Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video stops, windows becomes slow/unresponsive(kinda), hard reset to solve

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 ck2069

ck2069

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 08 July 2018 - 04:29 PM

Hi, I have been troubleshooting my windows 10 system to figure out what to fix, would like some guidance for the next step.
Second time I write this as I had the error make the browser stop while writing this 10 minutes ago.

Problem breakdown:
1. Video stops (game, youtube, netflix) including the browser or app itself, sound continues for up to a few minutes.
2. I can use ctrl-shift-esc and try to force shut down the browser, or software that stops.
3. Software is removed fromt he running programs list, but is still visible in windows, I do not get second chance to force shut down anything, as now everything is just ignoring the pointers and any clicks I try (almost).
4. I sometimes still get to select to shut down through the windows menu, this results in black screen + pointer.

5. Manual hard reset to solve. (or wait up to 5-6 minutes and windows will sometimes manage to force restart itself.
6. BSOD in 1 out of 30 times, not really usefull I think "Unexpected kernel mode trap" and similar. Microsoft not really helpful.

Troubleshooted so far:

memtest86 - 3 full passes.
Open HWmonitor - all temps and Voltages OK.
Crystal Disc Info - all 3 ssd OK.
Removed old network card and got a new AC USB stick.
Uninstalled unused old drivers.
! SpeedFan reports 12V as 9,93V, BIOS reports it as 12,03V, no other monitoring software did find the sensor, so unsure if SpeedFan is giving a false reading here.
! Intel Processor Diagnostic tool: All passes, but 2: BrandString and SPBC Fails.
BitDefender - No issues, viruses or other problems. (BitDefender was installed after the problems started.)
GPU - I thought this could be the issue, retailer I got it from agreed, sent it in, got a new one and isse still there.
 (So got a 960 2GB to 1060 3GB upgrade for free...)
! Tried this ( https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576333/driver-verifier-bsod-related-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/ ) to verify drivers, got BSOD, attached the dumpfile.
Attached File  BSOD-minidump-070818-14640-01.zip   87.43KB   2 downloads
! Problem also verified in Safe Mode w/networking.

I have probably forgotting some of the things I have tried. EDIT: yes, i did reinstall windows 10...

Attached File  SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip   783.47KB   2 downloads

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/kLpJbZQF0SCRh4io5Vz7eHR

Any suggestions for next thing to try, or next hardware to replace?
My thoughts is that it could be:
PCIe GPU slot is not working.
PSU could be giving wrong 12V
Driver or windows update issue from any automatic updates at the end of may.

I am going to build a new system at some point in the near future, but I do not have the funds at the moment, so would like to at least patch my current system up so it can last a few months longer.

Edited by ck2069, 08 July 2018 - 04:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 softwaremaniac

softwaremaniac

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 1,120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 08 July 2018 - 10:27 PM

Hello, according to the logs, your AV product seems to be causing issues. Please completely remove Bitdefender from your machine and see if the situation improves.

#3 ck2069

ck2069
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2018 - 11:53 AM

Hello, according to the logs, your AV product seems to be causing issues. Please completely remove Bitdefender from your machine and see if the situation improves.

Hi, thank you for the suggestion.
I removed BD, and as I expected it did not make any difference on this issue.
I refer back to the initial post stating BD was installed (many days) after the issue started.

BitDefender - No issues, viruses or other problems. (BitDefender was installed after the problems started.)

So it would have been weird for it to work out that easily.

I thank you for the reply nonetheless!

#4 softwaremaniac

softwaremaniac

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 1,120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 09 July 2018 - 07:50 PM

Can you provide new dump files now for me to analyse?

#5 ck2069

ck2069
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:22 AM

Can you provide new dump files now for me to analyse?

Attached File  SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip   980.11KB   3 downloads

It is enough to re-generate this one, right?

#6 ck2069

ck2069
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2018 - 03:03 PM

Seems like one particular BSOD is more likelly to show than others if I get any BSOD; "IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL".
Should also mention that if I get any BSOD I always get them on reboot, a few seconds after the first boot windows logo shows.

Now the BSOD is not very helpful I think as it looks like it is not connected to any specific type of failure, but could be connected to everything from faulty driver to faulty hardware and even to faulty files in the windows boot sequence.

Anyone got any ideas?

#7 dmccoy

dmccoy

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 19 July 2018 - 02:21 PM

This dump file - Debug session time: Mon Jul  9 15:54:36.736 2018
Shows that the issue is most likely caused by your Nvidia driver. 

Probably caused by : nvlddmkm.sys

ffff8005`d275bf10 00000000`00000000 : 00000000`00000000 ffffa681`61711000 ffffa681`6592a1a0 ffffa681`65355010 : nvlddmkm+0

Image name: nvlddmkm.sys

Browse all global symbols  functions  data
    Timestamp:        Fri Jun  1 01:35:23 2018 

It looks like you have an updated driver so I would recommend the following:

Method 1 - Perform a clean install of your Nvidia driver as follows:

I suggest completely uninstalling the Nvidia display drivers using the steps in the link below:
https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/performing-a-clean-gpu-driver-installation.65/

Be sure the "clean install" box is checked and only install the graphics driver and the physx driver.

