Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Having problems with HP laptop turning on

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 cinque8

cinque8

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 06 July 2018 - 04:21 AM

Hello,

I have a HP 6515B laptop running Windows 7. I turned on my computer but the display never turned on. After a few minutes, I turned it off and back on again, but the display was dark. This went on for about an hour, when I took a look at the 4 lights on the front left of my laptop in front of the keyboard. The 2 most left lights were on, and they were blue. The 3rd light was off. And the 4th light was yellow. The icon on top of the yellow light was a disc, so I figured that the problem was my hard drive. So I turned off the computer, removed the hard drive, replaced it with another hard drive, and turned my computer back on. But the light was still yellow. So I turned my computer off and on for about 4 hours, and the display finally came back on. But when I turn my computer off, I have to turn it off and on about 20 times before the screen display turns on. Does anyone know what is causing this?

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 873 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 06 July 2018 - 10:58 AM

it's hard to say, could be a screen going bad or it could be a motherboard.

plug an external monitor into it and see if the monitor comes on everytime.  if it does then it's the screen, if it does the same as the monitor then it could be the motherboard.  slim chance it could be power supply related.

#3 cinque8

cinque8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2018 - 11:06 AM

Thanks for the information Mightywiz.

I am a newbie. I do not have a external monitor. If it is the motherboard, then I guess I am talking about getting a new computer

Thanks!

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2018 - 11:35 AM

I don't believe that we have enough information to determine that this is a problem with the motherboard at this point.

Try booting into Safe Mode and see if the screen works there.  If it does open the Device Manager and check the Display Adapters to see if there are any yellow colored warning icons or red colored error icons showing.  If there are double  click on the adapter, click on the Driver tab and uninstall the driver.  You will need to turn off the computer and then start it.  When Windows starts it will install a new driver to replace the one removed.

If you can boot into Safe Mode but the suggestion above doesn't work there are commands which can be run from the Elevated Command Prompt which may resolve this.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 cinque8

cinque8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2018 - 01:55 PM

Hi Bleeping Treehugger,

Thanks for the information!

I don't see any alerts in Display Adapter.

Thanks!

display.png

#6 donisonleague

donisonleague

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 08 July 2018 - 10:50 AM

Thanks for the information Mightywiz.

I am a newbie. I do not have a external monitor. If it is the motherboard, then I guess I am talking about getting a new computer

Thanks!

Maybe a TV or someone who could borrow you a monitor for a few minute? It would be really decisive to exclude the monitor

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2018 - 11:07 AM

Do you see the three yellow triangles with the exclamation mark in the middle?  Those are warnings that you have a graphics card, card reader, etc. driver which needs to be replaced.  You should be able to click on any of the three to see what these are.  Once you know what the device is you will know if this is a Windows driver which will be replaced after you uninstall the driver and then start the computer again.  If this is the graphics you will probably need to download a new driver from the manufacturer's website.

Please do the following to provide us with more information about the components in this computer.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

LUDoziL.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

speccy2.png

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy3.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 cinque8

cinque8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2018 - 02:57 AM

Hello DC3

Thank you for the very helpful information !

Speccy has shown my AMD cpu temp to be as high as 82 c

Thanks for the help

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/5MKGt4p15fCewJ106SnqI13

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2018 - 08:42 AM

Speccy has a tendency to occasionally throw temperatures out there which don't jive with the other temperatures being reported.  For this reason I'm less than inclined to take the temperature or 78C at face value.  I would suggest looking in the BIOS to see what is reported there, these readings are the most accurate you are going to find short of using expensive test gear.  If the CPU temperature is mirrored in the BIOS I would pay special attention to cleaning the heatsink and fan assembly on the CPU.  If this does not resolve this then you may need to replace the thermal compound between the CPU and the heatsink.

I am a little concerned about some of the HDD's S.M.A.R.T. attributes.  Specifically the Reallocation Event Count and the Current Pending Sector Count.  I would suggest running chkdsk /r.

Please run chkdsk /r if this is a HHD, or chkdsk /f if you are using a SSD.

To run chkdsk /r or /f you will need to open the Elevated Command Prompt.    

To open the Command Prompt as an Administrator please do the following.

Click/tap on the Taskbar Search icon (magnifing glass) and type cdm.

You will see Command Prompt under Best match, right click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.

Copy and paste the appropriate command below in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.

If this is a hdd use chkdsk /r.

If this is a ssd use chkdsk /f.

This will automatically start the chkdsk /f scan.

As the scan runs you will see a running percentage of the scan at the bottom of the scan.

There should be a short message when the scan ends, please post this message in your topic.

This will take a while to run, please be patient and allow it to complete the scan.  Do not stop this scan as this can damage your operating system.

Edited to add:

Please do the following.

Please run SeaTools for Windows

The download loads is a Zip-file, a program like WinZip will be needed to unzip this file.

Please download and run SeaTools for Windows

Before the installation begins you will be prompted to either Decline or Accept the terms of the installation, click on I Accept.

Once the installation of SeatTools for Windows begins you will see an image similar to the one below.

Cn0u1vP.png

1.  SeaTools for Windows will search for HDDs and SSDs on your computer.  Please remove any external storage devices connected via USB ports.

2.  Detected Drives will list the HDDs and SSDs found.  Place a check mark in the drive box you want to run the scan on.  This should be the drive that has the operating system installed on it, this is usually C: drive.

3.  You will see Basic Tests toolbar above Detected Drives, move the mouse pointer over this to open the test options.  Please click on Long Generic Test

4.  This will start the scan.  When the scan is complete you will see the result under Test Status , please post the results in your topic.

5.  The test will indicate either Pass or Fail.  Post the results of the scan in your topic.

irtNzsc.png

6.  Click on Help, then click on View Log File.  If the scan failed take a screen shot of the Log File and post it in your topic.

Edited by dc3, 10 July 2018 - 08:50 AM.

#10 cinque8

cinque8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:13 PM

Hello DC3

Thank you for all of the great information !

I ran chkdsk /r from my elevated command prompt.

I just happened to have a can of Blow Off Duster compressed air. I blew the air into the computer vent and a lot of dust came out.

I downloaded Sea Tools and ran the long generic test, but the test failed 3 times.

https://s5.postimg.cc/jbjymnb1z/failed.png

https://s5.postimg.cc/7bcaqz013/log_001.png

Also, I ran Speccy again, and it is showing somewhat cooler temps.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/WI64sZzkuuNTEj4RMtFeWBx

Thanks !

Jim

#11 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 955 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:45 PM

MaxDigital is an off brand that may have been made by other folks than Seagate and I'm a little surprised you found one in a name brand laptop.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:53 PM

The SeaTools scan can be trusted, if it indicates that the drive failed I would plan on purchasing another ssd / hdd.  I hope you have all of your important data backed up.

#13 cinque8

cinque8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 03:14 PM

DC3

I replaced my 300 GB HDD with a 500 GB HDD to have more free space.

I will put the old 300 GB HDD back in and run Sea Tools again, and see what happens.

#14 cinque8

cinque8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:22 PM

oops, I forgot that I am using my 300 GB HDD as a back up disc. I will order another disc in a few days and see if it passes the tests.

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:12 AM

You ran the chkdsk /r before running the SeaTools long generic test which should have reallocated any bad sectors which had readable data.  Having done this you ran the Seatools long generic test which failed.  I don't believe you are going to get any different results from running this test again.  The drive may continue to function for a while, but you can't count of this drive to keep your important data safe.  This drive could quit working entirely at any time.  I would suggest only running this drive only in order to backup any data you have not done so with yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users