Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 won't install Sp1

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#46 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,285 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 14 July 2018 - 01:52 PM

FWIW:  I (this morning) did a clean install of Windows 7 sans SP1 .. on a system.  I used a valid, licensed MS DVD to accomplish this.  Upon install finish, I went to Windows Update and one of the few updates listed was SP1.  I selected it, went through the reboot cycle and it installed some components.  I went back to Windows Update and then saw SP1 again listed...selected it, installed, rebooted.  All was good now for that area.

I then went back to Windows Update...deselected all criticial updates save the one for IE 11...installed it.

This system is now busy installing any other critical updates that appear via Windows Update, including the quarterly updates.

Louis

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#47 zap1974

zap1974
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 14 July 2018 - 03:00 PM

Thanks Hamluis,

Do you have any idea where I can upload a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit without Sp1? As I have a valid licence but not a copy of the disk. 

#48 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,285 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 14 July 2018 - 03:21 PM

No, I do not.  I believe in getting the DVDs for installing the current versions of Windows.

But...there seem to be a plethora of Win 7 DVDs available, all of which purport to allow reinstall of the O/S and cost less than $20.  Google Says....  If you have a valid license, such demand consideration, IMO.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 14 July 2018 - 03:31 PM.

#49 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 14 July 2018 - 03:40 PM

Personally, I would wipe the drive and reinstall Windows 7 SP1. If this was an OEM and you cloned the drive you might be able to set it back to a factory state if there was a factory reset partition intact. 

At any rate, I would back up your Activation Files using Advanced Tokens Manager. Download the program and unzip the file to a folder on your Windows 7 desktop. Run the program. You will see a key listed. Write that down for your install. Click Activation Backup and when completed the button will show as Activation Restore. Save the unzipped folder on the desktop to a flash drive. One you install Windows 7 copy the folder from the USB flash drive to the desktop of the new install. Click Activation Restore. No need to activate through Microsoft servers or use phone activation. This is only if you do not have a retail key for install.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikOykme9UkE

Once you have  a clean install, updates downloaded, and programs installed I would create a complete disk image to a USB external drive using one of the following programs. All allow you to create rescue media in the form of a DVD or USB flash drive. This allows you to restore the image on the USB external should the computer no longer boot to file system corruption or a failed drive. You are not cloning but creating a disk image. Multiple images can be backed up to the external drive. If your drive failed, boot the rescue media and restore the image from the USB external to the new drive. You would be back up in minutes with all updates, programs, and settings intact.

Macrium Reflect Free

Aomei Backupper Standard

Easeus Todo Backup

#50 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 14 July 2018 - 04:18 PM

Hi,

Hi i've run the tool and it says there is nothing wrong with the Windows Update as its running properly. I beleive I need to do a repair install as there must be files missing or another reason Sp1 won't install. As I stated I have a windows home premium 64 bit disk but it was Sp1 on it so it won't let me do a repair install. Is there anyplace you know out there I can download Home Premium 64 bit pre Sp1 to do a repair install? Other option is I will back up his data and start from strach unless you have any other options you suggestion I can try or those logs I've sent tell you anything why Sp1 won't install. I really appreciate all your time and help. 

The best tool to detect and help fixing problems in cases like this is SURT but in your case the tool doesn't work!

My last suggestion is to use the Tweaking tool because I notice some permission errors on the logs provided.

Download Windows Repair (All-in-One) Portable

• extract the tweaking.com_windows_repair_aio.zip to c:\Windows\TEMP the zip will extract to a folder called Tweaking.com - Windows Repair
  • execute the file Repair_Windows.exe from the Tweaking.com - Windows Repair folder, accept the Security warning and the EULA
  • click the button Jump To Repairs
  • click the Open Repairs button to access the following screen:
    WindowsRepair.png
  • click the box All Repairs to uncheck all the box's
  • check only the following box's:
    • 01 - Reset Registry Permissions
    • 02 - Reset File Permissions
    • 03 - Reset Service Permissions
    • 04 - Register System Files
    • 05 - Repair WMI
    • 10 - Remove Policies Set By Infections
    • 16 - Repair Windows Updates
    • 20 - Repair MSI (Windows Installer)
    • 25 - Restore Important Windows Services
    • 26 - Set Windows Services to Default Startup
  • check the box Restart/Shutdown System When Finished > Restart System
  • click the Start Repairs button

Note: Recent versions of the Tweaking tool suggest that the fixing should be done in Safe Mode, accept the prompt to reboot the system to that mode or boot manually to Safe Mode and then run the tool.

Edited by SleepyDude, 14 July 2018 - 04:21 PM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#51 zap1974

zap1974
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2018 - 10:42 PM

Hi I just wanted to follow up. That didn't work either so I tried an upgrade to Widows 10 and that seemed to install no problem and take all the updates so I'm going to leave the machine as that. That's for all the help. 

#52 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2018 - 03:05 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the update. Is Windows 10 activated?

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#53 zap1974

zap1974
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2018 - 03:18 AM

Yes its activated and so far seems fine. All the updates took.

#54 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2018 - 03:44 AM

Strange Microsoft supposedly stop offering the free upgrade to Windows 10... or maybe that was done before on the machine and then reverted to the old Windows 7 installation.

___
Rui

#55 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 17 July 2018 - 07:25 AM

Strange Microsoft supposedly stop offering the free upgrade to Windows 10... or maybe that was done before on the machine and then reverted to the old Windows 7 installation.

Microsoft, even thought they say the free offer had ended, will still upgrade and activate Windows 7 and 8 computers for free.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users