Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cortana Using Excessive Amounts of CPU, Memory, and Network Causing Slowdowns

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Volans

Volans

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 05 July 2018 - 12:59 PM

Hello,

So I come here from Microsoft Support because, I mean, when has Microsoft support ever succeeded in fixing a problem? Cortana for some reason is using WAY too much of my CPU, Memory, and Network. I use to be able to game with 50-80 ping on average. Now, it's upwards of 600-800 on average. I need help. I've reset Cortana, ended the task in task manager, editted my registry to supposedly disable Cortana, with no avail. Please help. Thanks.

Edited by Volans, 05 July 2018 - 01:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 05 July 2018 - 09:54 PM

Are you running pro or home edition of Windows?

#3 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 926 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 05 July 2018 - 11:24 PM

Hi, important that you tell us what you did in the registry to disable Cortana, where did you get the information on how to do this?

We need more info (will also answer mason's question)

Go to search and type;- command prompt, right click on the returned command prompt and select "run as administrator", an elevated cmd prompt will open. Please copy and paste ALL the below cmd into the cmd prompt window, press enter:-

echo > 0 & systeminfo | find /V /I "hotfix" | find /V "KB" >> 0 & WMIC /Node:localhost /Namespace:\\root\SecurityCenter2 Path AntiVirusProduct Get displayName /format:list >> 0 & wmic PATH Win32_VideoController GET Description,PNPDeviceID /format:list >> 0 & tasklist /v >> 0 & net start >> 0 & echo >> 0 & notepad 0

Please use the  "more reply options" to attach the notepad output here.

#4 Volans

Volans
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2018 - 11:37 PM

To answer Mason's question: Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.1). I was running Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.112) as of 7/4/18, but I rolled back my OS update in hopes that this would resolve the issue, which it did not. As for where I got the information on how to disable Cortana in my registry, I got the information from here. There are multiple websites around that offer the same guidelines. The supposed disabling of Cortana in the registry has done nothing either. The notepad should be included.

Attached Files

• Attached File  0.txt   40.42KB   2 downloads

Edited by Volans, 05 July 2018 - 11:41 PM.

#5 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 926 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2018 - 01:22 AM

Hi, well mason asked if you were running home or pro. It appears you have home, so no group policy editor.

What do you want to do, get rid of Cortana? I don't use it myself and have completely removed it, so it doesn't come back even after a feature update.

It might be a problem with a third party process I would try a clean boot, and see if the problem continues.

I don't see the errant usage from the info I had you post, so please when the problem persists show us the process from task manager OR run this cmd (both would help) Cmd as admin (as shown), copy paste & attach as per previous post.

wmic process get Caption, CommandLine, Handle, HandleCount, PageFaults, PageFileUsage, ParentProcessId, ProcessId, ThreadCount /format:List > 0 & notepad 0

​You need a bit more then the one reg mod(firewall rules have to be tweaked, and to avoid event viewer errors and the process rebirth you need to rename it, this is a bit tricky, you have to be quick, also need to mod registry permissions to be totally rid of this, I would not trust anyone other then an expert to do this.

Also from a cmd prompt copy and paste this cmd:-

reg query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search" > 0 & notepad 0

Post the notepad output here (just copy paste into your reply) this will show if you added the one reg mod properly (it is a correct mod).

#6 Volans

Volans
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2018 - 10:10 PM

Jenae,

Yeah sorry, I misread what he was asking for, but yes it is Windows 10 Home.

My goal is to either fix Cortana so it doesn't use so much of my network, CPU, and memory, or worst case scenario, completely get rid of it so I won't have to deal with this issue, or any other issues that may occur, again.

I will perform a clean boot after I make this post and I will edit this post with the results.

Below is the notepad file you asked me to post. The only thing you will see with the Task Manager is that Cortana is using 0.1% of my network, ~1% of my CPU, and ~1.6% of my memory, which has never occurred before. The 0.1% of network usage might seem neglectable, but for some reason it's causing extreme network slowdowns where as, as soon as it drops to 0%, the slowdowns cease.

When you say more than one reg line, what exactly do you mean? As I've said, completely removing Cortana is a last resort. If we can solve the issue without completely removing Cortana, that would be prefered.

Here's the second command output you were looking for:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search
    AllowCortana    REG_DWORD    0x0

Attached Files

• Attached File  1.txt   80.98KB   1 downloads

Edited by Volans, 06 July 2018 - 10:11 PM.

