Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 won't install Sp1

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 zap1974

zap1974

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 05 July 2018 - 11:50 PM

My Windows 7 home won't install Sp1. Everytime I try I get the following error:

Error:Error_sxs_componet_store_corrupt (0X80073712)

a scan with another program stated the exact error was:

WARNING: Manifest damage on component "amd64_microsoft-windows-capi2-certs_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16784_none_1e82b42cadd77b7d". See CBS logfile for more details.

Any help on how I can fix this to get Sp1 to install would be greatly appreciate. 

Thanks. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 06 July 2018 - 06:39 AM

Worth A Look.

Louis

#3 zap1974

zap1974
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2018 - 10:39 AM

Hi thanks for that. Yes sfc comes back with corrupt files so I'm sure I need to do a repair on the file system. Only issue is I don't have a disk with the system.

I have a Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit disk with Sp1 but when I try to run a repair with that it won't work as it says I don't have sp1 installed.

Is there a way I can run a system file check with this disk to repair the corrupt files another way or is there a link where I can download a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit without Sp1 to do the repair as I have the Microsoft licence key.  

Or any other option to correct this error to get Sp1 to install.

Thanks.

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 07 July 2018 - 09:09 AM

Hi,

I can help you fixing the corrupted file but if the component store is really corrupt then the case is complicated...

Retrieve the Components Hive

• Navigate to C:\Windows\System32\Config and locate the COMPONENTS file
  • Please copy the COMPONENTS file to your desktop
    Note: If you receive an error that this file is in-use, simply reboot your computer and try again
  • Right-click on this file on your Desktop and select Send To...Compressed (zipped) folder. This will create a file named COMPONENTS.ZIP on your Desktop
  • If file will is too large to upload to the forum please share the file using a service like Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, or upload to www.sendspace.com and just provide the link for the file here

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#5 zap1974

zap1974
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2018 - 01:06 AM

Thanks for the help. Please find attached the file. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ugjFEa709QYCMd16BCwhvdvhbeqZ3hNG/view?usp=sharing

#6 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,084 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2018 - 06:15 AM

Hi,

At first look I didn't see any obvious corruption on the component store...

Export the CBS folder

• Click the Start button Win7Orb.gif then click Computer.
  • Double-click on the C: drive, under the Hard Disk Drives category, and then scroll down to, and double click on the Windows folder.
  • Find and double click on the Logs folder.
  • Right-click on the CBS folder, and select Copy.
  • Go back to your Desktop, right-click on it, and select Paste. You should now see a copy of the CBS folder appear on your Desktop called CBS.
  • Right-click on this new folder, and navigate through Send to, and select Compressed (zipped) folder.
  • A new file, also called CBS (CBS.zip), but this time with a different icon, will be created.
  • Attach this to your next post please, if the file is too big please upload the file to a service like Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive or upload to SendSpace and just provide the link for the file here.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#7 zap1974

zap1974
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2018 - 04:50 PM

Here is the CBS file

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1SAzv1qtayuNhd02q-HC2EJSXa-bH1uQY

#8 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,084 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2018 - 03:48 AM

Hi,

Lets do some fixing...

SFCFix Script

!!! WARNING !!! The following fix is only relevant for this system and no other, applying this fix on another computer will not work and most likely will cause problems...

• Download SFCFix.exe (by Niemiro) and save it to the Desktop
  • Download the file SFCFIX.ZIP, attached below, and save this to your Desktop
  • On your Desktop, make sure you have the two files: myjIXnC.pngSFCFix.exe and sfpcJCen14An3ndjNGCI7mByhjHJud.pngSFCFIX.zip
  • Drag the file SFCFIX.zip onto the file SFCFix.exe and release it
  • The SFCFix tool will process the script
  • Upon completion, a log file SFCFix.txt should be created on your Desktop
  • Open the SFCFix.txt log and copy & paste the contents to your post

