Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Would adding more RAM speed up my computer ?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 inkoalawetrust

inkoalawetrust

• Members
  • 320 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 05 July 2018 - 10:49 PM

I want to add more RAM on my PC and im wondering if it'll actually make it faster.

I want to use the ram so i can run Chrome faster and open programs faster and run a game i got a few days ago faster and with less graphical glitches.

Specifically i want more RAM so i can run the game faster since i have to turn all graphical settings off and set the graphics to "Fastest" on the launcher and even that is not enough for it to not use all my memory and STILL run slowly with alot of the textures and models looking like a mess of colors.

I have checked the task manager while running the game and the only thing it really seems to need most of the time is more memory since resource usage is almost always 4-13% CPU and 90%+ RAM when i open the game.

Here are my device specifications.

(And no i can't just buy a new computer when i have almost no money so don't tell me that.)

Twitter

Discord:inkoalawetrust#9783

Website

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,315 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 05 July 2018 - 11:11 PM

It couldn't hurt, that's for sure.

Since you are running a 32-bit version of Windows 7 Pro the maximum RAM you can have installed is 4 GB, so another 2 GB stick (and I presume you have an open slot) should be dirt cheap.

The above being said, there are limits to what you can expect in terms of performance on a system using a CPU that is only a few months short of 10 years from its date of introduction.  You are not going to get "a miracle" here.  You would have to try installing the memory to see just what kind of a boost you get.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#3 inkoalawetrust

inkoalawetrust
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 320 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2018 - 11:43 PM

It couldn't hurt, that's for sure.

Since you are running a 32-bit version of Windows 7 Pro the maximum RAM you can have installed is 4 GB, so another 2 GB stick (and I presume you have an open slot) should be dirt cheap.

The above being said, there are limits to what you can expect in terms of performance on a system using a CPU that is only a few months short of 10 years from its date of introduction.  You are not going to get "a miracle" here.  You would have to try installing the memory to see just what kind of a boost you get.

Well thankfully a found a online store where i can get DRR2 RAM for a reasonable price that isn't that expensive even for me so depending on whether or not i can actually open the case i'll be able to install it and see what happens.

Edited by inkoalawetrust, 05 July 2018 - 11:44 PM.

Twitter

Website

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,315 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2018 - 09:08 AM

Getting the case of a desktop is typically a piece of cake, even if it's one of the types where you have to take a bunch of screws out of the back side to lift the entire case "skin" off.

Good luck!

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,279 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2018 - 10:43 AM

The only other thing to do is to add a SSD but thats very questionable considering your motherboard seems to only have 2 SATA ports.

I take it this is a small form factor PC?

Like a slim model or non tower type of PC?

In any case this does limit you, while improvising space for a SSD is possible on nearly any form factor you will have to sacrifice a SATA port to the SSD such as the hard drive as its old anyhow and you have limited space as it is.

Edited by MadmanRB, 06 July 2018 - 10:47 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 06 July 2018 - 12:09 PM

Since you're running a 32-bit version of Windows you're stuck with a 4GB maximum as britechguy already stated.  From the Speccy report you have three open RAM banks, so adding another 2GB will be the best you can do, without upgrading your Windows to a 64-bit version.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,315 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2018 - 12:16 PM

Kilroy,

Where is that information found?   I'm somehow looking past it, and I just didn't see it when I did a quick scan through the Speccy Snapshot.

I cannot recall, but you may know, are you able to upgrade from 32 to 64-bit Windows 7 at no cost?   I know under Windows 10 you can if you have hardware that started out with a 32-bit OS but is 64-bit hardware.  Of course, to do this, you must do a completely clean install of Windows 10, and I'd imagine you'd have to do the same thing in regard to Windows 7, too.

~ Brian Vogel

#8 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 06 July 2018 - 01:10 PM

The information for the RAM is after the OS and CPU, maybe an 1/8 of the way from the bottom.Pp9uKOY.png

I don't believe you can upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit without a cost and if you have to pay it would probably be better to put that towards a new machine.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,315 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2018 - 04:58 PM

The information for the RAM is after the OS and CPU, maybe an 1/8 of the way from the bottom.Pp9uKOY.png

I don't believe you can upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit without a cost and if you have to pay it would probably be better to put that towards a new machine.

I absolutely agree that any expenditure of any significance at this juncture would be far better spent acquiring replacement hardware.  Even 5 year old hardware is light years ahead of what's being discussed here.  My machines with AMD A6 and A8 APUs, which were no high end processors when brand new, would blow the doors off an Intel Pentium E5300

~ Brian Vogel

#10 inkoalawetrust

inkoalawetrust
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 320 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2018 - 05:21 AM

The only other thing to do is to add a SSD but thats very questionable considering your motherboard seems to only have 2 SATA ports.

I take it this is a small form factor PC?

Like a slim model or non tower type of PC?

In any case this does limit you, while improvising space for a SSD is possible on nearly any form factor you will have to sacrifice a SATA port to the SSD such as the hard drive as its old anyhow and you have limited space as it is.

I can't afford anything else besides the memory. Also yes i am using the one with the SFF.

I can't even afford a bag of chips so im never going to be able to afford anything more expensive than 5-10 euros otherwise i wouldn't be using this garbage.

I absolutely agree that any expenditure of any significance at this juncture would be far better spent acquiring replacement hardware.  Even 5 year old hardware is light years ahead of what's being discussed here.  My machines with AMD A6 and A8 APUs, which were no high end processors when brand new, would blow the doors off an Intel Pentium E5300

The cheapest i can get an AMD A6 for is 43 euros so unless i sell half the room im on im not going to be able to afford that.

Also i think the Power Supply was literally on top of half the RAM slots so i wouldn't be able to add more ram even if i tried unless i want to electrecute myself to death and/or break the only only computer i own besides my equally bad phone.

Also can you stop mentioning how bad my computer is i already feel terrible and on the verge of crying this is just making it worse.

Twitter

Website

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,315 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2018 - 10:20 AM

Also can you stop mentioning how bad my computer is i already feel terrible and on the verge of crying this is just making it worse.

We have offered you quite a bit of help.   If you want to cry that's entirely not our fault.

~ Brian Vogel

#12 inkoalawetrust

inkoalawetrust
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 320 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2018 - 11:36 AM

We have offered you quite a bit of help.   If you want to cry that's entirely not our fault.

Ok then.

Close this thread since it has been answered.

Twitter

Website

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users