Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IP Camera's - Access from Internal and External using External Hostname

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mattbirk

mattbirk

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 06 July 2018 - 03:48 PM

Hi,

I have two IP Cameras (Not their real IPs):

IP Cam 1: 192.168.1.200

IP Cam 2: 192.168.1.201

I use No-IP to map my ISP IP to a static hostname.

I can access my cameras externally using the No-IP hostname, with no issue.

When I am on my local network, I cannot reach them using the No-IP hostname OR IP address of the ISP.

I can access them via their internal, private IP addresses 192.168.1.200/201 and their corresponding port numbers.

What am I missing? In the app I use I have each camera twice; once using the No-IP hostname, and once using the internal hostname, so it gives me access when I'm external or internal.

How can I only have each camera once, using the external hostname address? I am guessing there is some kind of routing issue, internally it cannot find the external hostname. Do I need to add some kind of DNS entry? I am running an Asus router, running Merlin.

Thanks,

Matt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sasschary

sasschary

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 850 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 07 July 2018 - 12:22 PM

Hi, Matt,

Your issue is, indeed, that you are trying to connect to your external IP while you are on the internal side of the network. This doesn't work. You can make an edit in your system's hosts file which will redirect the same NoIP domain to the internal IP rather than the external IP, but, be aware that if you then try and access the cameras from outside the network using the same domain, the computer will still try to use the internal IP, as the hosts file overrides what NoIP would resolve the domain to. So, this will work if you only ever use this computer internally, and then use other systems externally, but it will not work (unless you comment/uncomment the lines in the hosts file every time you move between internal and external connections) if you use this same device both internally to your network and externally.

Hope this was at least somewhat helpful.

Sasschary

#3 mattbirk

mattbirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 09 July 2018 - 03:45 PM

Thanks. Is there any type of configuration I could use where I only have to list each camera in the app once?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users