Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer Aspire 57332 boot loop (sometimes)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Scott1Roberts

Scott1Roberts

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 04 July 2018 - 11:20 PM

I have an acer laptop a client brought in to me here in our small town in the Far North of NZ.

When she starts the laptop it tends to enter a boot loop coming up with the acer splash screen, F2 does not work as an option. Sometimes it boots ok for her.

When I boot it is the opposite, almost always boots but just had the first time it looped out of about 50 restarts.

Details

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

4 GB RAM

Model acer Aspire 5733Z

BIOS version V1.07

The laptop has a wireless keyboard and mouse, the laptop keyboard does not work and keys are missing.

I have reset BIOS to defaults, run SFC (all OK), repaired windows and checked for viruses etc with malwarebytes and Avast, and removed all unnecessary software.

Only thing I can think of is to download and install updated BIOS but not sure how easy this is or risk involved.

Are there any other options or out of the box solutions?

Cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 05 July 2018 - 03:31 AM

I imagine you will be asked to supply some more information...

If Windows is crashing with a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) you need to make some adjustments so the system does not restart automatically and also generates a crash dump file that can be analyzed.

When the system is working make the following adjustments:

On your Desktop right click Computer, Properties, Advanced system settings and make it look like this:

[attachment=205556:1.jpg]

There is no need to create the Minidump folder as Windows will create one if it needs to.

Then click OK enough times to close all the dialog boxes and restart your system for the changes to take effect.  After rebooting you can go back and check the settings again to be sure the adjustments "stick".

That system is one version behind in BIOS but that doesn't mean you need to update the BIOS unless you are pretty sure the update fixes a problem and Acer doesn't seem to give details about what fixes are in the latest version - I would hold off on that until there are most details about the system.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#3 Scott1Roberts

Scott1Roberts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2018 - 04:11 PM

Many thanks Joseibarra for your clear instructions and explanation.

I have made the changes to the windows autorestart as suggested and they stick. Windows was never crashing with BSOD, it either would boot or not boot past the Acer screen.

It boots fine, but that may mean it is solved or not solved only time will tell.

I am also going to discuss with the owner if any unnecessary programs can be removed, as there may be a software conflict somewhere. I don't know that is just an idea.

I have also previously disabled all start up services except two or three which may be important.

Thanks once again I will keep you informed and let you know if the problem is solved.

regards

Scott

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,456 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2018 - 04:29 PM

Deleted.

Sorry, For some reason I was thinking this was Windows 10.

Did you hold Alt + tap F10 at boot for the factory reset?

If the client ever wishes to do a clean install and the computer has a legible key on the COA sticker or this is a retail OS and the client has the key you can download an iso of Windows. See this post.

You can also use Advanced Tokens Manager to back up the Activation and Restore after the clean install. Make a note of the key it finds and use it for the clean install. Then restore the activation from a USB key.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikOykme9UkE

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 July 2018 - 04:51 PM.

#5 Scott1Roberts

Scott1Roberts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2018 - 05:58 PM

Thanks John,

For the moment I have turned off Windows autorestart, also ran a scan with Hitman Pro found 2 major threats and removed as many programs as I could, streamlined start up services, chkdsk and SFC.

As usual it boots perfectly fine for me, if she still has trouble with her boot loop poltergeist I will do a clean install as you recommend.

And on reflection maybe it would have been easier just to do that in the first place, but what I found difficult was the fact that I cannot readily see what is working and what is not as from my end it booted fine 98% of the time.

Thanks for your help.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,456 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2018 - 06:29 PM

Gremlins.

This was similar to a problem in a thread I posted to months ago. The client could never get the computer to boot properly at their home but in the shop it booted perfectly every time. I was thinking that it could be some electrical glitch in the clients home but the problem was never resolved.

Probably a long shot but I would ask the client if they have the computer adapter attached to a power strip or directly to an outlet and if the boot loop happens when connected to an outlet or on battery only. 

#7 Scott1Roberts

Scott1Roberts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2018 - 06:42 PM

Yeah that's good advice, I first suspected a power problem as originally she said it was happening when her daughter ran the battery right down (and the battery isn't that great) and when I did boot up under power here it entered the "resume" function instead of normal boot.

I will follow it up as it just seems something small like this that may be common sense, but not necessarily easy to diagnose.

And the area we live in is probably prone to irregularities in power supply more than any other in NZ.

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users