Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ReCon - Android VPN with Additional Controls

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 08 July 2018 - 11:45 AM

This is one of those topics that spans forums, or could, but to me is much more about security/privacy than Android itself, so I've elected to at least start it here.   If other moderators feel it should be in the Android OS forum feel free to move it.

While cruising along in androidforums.com this morning I came upon this thread:  

So Apparently Our Phones Are Taking Pics of us and distributing them without permission!

Several levels of indirection later I arrived at the page of the researchers who performed the research on the question/conspiracy theory regarding whether your phone is listening to you without your permission.   They have developed a VPN Utility called ReCon that appears to have some very powerful features to help in maintaining privacy under Android.

I am not a VPN user, period, so the depth of my knowledge regarding same is shallow.  What I like most about ReCon, though, is the controls it gives you and the analyses it can do.   I'm seeking input from those with greater expertise regarding VPNs and the sorts of controls offered by ReCon in an effort to decide whether I want to install it on my Android devices or not.

Any and all input is appreciated.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users