Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

With Win 10 1709 and 1803 - Defender and ?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ozstar

ozstar

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 07 July 2018 - 05:42 PM

Hi,

I have a few Win 10 1709 and 1803 boxes and have used since it started, Avast Free.

Always found it good for locating virus and always up there in the compare charts.  Recently it had become as bloated as Win and many of the other well know programs.

Just yesterday it actually stopped my pop mail from downloading.

I have read your great advice here and am now uninstalling Avast and this Avast Browser invader.

I also have been using with Avast, for many years Free Malwarebytes and Super AntiSpyware.

Should I ditch these two as well even though every 2 or so days I get about 3 to 500 cookies that SuperAnti gets rid of.

If suggested I keep a cookie killer, Is SpywareBlaster Free better than SuperAnti?

Thanks, your advice is always taken seriously and this sire has excellent credibility.

oz

BTW. Use Firefox and Waterfox and Thunderbird.

Edited by ozstar, 07 July 2018 - 05:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,918 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 08 July 2018 - 06:29 AM

Windows 10 Defender (Windows Defender Antivirus), Microsoft's free built-in (integrated) anti-virus and anti-malware solution, is just as good as any other free antivirus solution (and probably easier to use for the novice) without bundled toolbars or nagging popups. Microsoft has incorporated a number of significant improvements which make it competitive with other major anti-virus vendors. For more specific information about Windows Defender, see my comments in Choosing an Anti-Virus Program.

Although Windows Defender provides some anti-malware protection...it is weak, meaning it does not provide comprehensive protection and cannot prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. This is true for most anti-virus solutions. Anti-virus and anti-malware programs each perform different tasks as it relates to computer security and threat detection. Essentially, they look for and remove different types of malicious threats. Therefore, you need both an anti-virus and an effective anti-malware solution for maximum protection.

If you choose to use Windows Defender (or any other anti-virus), then I recommend adding an additional anti-malware solution like Malwarebytes for Windows Premium. Please read Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools for information about trustworthy and effective anti-malware programs which can find and remove adware, spyware, browser hijackers and potentially unwanted programs.

If you want to use SUPERAntiSpyware Free, I recommend using it as a separate stand-alone on-demand scanner. The free version does not provide real-time protection, auto-Scanning, auto-updates or scheduled scanning so there is no need for it to run at startup and waste system resources. However, it does offer technology to deal with some rootkit infections and gives you another tool to use for a second opinion or in the event of malware infection where some of your tools may be disabled.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users