Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Send me a reply please

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,859 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 08 July 2018 - 01:44 AM

Having difficulty receiving replies to followed topics.

If you happen to read this can you type and post a reply for me please ?

This will help me figure out where the bottleneck/screw up is

Brian

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,075 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2018 - 01:48 AM

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#3 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,553 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 08 July 2018 - 01:54 AM

Hello Brian...:)

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,859 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2018 - 02:04 AM

zero received......thanks Nick and softeyes.

1212.png

As you can see of the pic of my first few folders, emails are coming in....in other folders. I have checked trash and spam etc etc...zero

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#5 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,859 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2018 - 04:48 AM

As of 1 hour and 10 minutes ago I started receiving emails again.

Nothing done at my end, at all.

Thanks to the gremlins for sorting that out !!..... :hysterical:

Edited by Condobloke, 08 July 2018 - 04:58 AM.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,797 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 08 July 2018 - 10:08 AM

Just replying so that you can see if the spigot remains "on," or if there is an intermittent "off" problem.

From another Brian.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#7 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 539 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2018 - 10:45 AM

Condobloke, send one of those gremlins who worked it out my way since as of a few days ago, my secondary Hotmail (Outlook) email receives email (also PM's from this site) but none will open to read, either new or former in inbox... get either a 'bad request' or server down. Sent a test mail from Hotmail to myself (my addy @ hotmail), got it, same thing.

Will be trying the community clubhouse computer to rule out this older iPad Safari, but will probably open a Gmail account/change notification for this site and other uses anyway.

Unless you send that gremlin mechanic, but use postal though, not email.
Bleepin' desert rat retiree in climes yet to fry brains (knock on cactus).

Past climes/best friend:  photo-91.gif

#8 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,859 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2018 - 08:48 PM

@ britechguy, the tap appears to be flowing....I have received email since approx 11pm (my time) right through till about 8 minutes ago

@ r.a.d.  if emails wont open at all that may reflect a 'break' in the internet connection ?...maybe?....just a guess. I started out with the mandatory reboot, signing in and out (of BC in my case), and then just shutting down and going for a long walk !!

Consider the gremlin on its way !     :)

I have found gmail to be good value....I access gmail via Thunderbird.....works seamlessly (apart from yesterday !)

edit to add : I even used Timeshift (similar to system restore) to go back a couple of days just in case a update to something had made things a bit weird....but no luck)

(I run Linux Mint 18.3)

Edited by Condobloke, 08 July 2018 - 09:15 PM.

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,010 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 09 July 2018 - 03:35 AM

Condobloke, send one of those gremlins who worked it out my way since as of a few days ago, my secondary Hotmail (Outlook) email receives email (also PM's from this site) but none will open to read, either new or former in inbox... get either a 'bad request' or server down. Sent a test mail from Hotmail to myself (my addy @ hotmail), got it, same thing.

Will be trying the community clubhouse computer to rule out this older iPad Safari, but will probably open a Gmail account/change notification for this site and other uses anyway.

Unless you send that gremlin mechanic, but use postal though, not email.

If it's the Outlook email client (component of Office 2010 through present), yes it's crappy at times. :(

I've opened emails on the with the installed app (Outlook) & these wouldn't open, oddly using the Mail app of Windows 10, these opens fine. So does signing in from the browser, the latter two are normally fine. However, there's been times, fortunately not many as of late, when the entire service would be down for everyone, to include OneDrive syncing. 

These days, I use GMail for forums & non-business emails, this way am not getting business mixed with pleasure. :)

So far, have never had GMail to go down on me, yet if it were to happen, can't complain. 15GB of free storage (17GB if adding photos), a lot for no cost, other than get 'ads based on interests', which can be turned off. 

I highly recommend GMail to anyone looking for a no cost option to Outlook Mail & especially Yahoo/AOL, where spam control may as well not exist. One can mark a sender as a spammer, yet will continue to receive messages in the inbox, so obviously reporting as Spam doesn't work. Thank goodness it does on both GMail & Outlook/Hotmail, I've not used the services of Yahoo/AOL for years & will never go back.

Finally, there's the slim chance of a technical glitch with the forum, yet I've not experienced an issue in a long time.

Good Luck moving forward. :)

Cat  

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#10 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 539 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2018 - 10:35 AM

Cat, thanks, it's the iPad, 1st. Gen. Vs: 5.1.1 where sites are evolving beyond the non-upgradable Safari (tantamount to IE 6 today). My One Drive storage is the same now. Will be trying Gmail, see if it gets along, and soon we'll be getting a much newer iPad (and a better router for good measure).

Condobloke, hope your problem doesn't return. Might of been a hiccup. 
If your mechanic gremlin arrives here it'll laugh and say my old jalopy can no longer drive up cyber hill.
:) 

#11 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 539 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2018 - 10:51 AM

Condobloke, though I did somewhat hijack your topic with my own problem (apologies mate) the gremlin you sent is a sneaky one, never heard it tinkering here, and with our home security system (a little dog with excellent hearing) it must have snuck into the Microsoft Hotmail/Outlook servers instead, or maybe poured higher octane in my jalopy, unbeknownst to the dog.

Things are now working fine as of this morning.

#12 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,766 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2018 - 11:59 AM

Some, a small number, spouse included, use different applications on different devices to access the same domain.  Like a laptop and a tablet.  But forgetting to log off on one device can idle the others response to inquiry.  I confine myself to using one device for one domain so that it will never happen.  I have noticed that Chrome seems to leave a lot of leftover file remnants and extra process files not closed when the program is closed.  This maybe the reason some devices don't really get logged off when closed.  ??

#13 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,859 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2018 - 08:41 PM

@ mjd, i have no time for chrome....just doesnt suit me. Good thought re leftover files and file remnants though...wonder if that is a deliberate action on chromes part ?

@r.a.d, no apology necessary. Methinks the actual site (BC) had more to do with it than first met the eye. Just a hunch.

#14 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,859 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2018 - 08:17 PM

and......the gremlins strike again

8 emails this morning instead of the 'usual' 30 (approx)

those missing are mostly from WINDOWS 10 SUPPORT

I did not start to receive emails till around 5.45 AM, this morning (utc/gmt + 8)....not australia

Edited by Condobloke, 14 July 2018 - 08:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users