Japanese maker, Freetel, that never really got traction here in the USA.  Someone in Texas must have cornered the market on the remaining Samurai Kiwami flagships they were marketing here and is selling them via multiple venues (eBay and WalMart.com included) for under $100 [the cheapest site being WalMart.com at $91.99].   It's hard to beat the specs on that device at anywhere near to that price, but the drawback is that it comes with Android 5.1 and the only update is to Android 6.0.

This is really all a game, and it can be an extremely exhausting one, at that.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#4 Hareen

Hareen

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 14 July 2018 - 01:07 AM

I never suggest anyone go with a new phone unless you are a show off freak. The companies stopped producing phones without issues ages ago. I don't know if they are really testing the phones before releasing them. Also, the entire thing depends on how you use the phone.

Older flagships are always better, Except if you do very old (ancient) ones. But please consider not using the 3-year + old variant phones. Because they might not be supporting some applications which may require some specific hardware. Again this is purely on your usage requirement.

Also if you come from a flagship you cannot use the new mid-range phone peacefully. (experience) I was using Oneplus 5 and Now I am using Asus Zenfone M1 Max Pro. I feel bad about using my present phone in comparison to my previous phone all the time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users