Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU Heatsink/Fan

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 TheresaK3

TheresaK3

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 06 July 2018 - 12:28 PM

Hello,

I have a M3970 AM HP Angelica motherboard and I need a new heatsink/fan.

My original is connected with 4 screws. I have searched but have only found ones that connected with a latch on the side.

I know it's an old computer but I can't afford a new one at this time.

Any help would be very appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2018 - 12:43 PM

Motherboard Specs.

CPU upgrade info indicates AMD processors.

I've had a number of AMD processors...and none of them eimployed screws to secure the fan/heatsink.  The latch on the side is standard for those CPUs.  HP may have modified that...since it is an OEM version of the MB...but I know nothing about OEM mods that could have been done.

Suggest you await more useful info from someone here at BC.

Louis

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,977 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 06 July 2018 - 01:07 PM

Hello,

I have a M3970 AM HP Angelica motherboard and I need a new heatsink/fan.

My original is connected with 4 screws. I have searched but have only found ones that connected with a latch on the side.

I know it's an old computer but I can't afford a new one at this time.

Any help would be very appreciated.

If you can share a photo of "the lay of the land" on your motherboard that might prove helpful.   Preferably two, one of the whole thing (or what's practical to get a photo of) and another of the heatsink/fan itself.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#4 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,436 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2018 - 01:23 PM

I also have not seen any oem AMD processor heat sinks that used used screws unless it was an oem custom build.

Is this a custom build oem from HP.

If the heat sink is attached to the motherboard with screws and you want to change the heat sink than you will have to change the processor bottom bracket plate which usually requires removing the motherboard from the case.

Once the bottom bracket plate is removed the new heat sink should come with one which allows the new heat sink to be mounted and secured to the motherboard.

Your motherboard based on info posted in your original post.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03117539

Edited by The-Toolman, 06 July 2018 - 02:15 PM.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#5 TheresaK3

TheresaK3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2018 - 10:05 AM

I've uploaded an image on photobucket but for some reason I still can't post the link here.

Anyway, my heat sink/fan HP P/N 644724-001

#6 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,436 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2018 - 10:43 AM

I've uploaded an image on photobucket but for some reason I still can't post the link here.

Anyway, my heat sink/fan HP P/N 644724-001

Is this your heat sink fan.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-644724-001-Pavilion-Heatsink-Fan-Socket-FM2/163073855012?epid=2254352370&

hash=item25f7f58e24:g:aGoAAOSwsldbD3av

I don't know how accurate the above ebay link is so it might be wise to check with HP website or HP forum to find out if this heat sink fan was actually installed on an AMD processor as an oem part.

Perhaps HP is trying to saving money and using an oem Intel heat sink fan for AMD processors and Intel processors which would explain the four holes in the motherboard around the processor socket.

Intel heat sink fan.

http://www.cwc-group.com/644724001.html

Edited by The-Toolman, 07 July 2018 - 12:21 PM.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#7 TheresaK3

TheresaK3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2018 - 12:26 PM

Yes, that is it. I thought it was strange that every time I did a search for the part Intel came up in the description.

#8 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,436 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2018 - 02:41 PM

I would think that most aftermarket AM3 heat sinks should work on that motherboard and more than likely you will have to remove the motherboard to replace the processor bottom bracket plate to a normal AMD setup.

If you aren't having any issues with the heat sink fan cooler you have I would leave it as it is.

OK if it ain't broke don't fix it.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2018 - 03:53 PM

A poster on the HP forums had an identical problem with an Angelica 2 motherboard. According to a shop an Intel heatsink would not work either.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Angelica2-AM3b-motherboard-has-Intel-LGA-CPU-fan-mount/td-p/6425458

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2018 - 04:34 PM

FWIW:  I believe that many of the aftermarket heatsink/fans...are neither specific to AMD nor Intel processors.  From what I saw the last 2 years when looking at heatsink/fans...most will include hardware for mounting both AMD and Intel CPUs.  That hardware will require mounting and accessing the underside of the MB.

Louis

#11 TheresaK3

TheresaK3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2018 - 09:20 AM

In June I bought this from Amazon but it didn't come with any instructions or mounting hardware.

41WcW3BOXrL._AC_SY400_.jpg

The description said it was compatible but I don't see how.

Do I need to buy additional items to get this in my computer?

My original is making some noise even after being cleaned, and new paste applied.

Edited by TheresaK3, 10 July 2018 - 08:51 AM.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2018 - 09:52 AM

That link is dead. From what I have googled, HP used intel mounting holes for a AMD processor but even then it does not use Intel's push button latches. Does you Heat Sink Fan screw into the motherboard? If it does screw into the motherboard then I would have to guess you have some kind of mounting bracket on the back side of the motherboard. What is the mounting dimensions of the fan? You many need to find an Intel HSF that has a screw type mounting if your HSF screws to the motherboard. And, you would need to find out what the thread size is of your HP HSF is. 

This person also had an issue.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2030144/motherboard-amd-socket-intel-fan-mount.html

#13 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 09 July 2018 - 06:24 PM

With an AMD retention holder, you can use a standard AMD heatsink, as long as the thermals are the same or better than your old one, They are cheap $7.00 new or you can get them in ebay too

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835119165

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2018 - 06:31 PM

JoeC, how does the retention holder attach to the motherboard with the screw spacing that the HP heatsink uses? From what I can tell the mounting hole spacing is square.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-644724-001-Pavilion-Heatsink-Fan-Socket-FM2/163073855012?epid=2254352370&hash=item25f7f58e24:g:aGoAAOSwsldbD3av

From the Toms Hardware link I posted you can see the fan mounting. I don't see how an AMD bracket would attach.

https://imgur.com/saQZqKw

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 July 2018 - 06:32 PM.

#15 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 09 July 2018 - 07:40 PM

I see. Possibly an 80 or a 92mm pwm fan can be installed on the existing heatsink?

I have an identical AMD fan (four screws square like an Intel) right next to me and the fan is held on with four screws on each corner, but can't know for sure without looking at the op's set up

Edit, after looking at your ebay link, that fan does have 4 screws holding it on the heatsink, I'm guessing it might be an 80mm pwm fan which could easily be replaced. No need to replace the entire heatsink, just pop a new fan on it

Edited by Joe C, 09 July 2018 - 07:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users