Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble with Sandisk 64BG Flash Drive

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bostonblackie

bostonblackie

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 08 July 2018 - 03:04 PM

I bought a new 64GB Sandisk Flash Drive a few days ago and am having trouble with it.  I've bought 4-5 before with no problem at all so this is something I need help fixing.  I use the Flash Drives to move mostly video content I want to keep but takes up room on my hard drive I can use for other things like photos and music files.  Anyway, it seems my windows 10 is not recognizing the flash drive.  I tried a few things I read about on the internet with people who had a similar problem but none of the solutions worked.  I ran an admini,  command prompt to check the drive and it said it couldn't fix the flash drive because it was RAW.  Looks like I need to find a way to change the RAW to fat32  or NTFS to get it to work.  Is there a simple way to do that?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,998 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2018 - 04:42 PM

Make absolutely sure you are dealing with the correct disk number as it will be wiped. For a 64GB I would recommend NTFS. Windows can only format FAT32 to 32GB. To go past 32GB requires a program like Partition Wizard.

Open an elevated command prompt and type the following commands. Press the Windows key + X > command prompt as admin. It may be called powershell

diskpart

list disk

select disk X      Where X is the number associated with the 64GB flash drive. The next command wipes the flash drive. 

clean

create partition primary

format fs=ntfs quick

assign

exit

Your drive should now be detected.

#3 bostonblackie

bostonblackie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2018 - 07:47 PM

John C:  I did as you suggested but when I got to diskpart. clean -- after several minutes I got this reply:

diskpart has encounted an error.  The Semaphore time period has expired.  See the System event log for more information. 

I typed in clean again to see if I get the same answer.  I looked up that error message and found that some had the problem because the flash drive was read-only!

Got the same answer again!

BTW:  When I checked This PC the flash drive was listed as the D drive and under it was listed fat32...

Edited by bostonblackie, 08 July 2018 - 07:49 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,998 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2018 - 07:59 PM

If Sandisk marks a drive as read only then there is nothing that can be done. Sandisk detects a fault and prevents any writes to the flash drive. I can't say it's a Windows 10 problem.

It may be the following Windows setting but I doubt it unless the Sandisk is not write protected on a different computer or if other USB flash drives are not write protected on the computer. 

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/windows-10-suddenly-write-protecting-usb-drives/4e614ac5-05ae-490a-a18d-0d70c5dd71d0?auth=1

If the drive is new I would contact Sandisk for a replacement unless there is data on the drive you do not want anybody to have access to.

The below thread starts in 2012 and goes to 2018 on page 8

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/All-SanDisk-USB-Flash-Drives/HOW-TO-REMOVE-WRITE-PROTECTION-FROM-USB-FLASH-DRIVE/td-p/283430

Edited by JohnC_21, 08 July 2018 - 08:05 PM.

#5 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2018 - 12:31 PM

Make absolutely sure you are dealing with the correct disk number as it will be wiped. For a 64GB I would recommend NTFS. Windows can only format FAT32 to 32GB. To go past 32GB requires a program like Partition Wizard.

Open an elevated command prompt and type the following commands. Press the Windows key + X > command prompt as admin. It may be called powershell

diskpart

list disk

select disk X      Where X is the number associated with the 64GB flash drive. The next command wipes the flash drive. 

clean

create partition primary

format fs=ntfs quick

assign

exit

Your drive should now be detected.

My cmds had an extra word:

screenshot_48.jpg

My usbs all had extra drive letters.

This fixed it.

My format had to be ntfs.

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,998 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2018 - 12:36 PM

I never made a USB flash drive active unless I intended to boot it. All the active flag on a partition does is say it can boot, nothing else.

https://www.computerhope.com/jargon/a/activepa.htm

The OP could not get past the clean command because of write protection.

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 July 2018 - 12:37 PM.

#7 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,342 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 10 July 2018 - 12:05 PM

I think I pointed this out once before, but the SanDisk 'write-protection' saga dates back several years to a huge batch of faulty controller chips which SanDisk had sourced from Hynix. When SanDisk realized they had a problem, they tried to get a refund from Hynix.....who point-blank refused (something to do with the specific wording on a bulk-purchase contract legal document that was in place between the two companies).

Last I heard of it, it had devolved into a protracted court battle between the two firms.....with neither side prepared to back down. The case had at that time been dragging on for nearly four years, with no successful conclusion on the radar.

The only folks who have benefited from this so far have been the lawyers..!

Despite all this, I still swear by SanDisk flash drives; I love their USB 3.0 Ultra 'Fit' model, and have several of 'em, ranging from 32 GB versions all the way up to the big 128 GB ones.

Tens of thousands of the faulty ones are, apparently, still in circulation.....being bought on and sold again, very often as 'job lots'.

Mike. :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 10 July 2018 - 01:58 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,998 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2018 - 12:38 PM

Thanks for that interesting info on Sandisk and Hynix Mike.  :thumbup2:

#9 bostonblackie

bostonblackie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2018 - 09:28 PM

JohnC_21:  Just to let you know, I'm sending the Sandisk USB flash drive back to Amazon for a replacement.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users