Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows security update created a protected file with cab archives?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 MolassesMan

MolassesMan

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 06 July 2018 - 08:10 AM

Was just doing a little cleanup today and I noticed a file with an alphanumeric string as the name, and it was protected. Upon opening it, it seems to correspond to the KB4041678 security only update. It contains cab archive files of the size of the update. However, its the only such file I have of this type, and no other security only update has created anything like this, so I was curious. Why was this file created and what is its purpose? 

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,725 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 06 July 2018 - 05:37 PM

Those are temporary files which normally get deleted after Windows update is completed, but leftovers like this happen.

You can use Disk Cleanup utility to delete them if you can't delete them normally.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users