Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchase template: Want a computer that doesn't make me wait

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 countermoon

countermoon

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 07 July 2018 - 12:11 PM

Laptop or Desktop? Desktop

My budget for the new computer is: $1000

What are the primary uses for this computer?

A lot of web use and writing. Also: music and photos, want to try video editing; CD and DVD burning; possibly occasional light gaming such as strategy, adventure, and simulation games (not shooters or the popular games that kids play)

What software do you intend on using on the computer? Word processing, Firefox with many extensions, VLC, Avast, Malwarebytes, Shotcut or inexpensive equivalent, Faststone Image Viewer, Audacity, Musicbee, Sumatra, backup software, VPN, text expansion, utilities such as by Tweaking.com, firewall software, Calibre.

Do you play games? If so, what type of games? Not a gamer at all now, but I might try some of the brainier games: strategy, adventure, and simulation (not shooters or the popular games that kids play), esp. vintage games from the 1990s and early 2000s such as Tropico and Railroad Tycoon. I don't need to run the latest games but I want to be able to run some games well.

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it? Usually one at a time

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer? Yes

Will you be overclocking? No

Location for online shopping/shipment/prices? B&H

How many monitors are you planning to use? One

Do you need peripherals? OS? I need a monitor. I like Dell's but will consider similar quality. I use Windows 7 but would upgrade to 8.1 or 10. I also own a ten year old iMac (2 GHz Intel Core Duo) which dual boots Mac OS 10.6 and Windows 7 via Boot Camp.

Any particular reason why you are upgrading? I have used computers since I was young kid when I had an Apple II in the early 1980s. But I'm done with The New Apple. I also have a 10-year-old Dell Latitude D630 (1.8 GHz Intel Core Duo) laptop that I use mainly for web surfing. I want something faster. I don't want to wait for anything. I put an SSD in my laptop, maxed the RAM, and I still don't like waiting. I mean everything, every process of the computer has to be fast. Above all I want something fast. I don't want to wait at all for anything. Have I established that I hate waiting on my computer? I bought my folks a Dell Inspiron 3847 desktop, maxed the RAM to 16 MB, installed an SSD, and cut down services, and it's still too slow. I hate watching the cursor. I don't know what the OS is doing, but I don't want to wait while it's doing it.

Edited by countermoon, 08 July 2018 - 06:55 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,401 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 07 July 2018 - 01:07 PM

Location for online shopping/shipment/prices? I don't understand the question.

That means either what hop you want to use for buying parts or alternatively in what country you are living in.

Another question: can you build computer from parts?

#3 countermoon

countermoon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2018 - 02:04 PM

What "hop" do I want to use? I don't plan on doing any hopping.

Can I build a computer? I don't know. I would rather not. I've read that building your own costs more, so I don't know what the advantage is. What about a place like Origin, Falcon, or Digital Storm that build custom computers? Are they reliable?

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,401 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2018 - 02:41 PM

Oh crap, I meant "shop", not hop :rolleyes:

Building is cheaper (building is not free if shop does it) and because parts can be selected, there is no risk getting crappy that almost all builders tend to put on machines.

Falcon only offer very expensive ones, Digital Storm has nothing that suits for your use and OriginPC's configuration system sucks.

If you can build yourself, this system is far better than anything from those companies considering price:

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YVvvZR
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YVvvZR/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($93.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI - X470 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($129.99 @ B&H)
Memory: ADATA - XPG GAMMIX D10 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($149.90 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital - Black NVMe 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($194.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($57.99 @ Amazon)
Case: DIYPC - Solo-T1-R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($21.97 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - PRIME Ultra Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.11 @ B&H)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home Full 32/64-bit  ($103.95 @ Trusted Tech Team)
Total: $821.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-07 15:40 EDT-0400

You can later switch CPU into something better and add better video card. Case is cheapest possible, pick any ATX case that looks good.

#5 countermoon

countermoon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2018 - 05:21 PM

Interesting that you picked AMD over Intel, and two internal drives. I'm not a big fan of Amazon. Are there other stores you can recommend? Also, I'll need an optical drive. I would have to think long and hard about building my own.

#6 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,401 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2018 - 02:55 AM

Updated with DVD drive https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mB3vZR

AMD offers enough CPU power and much better video card for gaming on that price. AM4 platform also offers great upgrade paths if you want more power. SSD is for programs (no waiting) and HDD for photos etc that don't need much speed.

You can choose what merchant you want if Amazon is out of question.

I can also check some pre-builts but quality and/or price-performance ratio will be much worse.

