Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Realtek Update Driver

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 leis

leis

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 05 July 2018 - 04:03 AM

If I updated my audio driver do i also need to go into System Devices and update the Audio controller?
   Because the current driver I have for win. 7 64 bit, is Realtek's Ver. 6.0.1.8186 (dated 6/14/17)
  while on the High Definition Audio Controller is a Microsoft driver ver. 6.1.7601.17514 (11/19/10)
  and it would seem that the Audio Controller would be Realtek too?

I believe there is a newer Realtek high definition audio driver but i couldn't get it to install correctly or it came with an error code -0001.

Meantime, any information on this question would be appreciated, if so.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 05 July 2018 - 08:21 AM

High Definition Audio Controller is your HDMI connection. If you have a graphics card with HDMI then it would most likely have a different driver than your Realtek HD Audio.

#3 leis

leis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2018 - 01:22 AM

Thank you for that (easy(?)) answer pal. Appreciative and I don't have the HDMI and so, leave 'as is' sounds (speaking of :)) good to me.

Thanks again.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2018 - 06:29 AM

What bothers me is you say you do not have a graphics card with HDMI. Is it possible the computer has it's own HDMI port on the back or side if a laptop? If you do not have a HDMI port then you should not see a High Definition Audio Device in Device Manager under the Sound Category.

#5 leis

leis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2018 - 11:52 PM

John C_21

Thanks for more input of my topic, and if i can present the 2 snippit pics. i took to show the Device Manager w/Devices you can have a better look to see the Audio Controller that i was concerned if or of, when i was reading possible fixes to upgrade the Realtek Driver's 2018 dated upgrade that i believe is the most current (for Win. 7 64 bit too) version that is 2.82...

[Couldn't attach pic. of Audo Controller in Sys. Devices properties but the version driver is: 6.1.7601.17514   dated 11/19/2010  and shows Microsoft] 

But i have no use for HDMI, at any rate, or don't have TV or monitor for it and so that would make sense or of why it wouldn't necessarily have much to do with updating its driver etc..(?)               *(I forgot to mention that i have the Dell 980 Optiplex w/SSD and it's mini .. (that is Small Form Factor(?) tower PC).

Well, last night i went ahead and rolled back to earlier performance (time period before i attempted a few tries to get the 2.82 updated Realtek Driver, but oddly enough (and it is or was--it never turned out or that is ...) the 2018 date wasn't--it was something of an older driver that i believe I had in operation a few upgrades-timing ago...that showed 2016....date! Well...and then the audio manager dashboard was amiss and I didn't want to go into too much grief and decided to re-driver or at least the Driver for the Realtek High Audio (now) is version 6.0.1.8036 dated 1/5/2017.

So, with that bit of run-on (sorry for too much yakidy yak) for now, i think it should be satisfactory. Plus the Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 speakers (deal) add-on is a real home improvement. Or (one-room-home-upgrade:)).

On a more stick to the topic mode, what do you think or if anything, of the RealTek (different) issue I seem to kind of get into when i was scouting out to see if there is or was a newer upgrade for the RealTek driver??

Thanks a lot*

Edited by leis, 06 July 2018 - 11:59 PM.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,962 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 07 July 2018 - 02:25 AM

The High Definition Audio Device driver is a Windows "class driver" which enables any class compliant HD Audio device to work under Windows. Many devices are class compliant, and will operate in class compliant mode on a Windows machine without further drivers being required. I have 2 USB sound modules which will, or do, operate in class compliant mode, and on-board sound will often be class compliant too. So any of these could cause the High Definition Audio Device driver to be present.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/matthew_van_eerde/2010/08/23/troubleshooting-how-to-install-the-microsoft-hd-audio-class-driver/

Edited by Platypus, 07 July 2018 - 02:27 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2018 - 06:53 AM

The High Definition Audio Device driver is a Windows "class driver" which enables any class compliant HD Audio device to work under Windows. Many devices are class compliant, and will operate in class compliant mode on a Windows machine without further drivers being required. I have 2 USB sound modules which will, or do, operate in class compliant mode, and on-board sound will often be class compliant too. So any of these could cause the High Definition Audio Device driver to be present.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/matthew_van_eerde/2010/08/23/troubleshooting-how-to-install-the-microsoft-hd-audio-class-driver/

Thanks. I learned something today.

Edit: Playtpus, The Optiplex 280 has a DisplayPort connection on the back. This would show as HD audio, correct?

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 July 2018 - 07:07 AM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2018 - 07:06 AM

On a more stick to the topic mode, what do you think or if anything, of the RealTek (different) issue I seem to kind of get into when i was scouting out to see if there is or was a newer upgrade for the RealTek driver??

I can't say for sure, sorry. All I know is the Realtek HD Audio driver on their website is R2.82 dated 7/26/2017. I don't know what version that will get you when installed. It's been that version for quite a while. I'm not sure how you got a 2018 date.

FYI you can attach you images by clicking more reply options.

According to your Spec Sheet you have a DisplayPort on the back. That may be why you are getting the High Definition Audio. See page 9.

https://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/optix/en/optiplex-980-tech-guide.pdf

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,962 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 07 July 2018 - 07:37 AM

Thanks. I learned something today.

Edit: Playtpus, The Optiplex 280 has a DisplayPort connection on the back. This would show as HD audio, correct?

Me too :) I'm glad this topic made me look deeper into it.

I'm not sure about the DisplayPort, some references I'm finding seem to suggest expecting the name Intel Display Audio for either DisplayPort or HDMI. It might depend on which generation of interface/driver is involved. But it does look like either can result in the same class driver being present.

Edited by Platypus, 07 July 2018 - 07:39 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users