Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bios help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gsil247

gsil247

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 08 July 2018 - 12:34 PM

I just purchased a Gigabyte X470 Aorus Motherboard along with Samsung 970 EVO 500GB - NVMe PCIe M.2. yesterday. The bios doesn't read the device anywhere. It did the first time I installed Window, then I had to reinstall Windows because I kept getting the blue screen with random crashing. Under Disk Management, it shows the SSD is connected just fine. However, under the Bios in the "Chipset" tab, it does not show in ports 0-5. It will show other hard drives, but not that one. In the Bios under the "Bios" tab, the Boot Option 1 and 2 also do not show it. This is needed (I think), because I can not install Windows here. I used a different hard drive I had to even get windows working. Someone please help me figure this out. 

Attached Files

Edited by gsil247, 08 July 2018 - 12:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 08 July 2018 - 01:59 PM

The person on Reddit had the same problem with the same motherboard and SSD. What happens if you move the SSD to the other M.2 slot? The M.2b slot will give lower speeds. Fortunately, for some reason when the poster moved the M.2 drive back to the M.2a slot it was detected. It's possible the SSD itself failed if it is not detected in the M.2b slot.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gigabytegaming/comments/8firg4/x470_aorus_gaming_5_issue_with_m2_ssd/

Looking at the support site for your motherboard there is an updated chipset driver dated 6/2018.

#3 gsil247

gsil247
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2018 - 03:43 PM

I could give you a hug right now. I was about to go to Best Buy and pay them $100 to even look at it. Thank you so much

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2018 - 04:03 PM

Is the drive detected now?

#5 gsil247

gsil247
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2018 - 06:19 PM

Absolutely it is. You saved me a ton of money and time

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2018 - 06:30 PM

FYI, if the SSD is in the M.2b slot it will not be as fast as the M.2a slot. You can check your motherboard manual on that.

Edited by JohnC_21, 08 July 2018 - 06:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users