#7 countermoon

countermoon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2018 - 06:42 AM

I like B&H. I buy a lot from them.

I need a monitor. I like Dell's but will consider similar quality

Edited by countermoon, 08 July 2018 - 06:55 AM.

#8 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,401 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2018 - 07:02 AM

This list have everything from B&H https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vttqbX

Add ATX case that looks good.

Since you are not gaming, 60Hz monitor is probably OK. How big? 27 inch? Or does it have to be "professional" monitor? Professional parts are very expensive.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 08 July 2018 - 07:02 AM.

#9 countermoon

countermoon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2018 - 01:27 PM

I was going to say 21", basic monitor, no frills. As long as can I read the text with my old eyes. Monitors get bigger but the text gets smaller. Default resolution and so on. I don't need a wide screen. I don't watch movies on the computer. Internet scrolls vertically, not horizontally.

I need wifi. I use ATT.

You think that CPU is fast enough?

Does the OS go on the SSD? Maybe I don't need that second drive?

Edited by countermoon, 08 July 2018 - 01:50 PM.

#10 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,401 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2018 - 02:20 PM

Basic monitors are easy to find.

Wifi: add https://pcpartpicker.com/product/RZNp99/asus-wireless-network-card-pcen15

CPU should be fast enough and better CPU can be easily added. In case you want better CPU now, you'll also need video card.

OS goes to SSD. If that SSD is large enough, then you don't need HDD.

#11 countermoon

countermoon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2018 - 11:25 PM

Which part determines how long you watch the cursor, like when updates are being installed? SSD and CPU?

#12 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,401 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2018 - 03:42 AM

Mostly SSD. CPU has not much to do with it unless files are very heavily packed (usually not).

#13 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 10 July 2018 - 01:39 PM

I have three 27" monitors on my desk at home.  They are 1920x1080, so they are good for old eyes.  I use 24" at work, also 1920x1080.  Going larger isn't an issue, it is the resolution you need to watch.  If you get a 4K monitor everything will be tiny, without scaling, by sticking to a larger, but lower resolution monitor, everything gets bigger and scaling is still an option.  1920x1080 is 1080p, so also good for watching movies and such.

#14 countermoon

countermoon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2018 - 06:24 PM

Thanks to everyone for the generous help. I've done a lot of reading and thinking and I have some revisions.

First, I need a monitor. I like Dell. I'm in agreement about what this guy says about 12:10 versus 12:9 monitors.

https://www.techradar.com/news/computing-components/peripherals/i-wish-i-was-a-little-bit-taller-the-problem-with-16-9-monitors-1176872

Anything bigger than 17" is OK with me. My only worry is getting a monitor that's too big, having to adjust to a non-native resolution, and still find that the text is either too big or too small. I have to wear glasses when I read. It took me a long time to adjust my Dell D630 Latitude to a resolution that suited me. I find font handling in Windows to be quite lousy.

I'm setting my new dollar amount at $1500. I'm undecided about whether I need both an SSD and a mechanical HD but I'm convinced that a fast, reliable SSD is key to my search for a computer for impatient people.

Re: cases. I noticed the trend of having a case with a glass side panel. Well, I don't know want something  that will add weight to an already heavy case. Sure, I want something solid, not plastic, but I have a bad back which is better after surgery a few years ago. I don't  care about seeing inside the computer. I would rather not. I think a mid tower would suit me better than a full tower as I don't need a lot of empty slots. I don't like having to bend over to start up a tower all the time. With my back, I shouldn't be doing much bending or lifting. Something I dislike about towers, always having to crawl on the floor. I like white cases or something other than black.

These considerations change my template. I also have some biases in favor of Crucial and B&H and against Amazon even if means spending more money. I've bought too much broken merchandise from Amazon to trust them much, and I don't care for the company.

My current ATT DSL has a big black modem/router box on my desk plugged directly into my Mac, so I don't need a wifi adapter.

I would like an optical drive but it doesn't have to be a blue ray player. I'm not going to buy cheap, slow, noisy one, because I've seen those already and optical drive for me gets a lot of use. Pioneer seems like a reliable brand. I have an old Rotel DVD player on which I watch movies and such occasionally,and it isn't a blue ray, so I doubt I'm missing anything.

One more big point: Suppose I wanted to build a PC that could boot both Windows and the Mac OS. The best source I know for hackintoshes is https://www.tonymacx86.com/. See in particular the motherboards and graphics cards he recommends.

#15 deancollins

deancollins

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2018 - 09:53 AM

Desktop can provide you a better performing since it has really good strong hardware, but for more convenience it's for sure to buy a laptop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users