Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux mint getting offered AMD microcode update despite me using an intel PC

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 06 July 2018 - 11:11 AM

My computer has an intel i3 processor and I've been running linux mint from an external drive to which it is installed (persistent full install, not a live one). I checked updates today and saw

amd64-microcode (3.20180524.1~ubuntu0.14.04.2+really20130710.1) trusty-security; urgency=medium

why is this showing, I don't have an AMD processor? Should I hide it or what?

Thanks

Edited by rp88, 06 July 2018 - 11:11 AM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 06 July 2018 - 12:26 PM

Its probably related to the spectre/meltdown patch

Do you have the intel microcode installed?

Both are actually sort of mandatory right now even if you use a intel system the architecture is still referred to as amd64

Some of the microcode is shared especially for the spectre patches.

Edited by MadmanRB, 06 July 2018 - 12:27 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#3 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 08 July 2018 - 07:29 PM

I had an intel one quite a while back (maybe february ish), I haven't seen an intel one more recently.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#4 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 08 July 2018 - 08:56 PM

Wow thats strange I haven't once seen a Intel microcode update ever yet and I'm running kernel 3.13.0-139 on LM 17.2. :scratchhead:

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2018 - 03:48 AM

Both are actually sort of mandatory right now even if you use a intel system the architecture is still referred to as amd64

This! :)

For whatever reason, Intel has decided to 'go along' with the amd64 term. There should be other such files/folders when searching the C drive, may have to select to show hidden files. 

It's obvious when installing other 3rd party drivers also, example, wireless card (any brand). In the included software or any downloaded, there'll be a 32 bit or x86 folder & amd64. The amd64 driver folder will apply to both AMD & Intel 64 bit.  That's simply how it is, no less, no more.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2018 - 03:59 AM

Wow thats strange I haven't once seen a Intel microcode update ever yet and I'm running kernel 3.13.0-139 on LM 17.2. :scratchhead:

Being that Linux Mint 17 series will be reaching EOL in less than a year, if you've yet to receive any Microcode update, don't count on any now. :(

Have you manually checked the Driver Manager (sudo password required for access) to see if one's available? These, along with GPU drivers, won't be applied w/out using the Driver Manager app. While I've seen NVIDIA GPU drivers download via the normal update process, won't be officially installed until using Driver Manager for the upgrade. This doesn't apply to AMD drivers beginning with Mint 18, although can still access the fglrx drivers for Mint 17, to include any point releases, in this manner.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#7 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 09 July 2018 - 08:23 AM

This! :)

For whatever reason, Intel has decided to 'go along' with the amd64 term. There should be other such files/folders when searching the C drive, may have to select to show hidden files. 

It's obvious when installing other 3rd party drivers also, example, wireless card (any brand). In the included software or any downloaded, there'll be a 32 bit or x86 folder & amd64. The amd64 driver folder will apply to both AMD & Intel 64 bit.  That's simply how it is, no less, no more.

Cat

I believe Cat knows the answer to this as well as I do.

Quite simply, because AMD's Athlon64 was the first widely-available & commercially successful 64-bit CPU for the home market, the 'amd64' terminology has gone down in history rather than the Intel 'x86-64' one.....the more so, since Intel's 64-bit attempt with the Itanium had been such an unmitigated flop, only a scant couple of years earlier.

It's the one that will always be remembered.....from all of 14 years ago now. Everybody loves an underdog.....(at that point in time, a very apt description of Advanced Micro Devices.) They came from behind, and mashed the face of Intel's all-conquering Pentium 4 into the dust.

I'm using a first-generation Athlon64 X2 dual-core as I speak. For Puppy, it's a brilliant CPU.

The oldies are always the 'goodies'!

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 09 July 2018 - 09:23 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#8 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 09 July 2018 - 02:20 PM

Being that Linux Mint 17 series will be reaching EOL in less than a year, if you've yet to receive any Microcode update, don't count on any now. :(

Have you manually checked the Driver Manager (sudo password required for access) to see if one's available? These, along with GPU drivers, won't be applied w/out using the Driver Manager app. While I've seen NVIDIA GPU drivers download via the normal update process, won't be officially installed until using Driver Manager for the upgrade. This doesn't apply to AMD drivers beginning with Mint 18, although can still access the fglrx drivers for Mint 17, to include any point releases, in this manner.

Cat

I don't see any drivers for my Intel chip but I do see an update for my Nvidia GTX 760 it recommends version 384.130, Although I'm not sure if this is the latest driver for my GPU?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users