Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Laptop has suddenly gotten very slow

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Falconry

Falconry

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2018 - 07:14 PM

I apologize if this is the wrong section, wasn't 100% sure where to post this, but do really need help.

I have the Star Wars HP Pavillion with Windows 10 and have had it for a while, and it's always been quite fast. For the past few days however it's suddenly gotten excruciatingly slow. Opening a new window or an app will take upwards of a minute, used to take 2 seconds. The laptop also freezes quite often which never used to happen. I'm not 100% sure what the cause is because I don't think I've downloaded anything risky too recently. I'm not sure if this will help, but it's a weird thing that may make it somewhat easier to pinpoint the issue, Incognito Mode on Chrome is a lot less slow than regular browsing, but both are very slowly and it's definitely not just browsers that are the issue.

Any help with getting my laptop up to speed would be greatly appreciated. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 08 July 2018 - 08:32 PM

Try the steps listed in this video. This should help. 

#3 Falconry

Falconry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2018 - 11:14 PM

Try the steps listed in this video. This should help. 

Thank you, followed all the steps in there and it actually took me over 2 hours to do because of how slow my laptop is. Got rid of a lot of unnecessary files but still it's quite slow.  

#4 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2018 - 11:43 PM

Here are a few more tricks...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44TKMEBtWag

Here is also a video on disabling some services you don't need.  

Edited by Mason21, 08 July 2018 - 11:47 PM.

#5 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 592 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 08 July 2018 - 11:52 PM

Hi,  we need more info about your machine. Go to search and type:- command prompt, right click on the returned command prompt and select "run as administrator" an elevated cmd prompt will open.

Please copy ALL the below cmd then right click anywhere in the cmd prompt window and select "paste"  the cmd will append to the prompt, press enter:-

echo > 0 & systeminfo | find /V /I "hotfix" | find /V "KB" >> 0 & WMIC /Node:localhost /Namespace:\\root\SecurityCenter2 Path AntiVirusProduct Get displayName /format:list >> 0 & wmic PATH Win32_VideoController GET Description,PNPDeviceID /format:list >> 0 & tasklist /v >> 0 & net start >> 0 & echo >> 0 & notepad 0

Notepad will open with data, please use the "More reply options" to attach the notepad output here.

#6 Falconry

Falconry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2018 - 12:03 AM

Here are a few more tricks...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44TKMEBtWag

Here is also a video on disabling some services you don't need.  

Thanks again, will be sure to do that after this post

Hi,  we need more info about your machine. Go to search and type:- command prompt, right click on the returned command prompt and select "run as administrator" an elevated cmd prompt will open.

Please copy ALL the below cmd then right click anywhere in the cmd prompt window and select "paste"  the cmd will append to the prompt, press enter:-

echo > 0 & systeminfo | find /V /I "hotfix" | find /V "KB" >> 0 & WMIC /Node:localhost /Namespace:\\root\SecurityCenter2 Path AntiVirusProduct Get displayName /format:list >> 0 & wmic PATH Win32_VideoController GET Description,PNPDeviceID /format:list >> 0 & tasklist /v >> 0 & net start >> 0 & echo >> 0 & notepad 0

Notepad will open with data, please use the "More reply options" to attach the notepad output here.

Thanks for responding, should be attached to this

Attached Files

• Attached File  0.txt   50.49KB   4 downloads

#7 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2018 - 12:14 AM

You didn't put your system specs so I don't know if you have an SSD or a mechanical hard drive...Changing to SSD will dramatically improve system speed. Adding memory will also help. 

#8 Falconry

Falconry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2018 - 12:18 AM

You didn't put your system specs so I don't know if you have an SSD or a mechanical hard drive...Changing to SSD will dramatically improve system speed. Adding memory will also help. 

Apparently mine is HDD, so that's good to note. 

#9 Gregk430

Gregk430

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 09 July 2018 - 08:08 PM

Use the tools RKill and Adwcleaner, you can find them on this website under downloads

#10 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2018 - 09:15 PM

I would also recommend running a scan with eset online scanner https://www.eset.com/us/home/online-scanner/?CMP=knc-Google-G_S-US-BR-C-OnlineScanner_B&gkw=eset%20online%20scanner&gcr=221959076326&gcp744383417&gag=38490441305&gpl=&gclid=CjwKCAjwj4zaBRABEiwA0xwsP6M8McYyJIemr9hactJMTRYTtdYbIK6_TRvDktrnwOGX3jObzjLxphoC8LEQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

And download and install Malwarebytes and run a scan... https://www.malwarebytes.com/

Edited by Mason21, 09 July 2018 - 09:16 PM.

#11 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 592 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2018 - 10:14 PM

Hi, you don't show any obvious problems, some processes are not needed however they should not cause a general slowdown.I see no signs of infections, although it won't hurt to run the suggested utils.

You processor is fairly weak, was this upgraded from win 8.1?

I would look at the health of your hdd, use the attached link to download the standard edition, run the program and any yellow warnings, might be time to look at a new drive, SSD will make a world of difference over your 5400 hdd.

https://crystalmark.info/en/download/

#12 Falconry

Falconry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2018 - 11:28 PM

Use the tools RKill and Adwcleaner, you can find them on this website under downloads

I downloaded them both, thanks

Thank you, I've been doing that, taking a while but slowly but surely getting done.

Hi, you don't show any obvious problems, some processes are not needed however they should not cause a general slowdown.I see no signs of infections, although it won't hurt to run the suggested utils.

You processor is fairly weak, was this upgraded from win 8.1?

I would look at the health of your hdd, use the attached link to download the standard edition, run the program and any yellow warnings, might be time to look at a new drive, SSD will make a world of difference over your 5400 hdd.

https://crystalmark.info/en/download/

It says health status good and temperature 43 degrees, not sure if anything else is important there. I don't think I did upgrade from 8.1 but could be wrong. Thanks for the help

#13 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 592 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2018 - 12:20 AM

Hi, open a cmd prompt as admin and type:- chkdsk /r, it will say the volume is in use and run at boot, say Y and restart. Chkdsk will run, can take a long time (hours) so be patient. Let us know what it reports when finished.

#14 Falconry

Falconry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 03:38 PM

Hi, open a cmd prompt as admin and type:- chkdsk /r, it will say the volume is in use and run at boot, say Y and restart. Chkdsk will run, can take a long time (hours) so be patient. Let us know what it reports when finished.

Sorry for the late response, I've been trying to do this. Each time it gets stuck at 11%. I've waited over an hour at 11% to no avail, and have tried at least 4 times.

#15 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 592 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 05:41 PM

Hi, as I said it can take hours and it does appear to hang, be patient let it run all day if needed, it's the report at the end we are interested in, if it fails to complete then this is a bad sign for file system corruption.

This time before running the chkdsk at the elevated cmd prompt, run this cmd first, then run the chkdsk.

fsutil resource setautoreset true %systemdrive%\  (press enter)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users