Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hey all, looking for some advice...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ii311hive

ii311hive

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 06 July 2018 - 05:56 PM

Tried to delete my other post but not happening. So, I have been out of the game lately. I have been using a Cisco E1200 router with my current spectrum modem. I am having some problems with wireless connectivity. The modem is placed in my living room in my apartment. I can stream  netflix  real good with my tv in the living room, however I am having connection issues in my kids room. Again this is a 2 bedroom 1500 sq ft. apartment. I also have Another computer for my kids about 20 ft away that wont connect sometimes either. I bought this years ago. I am looking to upgrade but want to keep it under $100.  Thanks. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nunos

Nunos

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2018 - 06:13 PM

It would be good to know what frequencies are in use not only for your devices but in the neighborhood in range as well. For example I am on a 5GhZ frequency only at my house using 802.11AC because all of my devices support it so I don't need to try to crowd in on the 2.4GHz frequency and 802.11N which is crowded in my area. I use WiFi Commander to scan you may be able to find a version that works with your devices or something similar to test with then we can pick a nicer unit for you that will meet your needs. 

#3 ii311hive

ii311hive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2018 - 11:35 PM

I don't believe my router has the 5ghz option? What's WiFi commander?

#4 Nunos

Nunos

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2018 - 09:40 AM

5GHz is a newer frequency that has more channels so you can usually get less interference on it. As far as support we would want to know if all your devices support it not your old wap. 

WiFi Commander is a wireless analyzer that can check everything in your area to see what frequencies and channels are in use so you can pick a device and configure it to not interfere with the neighbors which in turn means better speeds for you and less disconnects.

I like the WAP150. https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/wireless/small-business-100-series-wireless-access-points/models-comparison.html

Edited by Nunos, 07 July 2018 - 09:47 AM.

#5 ii311hive

ii311hive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2018 - 04:10 PM

5GHz is a newer frequency that has more channels so you can usually get less interference on it. As far as support we would want to know if all your devices support it not your old wap. 

WiFi Commander is a wireless analyzer that can check everything in your area to see what frequencies and channels are in use so you can pick a device and configure it to not interfere with the neighbors which in turn means better speeds for you and less disconnects.

I like the WAP150. https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/wireless/small-business-100-series-wireless-access-points/models-comparison.html

Oh wow, that thing is more than what I want to spend on a router. Since I just want to buy a dual band router, dont you think that would be best?

#6 Nunos

Nunos

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2018 - 01:42 AM

Well the device I suggested is under 100 on amazon which I believe was your criteria. https://www.amazon.com/Cisco-WAP150-K9-NA-Wireless-Network/dp/B01BY83SO6

Also note this is not a router a router breaks up a broadcast domain. You should already have a router in your internet/modem so having a second one is not needed in most home networks. If you think about a request being made to the internet in your current scenario it first leaves your device and travels wirelessly to the wireless access point, then gets forwarded to switch port, then to the e1200 router, then the modem/router and out. In the scenario I proposed it would go from the device to the WAP wirelessly, then to the switched port of the modem/router then to the wan port of the modem router. That eliminates a hop in both directions for every packet.

#7 ii311hive

ii311hive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2018 - 12:14 PM

Well, that price I did not catch or see online so thanks for that. However, I noticed that my modem from spectrum model #DCP3216 Only has One lan port.The only reason I was trying to figure out what router to buy is because my e1200  has multiple lan ports. So, having said that I need the router to have at least 3 Lan ports.

Edited by ii311hive, 09 July 2018 - 12:15 PM.

#8 Nunos

Nunos

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:32 AM

You could get a small switch to add ports.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users