Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Drive Issues

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 csandeepk

csandeepk

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 05 July 2018 - 11:52 PM

Mod Edit:  Split from https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/616727/old-hdd-now-only-appears-as-system-reserved/page-2#entry4526242 - Hamluis.

Hi,

I'm sorry for your lost.

• Press windows8_key.png + X to access the Menu and click Disk Management
  • Expand the Disk Manager window to show all the blocks of the external drive
  • Post a screenshot of the window please

Hi,

I had the same problem, however the disk management was not showing any unallocated space. Below is the screenshot. 

I renamed the drive name to J from K, and the system reserved thing is not showing anymore. However I am still not able to use the drive. Attached is the screen shot after the renaming.

Please help.

Attached Files

Edited by hamluis, 06 July 2018 - 06:42 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 06 July 2018 - 07:52 AM

RAW indicates a bad partition table. Did Disk 1 at one time have an OS on it? I say this because of the System Reserved Partition. 

Is there data on the drive you need to recover?

The first thing I would do is see if a live linux disk can mount the drive.

Download Mint Cinnamon. Burn the iso to a DVD and boot. At the Mint Desktop click Computer. In the lower left pane you should see your disks. Click on the 298GB disk if listed and if linux can mount it a File Manager will open. Partitions in linux would be labeled sdx1...sdx2.  x would probably be b for disk 1.

You can copy and paste data between drives. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users