Method 2 Only if Method 1 does not work - Install one or two versions earlier then the latest Nvidia driver and or download the version from the manufacturer or motherboard website. 

The latest dump file with Driver Verifier enabled shows the following:

Probably caused by : trufos.sys ( trufos+1c8a0 )

ffffba8f`0a2f9630 00000000`00000000 : 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000020 00000000`00000020 00000000`00000000 : trufos+0x1c8a0

trufos.sys file is a software component of BitDefender Antivirus by Bitdefender. I recommend uninstalling BitDefender with the following removal tool and only use Windows Defender for best protection, compatibility and performance.

https://www.bitdefender.com/uninstall/

Edited by dmccoyks, 19 July 2018 - 02:24 PM.

We are all volunteers so please by kind, courteous and respectful

I try to respond in 24-48 hours normally and I am more active on weekdays than weekends. However, sometimes due to my health, family or life it may take me a little longer. If you have not heard from me within 72 hours then please PM me a reminder. 

BC BSOD Posting Instructions 

#8 ck2069

ck2069
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2018 - 02:11 PM

This dump file - Debug session time: Mon Jul  9 15:54:36.736 2018
Shows that the issue is most likely caused by your Nvidia driver. 

Hi, thank you for the reply, I have tried to fully uninstall the drivers and only install the graphics and physx driver, it does not seem to do any difference.

Whatever issues BitDefender is causing, it is unrelated to the issue I am trying to solve as I have tried having it uninstalled and I installed it in the first place after this issue started, so I will keep it so that I keep access to my passwords. Howver I will look into a different method of password management when my BD subscription runs out.

As I am only getting BSOD on restart (and only rearily so), would it be helpful if I force a BSOD (using the Ctrl+Scroll+Scroll method) right after the issue arises? Would it then be possible to see what drivers and such were doing anything in the seconds up to the BSOD? Or would it just result in the analysis showing that the BSOD was user initiated and nothing else?

I am also wondering if I should try to use a dirver from before I started to have this issue, however as I have a new GPU, it seem to be kind of weird for it to be the driver/GPU at all.

#9 dmccoy

dmccoy

• 1,188 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2018 - 02:35 PM

The first step as I mentioned above is to remove bitdefender and test. It showed that it was the main driver causing the BSOD when Driver Verifier was running. Once we are finished troubleshooting and if it turns out to not be an issue then you can try reinstalling if you choose even though I recommend against it. Third party AV's especially with Windows 10 cause a lot of unneeded issues. There are several other passwords managers and some are free such as Last Past. If you still get BSOD's after removing then run the Sysnative app again and upload the results.

I try to respond in 24-48 hours normally and I am more active on weekdays than weekends. However, sometimes due to my health, family or life it may take me a little longer. If you have not heard from me within 72 hours then please PM me a reminder. 

#10 ck2069

ck2069
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2018 - 07:52 AM

BitDefender removed, reinstalled Nvidia graphics and physx drivers afterwards, set up windows for clean boot.

Problem still occours, lastly 25 minutes ago, video stopped in the middle of a youtube video, sound continued, after a while the screen goes black and stayed that way until I manually restarted some minutes later.

Other problem that might be related or not is that the Windows update fails installing the newest cumulative update pack, I have tried some fixes for this (deleting WU cache/downloads, using script to reset WU, scanning files and drive using windows built in tools, using the WU troubleshooter.) If you think this is unrelated I will make a new thread for this issue later here or at some other forum.

New Sysnative run: Attached File  SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip   1.52MB   1 downloads

I have set up Ctrl+Scroll manual BSOD if needed.

#11 dmccoy

dmccoy

• 1,188 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2018 - 12:08 PM

In order to help you more I would like for you to convert Windows to English by following the link below and then re-run the Sysnative app.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-properly-change-system-default-language-windows-10

#12 dmccoy

dmccoy

• 1,188 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2018 - 12:10 PM

Lets get a list of your drivers as well:

List all Drivers
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html
1. Download the correct version for your computer (32 or 64 bit)
2. Extract and Run the file
3. Select View Menu and Check
1. Mark Non-Microsoft Drivers
2. Hide Microsoft Drivers
3. Add Header Line To CVS/Tab-Delimited File
4. Select Edit menu and choose Select All or use (Ctrl + A)
5. Select File menu and choose Save Selected Items
6. Save as Drivers or other known name
7. Save As Type Comma-delimited text file (.csv)
8. Compress the Drivers.csv file to a compressed Zip file
9. Upload the file to your next reply

#13 ck2069

ck2069
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2018 - 03:29 PM

Ok, language changed.
Here are the new scan and driver list:

Attached File  SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip   1.52MB   2 downloads

Attached File  Drivers.zip   1.12KB   2 downloads

#14 dmccoy

dmccoy

• 1,188 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2018 - 05:43 PM

We may want to address the Windows update issues but let me check all this out and get back with you first. 

#15 dmccoy

dmccoy

• 1,188 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2018 - 06:36 PM

It looks like you have the following old drivers. Please remove the following related software while troubleshooting. Once finished you can download the updated version for speedfan, but you should look for a replacement for RecordNow! if needed. Let me know if any changes after removing these.

PxHlpa64.sys - 03.11.2011

speedfan.sys - 29.12.2012

http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users