Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

In consoles or desktop what is the meaning of "Created by"?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kyle25011193

kyle25011193

• Banned
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 07 July 2018 - 09:34 AM

In consoles or desktop what is the meaning of "Created by Ky Tabirao? Does it mean we own something?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,712 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 07 July 2018 - 05:30 PM

In general 'Created by XYZ' means that XYZ is claiming copyright in whatever it is, usually some work of original art - for a very wide value of 'art'. This is similar to the copyright symbol of a 'c' inside a circle -

©

I recently created a CD of my photos recording the building of a major bridge near where I live and I claim copyright in it.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 kyle25011193

kyle25011193
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 08 July 2018 - 09:14 AM

In general 'Created by XYZ' means that XYZ is claiming copyright in whatever it is, usually some work of original art - for a very wide value of 'art'. This is similar to the copyright symbol of a 'c' inside a circle -

©

I recently created a CD of my photos recording the building of a major bridge near where I live and I claim copyright in it.

Chris Cosgrove

So does it mean if i record an ps4 gameplays etc2 the meaning of created by is i own the video gameplays i created? it its an copyright claim?

Edited by kyle25011193, 08 July 2018 - 09:16 AM.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,712 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 09 July 2018 - 07:07 PM

That becomes a lot more complicated. But if you are recording this type of material purely for your own use then there should be no problem doing so. If you were to publish what you had recorded, especially commercially, then you might find yourself being sued.

This is similar to the use of a PVR. I am at perfect liberty to record a TV programme with the intent of watching it at a later time. There is I believe a virtually unenforceable restriction that I must watch and then delete the programme within a certain time period, at least in the UK. But just because I recorded it I do not have the right to go and publish this programme content for the benefit of others. As for example by producing a DVD and then selling it, or even giving it away.

However, you have asked virtually this identical question in slightly different versions several times now on BC. If you are seriously worried about some aspect of this type of recording then you need to go and consult a solcitor/advocate/lawyer - whatever is the relevant title - in your jurisdiction. This is after all a computer help forum, not a legal forum.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 09 July 2018 - 08:32 PM

In consoles or desktop what is the meaning of "Created by Ky Tabirao? Does it mean we own something?

Please supply a screen shot of what you're asking about.   I do not understand what you mean by, "in consoles or desktop."   

What are you seeing, and exactly where are you seeing it.

It could be as Chris Cosgrove describes, but context matters.   If I download an image from a website that includes the actual creator's watermark (the "Created by" or similar, usually at a corner of the image somewhere, but sometimes emblazoned across it) they retain copyright for that image, even though I have a duplicate of same that's legal for me to have for personal use.  The fact that I literally created the file in question during the save process does not make me the creator of the work itself.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users