Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC randomly shuts down and goes into restart loop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bassquake

Bassquake

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 05 July 2018 - 02:01 PM

Here's what happens:

• Recently started to randomly shut down and restart with no warning (no windows logs).
  • Upon reboot, a few seconds later before gets to bios, it would restart again.
  • Have to turn off at mains switch to shut it down as it just loops on restarting.
  • On bootup after forcing turn off at mains, it tends to work again until next time it happens, which can be 5 mins after boot or an hour. Had it on overnight running benchmarks fine once.
  • It rebooted once while I was in BIOS so it's not a windows issue.

I have done the following:

• Ruled out ram and ram slots as swapped them around, or in one slot at a time.
  • Cleaned ram contacts with isoprophyl.
  • Plugged PC into a different wall socket.
  • Unplugged any external devices.
  • Tried using old drive with win7, same thing happens.
  • Vacuumed PSU for dust, no dust on mobo.
  • Fans are all working.
  • Did a bios reset.

Does anyone have any ideas? Any other things I can try to rule out?

Could it be faulty PSU or CPU? Mobo battery maybe?

Specs:

• Gigabyte x58a-UDR3
  • 18GB 1600Hz Kingston Ram
  • GTX-480 1.5GB
  • m.2 PCI-E adapter with Samsing 960 m.2
  • i7 950

Had this PC since 2012 and its in the last couple of months started having this issue. It first started soon after I replaced my SSD with an m.2. But I've ruled that out as it does it with the old drive.

Any help appreciated thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 05 July 2018 - 02:45 PM

I would start looking at for bloated / swollen capacitors on the motherboard and also if available trying a different power supply with a known good one.

https://www.badcaps.net/index.php

http://www.punj.co.uk/punjwebfiles/electronics/mbbadcap.html

Bloated swollen top bad capacitor.

badcap.jpg

Flat top good capacitor.

goodcap.jpg

Edited by The-Toolman, 05 July 2018 - 02:49 PM.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#3 Bassquake

Bassquake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 05 July 2018 - 02:51 PM

Hi The-Toolman. I've already checked for bad caps. It doesn't have those kind of caps anyway, they're of the Japanese solid capacitors design. Worth a check anyway thanks.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-X58A-UD3R-rev-20#ov

#4 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 05 July 2018 - 08:53 PM

I would unplug all power supply cables to the motherboard and then plug them back in to make certain there isn't a flaky connection with one of the connectors.

I would suspect a failing power supply / failed power supply being it's 6 years old and you have to shut it down by a hard power off.

Best way to check the power supply is with a known working power supply if available.

If you are using a surge protector or battery backup I would check and make sure they are supplying the right output voltage although unlikely to be the cause but still a possibility.

There is also a chance it's a motherboard gone bad.

Edited by The-Toolman, 05 July 2018 - 09:06 PM.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users