Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

install win10 on a Vista machine?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mystic12

mystic12

• Members
  • 1,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 06 July 2018 - 07:54 AM

Hey guys, the owner of this HP IQ524 machine wants to install win10 but looking on HP's page for this machine's drivers, it's only showing vista and win7 options:

https://support.hp.com/ca-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-TouchSmart-Desktop-PC-series/3849079/model/3871945

If I were to try the win10 install, is there any way for me to know for sure if the motherboard drivers will work please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 06 July 2018 - 08:24 AM

I would not attempt installing Windows 10 on this computer.  Because HP does not supply any Windows10 drivers for your PC, and if you force the Upgrade, you will then be relegated to generic drivers that Microsoft supplies. While those MIGHT work, if any do not, then you're stuck with hardware that will not fully function, as the HP drivers needed for that hardware simply do not exist.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,563 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2018 - 09:16 AM

Yeah, that was what I was thinking too, appreciate it!

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,106 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2018 - 10:29 AM

If I were to try the win10 install, is there any way for me to know for sure if the motherboard drivers will work please?

No, but I don't see why it won't work.  It will be a risk that's for sure as dc3 has pointed out. 

I guess it is all down to how much the owner needs to have a modern OS on his computer.  If you are savvy you can still use Vista, but something supported would be best.  Windows 7 would be good and licenses are probably a dime a dozen at this time in history.

You cannot upgrade for free, or at all from Vista as far as I know.  So you will need to pay for a Windows 10 license.  You can check if the processor will work with THESE INSTRUCTIONS provided by dc3, but I suspect it will be fine.  How well it will run is another thing, if you don't mind slow than it's all good.  Also, it seems as though the Touch Screen may not work also.  I suspect you may have other issues also, so if you don't have repair skills it may not be worth your time.

I advise to test the Hard Drive before moving forward to make sure you are not wasting your time.  And probably install Windows 7 if that is possible, if not then Linux would work fine on that pc.  This will keep the pc from going to the recycle center, or worse to the dump.  If the HDD is bad, and the computer still looks to be in good shape you can get cheap old drives on newegg for like 20.00.

Edited by pcpunk, 06 July 2018 - 10:37 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 06 July 2018 - 10:59 AM

Personally, I wouldn't bother with a computer of this age.  If you wish to run Windows 10 I would suggest either building your own computer and install the operating system or purchase a new computer with Windows 10 already installed on it.  You could go through the process of making Windows 10 function, but it would probably be problematic and full of surprises that you won't enjoy.

One of the problems with computer this old is component failure/s.  The PSU and motherboard both use electrolytic capacitors which will eventually breakdown which will effect the overall performance of a computer.  If the mass storage unit is a hdd and was the original drive in this computer you should probably think about replacing this if you are going to use it.  The motherboard for this computer can only support 4GB of RAM.  Windows 10 will run on this, but it could be painfully slow with resource hungry applications.   There are other applications which would have problems running on this system or fail all together to run them.

Upgrading to Windows 7 is only a stop-gap.  Windows 7's support will end on January 14th 2020, that's less than a year away.  I wouldn't invest that much in a Windows operating system for a operating system which will no longer be supported in less than a year.  I would suggest installing either Windows 8.1 which can still be upgraded to Windows 10, or just install Windows 10.  For those reading this and are under the impression that Windows 8.1 can't be upgraded to Windows 10 you need to look at upgrading to Windows 10 using the Assistive Technologies upgrade which is still available and is free.

If your friend can afford it, I would sincerely suggest that they buy a new computer or build a new one.

Edited by dc3, 06 July 2018 - 11:00 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users