Attached Files

___
Rui

#9 zap1974

zap1974
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2018 - 12:01 PM

SFCFix version 3.0.0.0 by niemiro.
Start time: 2018-07-09 10:59:24.697
Microsoft Windows 7  - amd64
Using .zip script file at C:\Users\Pietro\Desktop\SFCFix.zip [0]

PowerCopy::
Successfully took permissions for file or folder C:\Windows\Temp\CheckSur\Winsxs\Manifests

Successfully copied file C:\Users\Pietro\AppData\Local\niemiro\Archive\Winsxs\Manifests\amd64_microsoft-windows-capi2-certs_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16784_none_1e82b42cadd77b7d.manifest to C:\Windows\Temp\CheckSur\Winsxs\Manifests\amd64_microsoft-windows-capi2-certs_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16784_none_1e82b42cadd77b7d.manifest.
Successfully copied file C:\Users\Pietro\AppData\Local\niemiro\Archive\Winsxs\Manifests\amd64_microsoft-windows-capi2-certs_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.20928_none_1f51338dc6c0d624.manifest to C:\Windows\Temp\CheckSur\Winsxs\Manifests\amd64_microsoft-windows-capi2-certs_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.20928_none_1f51338dc6c0d624.manifest.
Successfully copied file C:\Users\Pietro\AppData\Local\niemiro\Archive\Winsxs\Manifests\x86_microsoft-windows-capi2-certs_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.20928_none_c332980a0e6364ee.manifest to C:\Windows\Temp\CheckSur\Winsxs\Manifests\x86_microsoft-windows-capi2-certs_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.20928_none_c332980a0e6364ee.manifest.

Successfully restored ownership for C:\Windows\Temp\CheckSur\Winsxs\Manifests
Successfully restored permissions on C:\Windows\Temp\CheckSur\Winsxs\Manifests
PowerCopy:: directive completed successfully.

Successfully processed all directives.
SFCFix version 3.0.0.0 by niemiro has completed.
Currently storing 1 datablocks.
Finish time: 2018-07-09 10:59:25.397
Script hash: bklW9BIcY4UAIVs9UfbSiESw7arPm1tCYaBA87HcTRU=
----------------------EOF-----------------------

#10 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,084 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2018 - 12:38 PM

System Update Readiness Tool (SUR)

• Download the System Update Readiness Tool (x64) and save it to some place, its a big download and eventually we need to run it several times, please keep the file
  • Run the tool. Its like an Update but it can take a long time to do the work. You will get an Installation Complete screen when it's done running
  • Please attach to your post the log from the following location: C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log
    Note:
    If the file is too big please Zip it and upload the ZIP file to a service like Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive or upload to SendSpace and just provide the link for the file here.

___
Rui

#11 zap1974

zap1974
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2018 - 02:35 PM

Hi I ran the tool and the update failed. I don't have a checkSUR.log in the CBS folder only these ones ive attached. 

Attached Files

#12 zap1974

zap1974
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2018 - 02:44 PM

And sorry you might have meant all the CBS files. So here is the link

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Nbjp_d7ZZNMDnZ0uVnykROfjoxAamhmO

#13 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,084 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2018 - 02:53 PM

Hi,

The KB947821 (SUR) failed to run?

___
Rui

#14 zap1974

zap1974
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2018 - 03:35 PM

No its downloaded and attempted to install but the installation failed. 

So said the following updates were not installed Hotfix for Windows KB947821 

#15 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,084 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2018 - 03:55 PM

• open the Command Prompt as Administrator (Tutorial)
  • type the command:
    chkdsk /r /x C:
    Note: When it ask if you want to checked the volume next time the system restarts answer Yes
  • Restart the Computer and let the check run during boot, it may take a long time...

Next,

• download ListChkdskResult
  • execute the file and accept all the windows prompts to authorize the program to run
  • Notepad will open with a report showing the chkdsk result
  • copy & paste the log to your reply

___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users