Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

M.2 SSD not recognized

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 AbnJoe173

AbnJoe173

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 06 July 2018 - 06:27 AM

Hello all! I purchased a ASUS Vivobook F510UA and a crucial mx500 SATA M.2 SSD. When I received the pc I followed these instructions from another customer on amazon: 

If you're planning to upgrade to an SSD drive and already have the SSD drive in hand, then do this to avoid the slow hard drive headaches:

1. Boot up the new laptop for the 1st time.
2. While activating Windows, DO NOT connect to your WiFi.
3. After Windows fully starts up, install disk cloning software (Macrium Reflect, Acronis, etc.) from a USB flash drive. You can't download the disk cloning software because you are not connected to WiFi.
4. Shut down the laptop, open it up, and install your SSD drive.
5. Turn on the laptop again. Use the disk cloning software to clone the hard drive onto your SSD drive.
6. Turn off the laptop. At this point you have a choice. You can either boot into the BIOS to set your new SSD drive as the default boot drive while keeping the old hard drive installed, or you can just remove the old hard drive to force the laptop to boot off the new SSD.
7. Turn on the laptop and admire how awesomely fast it starts up from the lightning quick SSD! :-)

8. Now you can finally connect to your WiFi network and let Windows download and install all it's updates and security patches.turned on the new pc and setup windows then shut off and installed the ssd, 

At step 5, I could not clone software because when I turned it back on and went into BIOS the SSD is not shown.  It is not shown in disk managment or anywhere else on the pc. What did I do wrong? 

I've only built one other pc, so I am very rookie at this. I would appreciate any input 

thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 06 July 2018 - 07:37 AM

The drive needs to be detected in UEFI before you can even begin the cloning process. There could be a number of reasons. I would make sure you connected the drive correctly. The SSD could be DOA.

According to Asus this PC should have had the SSD already installed. I would contact ASUS tech support if this is a new computer.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2018 - 08:10 AM

Appears to me that the SSD is optional for this system, not native.  Mulltiple versions.  The Amazon offering that I looked at comes with standard hard drive, See Here.

FWIW.

Louis

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2018 - 08:39 AM

Appears to me that the SSD is optional for this system, not native.  Mulltiple versions.  The Amazon offering that I looked at comes with standard hard drive, See Here.

FWIW.

Louis

Thanks Louis. I went back to the ASUS site and it said Up To. So that explains it. 

#5 AbnJoe173

AbnJoe173
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2018 - 11:11 AM

The drive needs to be detected in UEFI before you can even begin the cloning process. There could be a number of reasons. I would make sure you connected the drive correctly. The SSD could be DOA.

According to Asus this PC should have had the SSD already installed. I would contact ASUS tech support if this is a new computer.

It comes with a 1TB standard hard drive. It is a new computer and I did contact ASUS support, they were no help. They got back to me quickly and basically said they could not help with after market modifications. 

#6 AbnJoe173

AbnJoe173
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2018 - 11:16 AM

FWIW.

Louis

I followed your link, FWIW. I have already watched those videos and read through most of those forums. I have double checked the SSD is inserted correctly.  I have removed and reinstalled multiple times and still nothing is coming up in BIOS.  Do you think the SSD is the problem and I should return it? 

Thank you JohnC_21 and Louis for responding so quickly.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2018 - 11:24 AM

Yes, if you can return the SSD I would do so. Although, it's not possible to know if it's the SSD or the connection to the motherboard. If you purchase another SSD and the computer does not detect it in UEFI settings then I would say it's a problem with the computer. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users