Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC upgrade for aging gaming PC

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ginger_Overlord

Ginger_Overlord

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 08 July 2018 - 04:31 AM

Hi,

Hope you can help.

I'm looking at upgrading my PC, making it a bit faster and able to play modern games without having the need to turn all the graphics settings down. I have a budget of around £500/£600 to get any necessary hardware upgrades. Here are a few of my PC specs:

OS - Windows 10
Motherboard - MSI Z77A-G41 (MS-7758) (SOCKET 0)
GPU - 8192MB ATI AMD Radeon RX 480 (ATI)
CPU - Intel Core i5 3470 @ 3.20GHz Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
RAM - 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Storage - 465GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB (SSD) & 465GB Hitachi HDT721050SLA360 (SATA)
PSU - CX500

I've seen other posts where the OP has been advised to upgrade RAM and GPU, is this the case here or will I have to scrap most of my setup and start again?

Many thanks,

Chris.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 donisonleague

donisonleague

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 08 July 2018 - 10:18 AM

8 GB more of ram wouldn't be bad, but mostly non strictly necessary.
Your build is very fine, for 1080p 144Hz you could look into upgrading your rx480 into a gtx1070.
At that point, maybe the i5 would bottleneck your gpu. The problem is, the Best cpu 1155 you could take would be an i7 3770k, so, since your budget is quite good, you could consider switching both the mobo and the cpu.

EDIT: The i7 3770k would never bottleneck your GTX 1070, i'm just saying that with your budget it could be a waste to buy an older cpu just to keep your modo and save... Maybe 200$.
If you wish to keep your mobo and reduce the expense, to keep some more money for a future all-in upgrade, i7 3770k will be fine for you.

EDIT2: I've just seen things are quite more expensive in the UK than in the rest of EU. Do you have the possibility of buying from abroad? Otherwise a GTX 1060 would be viable, but it is such a minor upgrade from the rx480 that i would advise against.
In that case probably you should consider in keeping your current build and save for a future moment, when gpus will be less expensive (that is the current trend after the crypto frenzy diminished)

Edited by donisonleague, 08 July 2018 - 10:31 AM.

#3 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,501 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 08 July 2018 - 11:45 AM

LGA1155 stuff tend to be expensive and 3770 is very upgrade to current. Not recommended.

GTX1070 on current prices is overkill and GTX1060 is not upgrade at all.

So if you can sell everything and add it to that £500-600, you could get real upgrade. Right now that system has no decent upgrade paths considering prices.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users