#7 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 926 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2018 - 10:21 PM

Hi, how long have you had advanced system care on your computer?

#8 Volans

Volans
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2018 - 10:37 PM

Hi, how long have you had advanced system care on your computer?

I just performed a clean boot. Nothing changed. I've had Advanced System Care for around 2 years.

#9 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 926 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2018 - 01:04 AM

Hi, advanced system care is anything but advanced, it is coding rubbish and most likely has impeded your computing experience for some time. I could not think of a better third party util if your intention was to ruin your computer. If it was possible to produce a repair and maintenance util that actually worked we would have done so ourselves years ago. All the needed maintenance a windows ten machine needs is contained within windows ten itself.

The damage now would be done, I cannot help you, I suggest you back up your data and perform a fresh clean install of win 10. If you have any issues ask here before you plow in, it will improve your computing experience and we love to help.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,823 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 07 July 2018 - 08:30 AM

If it was possible to produce a repair and maintenance util that actually worked we would have done so ourselves years ago. 

:thumbup2:  I don't know how many times I posted this. 

#11 Volans

Volans
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2018 - 12:02 PM

Hi, advanced system care is anything but advanced, it is coding rubbish and most likely has impeded your computing experience for some time. I could not think of a better third party util if your intention was to ruin your computer. If it was possible to produce a repair and maintenance util that actually worked we would have done so ourselves years ago. All the needed maintenance a windows ten machine needs is contained within windows ten itself.

The damage now would be done, I cannot help you, I suggest you back up your data and perform a fresh clean install of win 10. If you have any issues ask here before you plow in, it will improve your computing experience and we love to help.

Do I specifically have to Clean Install, or can I just do Windows' Reset This PC?

#12 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 07 July 2018 - 12:27 PM

Jenae said you need to do a clean install (probably best) you will of course, have to back up all your programs and data that you want to keep before doing so. If you want to try to save your operating system without re-formatting, you can try a repair install, although, it may not work. Completely delete the program "advanced system care" before trying this. Here is a video on how to do a repair install. It might work, but...it might not. 

#13 Volans

Volans
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2018 - 03:41 PM

Jenae said you need to do a clean install (probably best) you will of course, have to back up all your programs and data that you want to keep before doing so. If you want to try to save your operating system without re-formatting, you can try a repair install, although, it may not work. Completely delete the program "advanced system care" before trying this. Here is a video on how to do a repair install. It might work, but...it might not. 

It's been removed, and everything related to it has been sniffed out and deleted. The reason I ask if I could just do a PC Reset is because it does basically the same thing, but it's more user friendly.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,823 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 07 July 2018 - 04:45 PM

I would wait for a response from jenae, but personally, I believe a reset with the option to keep your files is sufficient.I may be wrong on this though.  If you save any of your files outside of the USERS directory those will be gone. This happened to a poster here at BC. They actually saved files in the programs folder. Those were gone after a reset. As you know, all programs will need to be reinstalled.

Windows 10 Reset

In Windows 10, you can use Reset to restore the operating system on your PC by reinstalling Windows. This lets you restore Windows without using a separate recovery image (usually on a DVD or USB thumb drive) that contains a backup copy of all system files. Reset restores the PC by reinstalling the original system configuration and then applying Windows updates to get it to the last major update

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49975

If a clean install is required I would recommend you use one of the following programs to create a complete disk image to a USB external drive. Disk Images would be taken depending on updates and programs installed. All allow you to create a rescue CD or USB flash drive allowing you to recover the image from the USB external hard drive should the computer no longer boot to Windows because of file corruption, malware, or a failed drive. For example, if you had a failed drive, you would install a new unformatted drive, boot the rescue media, and recover the image from the external drive. You would be back up in minutes with all programs and settings intact. The programs allow you to mount the image as a virtual drive. This lets you copy a file out of the image should you need it. These programs can save you if you get Ransomware after completing your image. 

Macrium Free

Aomei Backupper Standard

Easeus Todo Backupper

Aomei and Easeus allow you to also do file/folder backups on a schedule.

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 July 2018 - 04:59 PM.

#15 Volans

Volans
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2018 - 04:53 PM

I would wait for a response from jenae, but personally, I believe a reset with the option to keep your files is sufficient. If you save any of your files outside of the USERS directory those will be gone. This happened to a poster here at BC. They actually save files in the programs folder. Those were gone after a reset. As you know, all programs will need to be reinstalled.

Okay. I'll wait to hear back. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users