Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

my computer has no sound now-please help

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 silvergoose

silvergoose

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 06 July 2018 - 01:42 PM

My computer has no sound now after I reformatted .  I tried everything and still no sound. On sounds and audio device properties  it  shows  "NO  AUDIO DEVICE.  Please advise me what to do.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,445 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2018 - 03:02 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Sounds (sorry), like you need to install the drivers for your audio.  The no audio device message means the computer doesn't think it has something installed to handle audio.

#3 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 841 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 06 July 2018 - 04:11 PM

give us a make & model of your pc and we can help get what you need to download.

#4 silvergoose

silvergoose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2018 - 05:31 PM

It is a Dell Dimension 8200 series  with windows xp.  I posted a screen shot so you can see the box where it shows it actually has a driver and it says it is working.  Even though it shows this there is no sound.

Attached Files

#5 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,442 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2018 - 05:59 PM

Dell has a service tag number on it somewhere and if not enter the bios at startup pressing the F2  I believe and it is usually located under system information.

Once you have the service tag number the go to www.dellsupport and enter the service tag number and you should be able to download every driver you need.

Dell support link.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/4

Service tag.

dell-computer-help-desk-how-do-i-find-my

Edited by The-Toolman, 06 July 2018 - 07:31 PM.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#6 silvergoose

silvergoose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2018 - 04:24 AM

I did as you requested but when I type my service tag in there is a message no such number.  The number is correct as I looked many times to make sure  I typed what was on the computer.  Please  advise.

The service tag number is  CRSNL11

#7 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,442 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2018 - 11:57 AM

Did you get this from the bios screen or an actual tag on the case.

It may be that Dell is no longer supporting certain computers and if that is the case than you may have to search to find and oem dell audio driver for that desktop.

You may want to go to major geeks website and search for a driver for your computer more than likely it is a Sigmatel sound card.

Edited by The-Toolman, 07 July 2018 - 09:39 PM.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#8 silvergoose

silvergoose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2018 - 05:38 PM

The number is the actual number on the computer and the one I used for years when I needed help from Dell in the past.  This computer was made  in 2002.  I could have swore when I opened the computer up last  time I saw soundblaster somewhere on a card.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 07 July 2018 - 06:20 PM

When you look at the back of the computer do you see the audio jacks at the location of the three vertical plates in the image Toolman posted? If you have a separate add on audio card it would be the soundblaster, then you need this driver.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=R69382

If you have the audio jacks as part of the case, those would be the jacks shown at the far right in the image, you would need the integrated sound driver.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=R45973

Create a restore point before installing the driver.

#10 silvergoose

silvergoose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2018 - 03:30 AM

When you look at the back of the computer do you see the audio jacks at the location of the three vertical plates in the image Toolman posted? If you have a separate add on audio card it would be the soundblaster, then you need this driver.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=R69382

If you have the audio jacks as part of the case, those would be the jacks shown at the far right in the image, you would need the integrated sound driver.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=R45973

Create a restore point before installing the driver.

I downloaded the second link you posted because my audio jacks are way too the right on the photo.  I downloaded it though and let it install...rebooted the pc and still no sound  I still see in  audio properties  NO AUDIO  DEVICE.  So  I went to windows where the file was  unzipped to  and  tried to click the setup  file there and  I get a  message  saying  a  driver  not located. I am  so confused  now. Please   advise.  Also  I went to  SYSTEM  RESTORE  to go back to a previous  time  since  the download of the driver did not  work.  Should  I have   done  this?

Attached Files

Edited by silvergoose, 08 July 2018 - 03:31 AM.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2018 - 07:47 AM

What SP is this XP at? SP3? System Restore would not have caused a problem. It took you back to before you installed the driver.

Please open Device Manger and post a screenshot of the sound section expanded.

#12 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,442 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2018 - 11:07 AM

Hey JohnC_21,

It may be a Sound Max audio card.

https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_dimension_desktops/dimension-8200_user%27s%20guide_en-us.pdf

Analog Devices AD1885 AC97 Codec

Edited by The-Toolman, 08 July 2018 - 02:14 PM.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2018 - 11:21 AM

That spec sheet does show Analog Devices AD1885 AC97 Codec but I couldn't find a reference to Sound Max. The second link I posted from the Dell support site for the 8200 was for the Analog Devices AD1885 AC97 so I'm not sure why it did not work unless there is something specific to a Sound Max card.

If the OP does not show a sound device with a yellow exclamation mark in Device Manager I don't think any driver will work. Hopefully there is a device shown and then we can determine the Vendor and Device ID.

#14 silvergoose

silvergoose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2018 - 03:46 PM

What SP is this XP at? SP3? System Restore would not have caused a problem. It took you back to before you installed the driver.

Please open Device Manger and post a screenshot of the sound section expanded.

This system still has service pack 2.  Would this cause sound not to work?  I posted  a screenshot of device manager but I see no yellow boxes  in the sound section.  If it helps I can take the computer out the cabinet, open her up and take a photo of the sound card inside if it  helps?

Attached Files

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2018 - 04:01 PM

If I can remember some drivers will not install if SP3 is not detected. I would at least get your XP to SP3 first. SP3 may detect your card as it has additional drivers.

You can download SP3 from the Microsoft Update Catalog.

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=xp%20sp3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users