Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unseen Firewall

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jbaa02

jbaa02

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 10 October 2006 - 10:18 PM

Is there a firewall that is password protected and not seen on the system tray and in the task manager window?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2006 - 06:04 AM

The Windows firewall can be password protected but can be seen in the notification area.
I don't remember if Zone Alarm can be password protected but it would make sense that it could be.

What are you trying to do?
MAybe we can help you accomplish it.

#3 jbaa02

jbaa02
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2006 - 06:12 PM

There are 4 user accounts on our pc ,all users are administrators and none would like to have limited account.One of the users turns off any firewall whenever he logs on,making the pc vulnerable.We are looking for a firewall which he cannot disable and does not appear on the task manager so that he does not know that there is a firewall running in thew background.
Thanks.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2006 - 06:27 PM

No one should use an administrator account while connected to the Internet.

Why you should not run your computer as an administrator

Running Windows 2000 or Windows XP as an administrator makes the system more vulnerable to Trojans, viruses, spyware and other security risks. The simple act of visiting an Internet site can be extremely damaging to the system. An unfamiliar Internet site may have Trojan code that can be downloaded to the system and executed without any intervention necessary from you. If you are logged on with administrator privileges, a Trojan could do things like reformat your hard drive, delete all your files, create a new user account with administrative access, steal your banking records and passwords, etc.

You should add accounts for all users to the Users or Power Users group. If you need to perform administrative tasks, such as upgrading the operating system or configuring system parameters, then log off and log back on as an administrator.

If I had someone who shut off the firewall while using my computer they would be denied further access to my computer the first time I caught them shutting the firewall or av program off.

An administrator has access to everything on the computer if they know how to access it including your personal files.

The only firewalls I know of that cannot be altered by someone with an administrator account are hardware firewalls because they are separate from the system and are configured with their own access passwords.
There may be some commercial software firewalls that limit access as well - I don't know.

Edited by Enthusiast, 11 October 2006 - 06:33 PM.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 12 October 2006 - 07:25 AM

You can password protect ZoneAlarm Pro to help prevent this. But the deeper issue is why you'd even let this person on the computer since they display disregard for everyone else.

I'd suggest taking away their privileges completely for a short while. The reinstate them conditional upon their use of the firewall - if they don't comply, they don't get on the computer.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 DASOS

DASOS

Malware hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 1,662 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 12 October 2006 - 01:43 PM

Hi jbaa02

http://smb.sygate.com/products/spf_standard.htm

Posted Image

Stelios :thumbsup:

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 13 October 2006 - 10:26 AM

Way cool DASOS! I've been using Sygate for years and didn't even know about this! Thanks!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 DASOS

DASOS

Malware hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 1,662 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 13 October 2006 - 01:12 PM

You're welcome usasma :thumbsup:

It was my pleasure :flowers:

Stelios :trumpet:

0 user(s) are reading this topic