Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lenovo Y580 charging problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 halocroft

halocroft

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 06 July 2018 - 05:16 AM

Hi,

I have huge problem which is driving me nuts. My laptop (Lenovo Y580) isn't charging well. It randomly disconnects AC adaptor. I'll try to discribe this situation in detail:

First time it was about 6 months ago. I was using my laptop without battery (i think i was playing Skyrim or something) and my laptop just turn off (immediately, just black screen and completly off at that point). I thought it was no big deal, so i powered up laptop again and enjoyed my gameplay. After few days it happened again. And it was happening often and often. Until my laptop started doing this even when i was using word or surfing the web or even wasn't doing anything. Then i plugged my battery in. What i realized, that my laptop just disconnect AC and at the front/bottom where the indication lights are, the solid white battery light (2nd from left) turns into blinking red/orange. So i plug off AC and stick it right back and laptop is charging again. But i can't do this everytime it happens, it is really frustrating and messes with laptop's performance.

Basically i can't use my laptop normaly. Somethimes it stays powered half of day without any faults (ofcourse i'm not talking about gaming, i forgot it long time ago), sometimes it disconnect charging 2-3 times per minute.

Here is what i tried to do:

-Clean everything inside my laptop (dust, dirt)

-Reinstall Windows

-Reapply thermal compound

-Power drain (when battery and AC isn't plugged and laptop is turned off, you hold power buttom for about 30 sec)

-Voltage check on AC adaptor

-Voltage check from AC jack to connection to motherboard

I can't find anything. So maybe someone encountered this problem or have a solution for this? I really need help :) Thank You :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 839 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 06 July 2018 - 10:55 AM

if you wiggle the cable where it enters the adapter at the end of it while it's plugged in does your charging light / charging icon change?

it could be the cable has been bent to hard and broke the wires inside.  or it could be the adapter itself is going bad.

how did you check the adapter?  you have to check it while it's plugged in to get a reading with a "load" on the power supply.  without a "load" the adapter will give you a good reading.

plugged in with a "load" on it, then you will see if voltages are actually pulled down enough to cause a problem.  a good supply will have the correct voltage while plugged in if good.

if it drops more then 2 volts then it's bad.  most of the time, when it's bad, you will see it drop from 19.5v to 12 or 13v and it will run a computer but won't charge.

#3 halocroft

halocroft
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 06 July 2018 - 11:02 AM

Well i checked it with a multimeter. everything looked good, while checking i was bending cable. But all the time my AC adapter stays at the same place untouched. So i don't really think it is adapters fault.

#4 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 839 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 06 July 2018 - 11:59 AM

again you checked it with no "load" and you will get false readings.  the only way to get a true reading is to plug it into the computer (obviously, the computer has to be disassembled) and then test voltages.  the reason for testing with a load is because capacitors going bad will fail with a load on it.  with no load a capacitor will show good because there is no current being pulled through it.

the reason I point you this way your description points towards a bad power supply.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users