Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD when running Drudge Report in Chrome?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wjcandee

wjcandee

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 04 July 2018 - 10:43 PM

Actually it has now started to occur at other times, including when I was working on an important document in OpenOffice, but generally it had been in Chrome and usually on the Drudge Report.  (That's what I get, I guess.)  I was thinking maybe some malicious ad code or something triggered something in one of my several security apps, which may or may not play well with each other.  I tried running the driver repair and chkdsk apps, but it's still blowing up.  This after being rock-solid for years.

Thank you in advance for your kind and exceptional help!

Here's the speccy info: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/FvVwjecVgsJUfzi7go0IOks

Thank you again!!

All the best,

William

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,024 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2018 - 11:33 PM

Hi, William,

Can you run the Sysnative BSOD Dump + System File Collection App? Instructions on how to do so are found in the first two steps of this guide.

Are you running an adblocker? If not, I would suggest installing Adblock Plus and see if the BSODs persist.

Regards,

bwv848

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 wjcandee

wjcandee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2018 - 11:39 PM

Thanks!  I thought I attached the BSOD dump.  I did run Sysnative.  Let me try again here below.

Attached Files

#4 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,024 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2018 - 11:48 PM

No problem, IP Board has a finicky upload system!

The one dump file from July 3 shows a messy conflict between your various security programs — Norton, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Norton, and Mozy Home. Have you, first and foremost, tried checking for malware?

I would start the troubleshooting process by temporarily disabling Malwarebytes's Web Protection, which has been quite problematic in the past (not to say that Norton and HitmanPro haven't been problematic). :wink: If BSODs persist, we'll have to start removing each program one by one.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#5 wjcandee

wjcandee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2018 - 11:55 PM

Yes, I run Malwarebytes all the time.  Sadly, I find Malwarebytes tends to be most often the program that blocks the bad sites; rarely does anything else step in to stop me from stepping in it.  Is there another Malware program I should run to verify no malware?

I will definitely turn off the Malwarebytes web protection for now, and be careful where I go! :-)

Thank you so much for the amazing and immediate analysis of my system info!!

#6 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,024 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2018 - 09:57 AM

You're welcome!

Yes, indeed, it's a pity that we have to disable Malwarebytes, but if you only disable web protection, its other features should stay enabled. You can run a "Threat Scan" with Malwarebytes in the mean time to check for malware... just want to make sure you're clean.

#7 wjcandee

wjcandee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2018 - 12:25 PM

Thank you again!  I ran a full system scan with Malwarebytes, and found no problems.  I then ran Norton Power Eraser, and it found nothing.  So hopefully I'm clean...

I guess the next couple of days will tell whether Malwarebytes is the issue.  Meanwhile, I'm loving the ad-killer app you suggested.  Thank you again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users