Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot access properties of drives or folders

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jamesthebud

jamesthebud

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 05 July 2018 - 10:22 AM

On my pc with Windows 10 I cannot now access the properties of the drives or folders, but can still access  the properties of files.

When I right-click on a drive I get the message: "The properties for this item are not available".

When I right-click on a folder the properties pop-up comes up but the only tabs on it are "General" and "Previous Versions".

This happens on both the C drive and other drives. In addition, inside a folder the right-click context menu is abnormal, with no new folder or new file options.

The event viewer doesn't pull up anything.

I have reverted the C drive to a previous time using EaseUS backup, and everything works okay for a time, and then after a time, the same thing happens again, without any obvious trigger. I have done this several times, and I am at the tearing my hair out stage. If anyone can shed some light on this, I would be most grateful.

----------------------

Found a solution - I went to another pc running Win 10, and in regedit I exported the shellex keys for Drive, Directory, and Folder, and imported them onto my own pc, and now it is working OK. But I still don't know what corrupted the registry in the first place.

Attached Files

Edited by jamesthebud, 05 July 2018 - 11:56 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 06 July 2018 - 08:31 AM

Please run System File Checker.

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Important:  There will be a short message at the end of the scan informing you of the results.  If you receive the message "no integrity violations were found" you don't need to do anything else, no corrupt files were found.  You should watch the scan to see the results at the end of the scan.

This needs to be run using an Administrator account.  

Click/tap on the Search icon (magnifying glass) in the Taskbar and type cmd.

PLrbrFc.png

You will see Command Prompt under Best match, right click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.

Copy and paste the command below in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.

sfc /scannow

This scan will take a while to run, please do not abort the scan as this can result in damage to the operating system.

If integrity issues are found in the scan please post the CBS log using the instructions below.

To find sfc /scannow log open the Command Prompt, copy and paste the command below, then press Enter.

copy %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log %userprofile%\Desktop\cbs.txt

This will place the log on your desktop.  Copy and paste the log at the host website I've suggested below.

This log usually is very large, for this reason you should use a host website like Dropbox to post the log.  You can start a free 30 day trial.  Once you have loaded the log at Dropbox post a link to the website.

Edited by dc3, 06 July 2018 - 09:05 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 381 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 06 July 2018 - 08:59 AM

Click/tap on the Search icon (magnifing glass)in the Taskbar and type cdm

I think dc3 meant "CMD" here.

#4 jamesthebud

jamesthebud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2018 - 09:13 AM

Thanks, I had done an sfc scannow check and it turned up nothing, I suppose I should have put that in my query. Anyway, it turned out to be a right context menu problem, and it's fixed now, see edit of my original post, thanks.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 06 July 2018 - 09:19 AM

Just for a future reference.  If you edit a post there is no notice of this sent to other members who are posting in your topic which they would receive if this were a new post.  Rather than editing your post you should just add another post to change whatever needs to be edited. :thumbup2:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 jamesthebud

jamesthebud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2018 - 12:11 PM

Ok, sorry about that. Thanks, I will know for in future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users